back to article Boffins offer ROUTER DEATHLIST for software-defined network builders

Unless you've got fathomless pockets, a scary aspect of a software-defined networking implementation is the necessity for an infrastructure upgrade, since nobody wants to forklift every router in a big network all at once. Now, a paper co-authored by Nokia Siemens Networks' Marco Hoffmann proposes a set of algorithms to help …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

“if there's got to be an upgrade, which kit do I nuke first?”

In my mind? The kit to nuke first is the management & marketing bods with absolutely zero clue as to how computers, networking and the attendant security issues actually work in the real world.

But what do I know ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: “if there's got to be an upgrade, which kit do I nuke first?” @jake

"But what do I know ..."

Self-promotion. All the other claims are just unverified Internet noise.

2. P. Lee
      Facepalm

Re: “if there's got to be an upgrade, which kit do I nuke first?”

Nuke the SDN kit first.

Network configs which are totally dynamic so you can't see errors combined with absolutely must have always connectivity to an absolutely must have always functional bit of software.

What could possibly go wrong?

2. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Nope

Not a word.

OK, I did actually understand the words. It's the sentences which threw me.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

So it's an optimization algorithm for 2 point cases in resource allocation.

Why would anyone with a clue who does this sort of work not use some kind of resource allocation algorithm?

4. Roland6 Silver badge

SDN means continuous upgrades...

Whilst the paper provides a good start on a switch over to SDN, the management of the regular updates and security patches to the SDN also needs to be addressed. I expect that we will see such analysis tools being added to the major network management suites.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Software Defined Network/Radios/Whatever, and other damn lies and delusions

How can I put this, in as few words as possible? How about an example: PCs are the perfect example of a Software Defined product, but somehow we still don't like using ten-year-old PC hardware.

The flawed assumption of 'Software Defined' is that the newest software bringing new capabilities will need increasingly powerful hardware to make it work.

Those pushing 'Software Defined' anything, making promises that extend beyond about ten years, are damn liars or deluded idiots. This includes Software Define Radios and the like.

1. jake Silver badge

@AC 12:28 (was: Re: Software Defined Network/Radios/Whatever, and other damn lies and delusions)

This machine (my main day-to-day portable & desktop device) is a near-10 year old HP Pavilion 5000 series laptop, with docking station when at home. It runs slackware-current. It also runs my businesses, without a hiccup in all that time.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my mantra.

No, I'm not an idiot. Yes, I take daily incremental backups, weekly full backups, and have several alternate bits of hardware that can take over ... the GNU tool-set makes that easy.

This topic is closed for new posts.