back to article CERN releases retro 'Line Mode' browser

The history-conscious chaps at CERN have wound back the clock to 1992 by releasing a “line-mode browser” emulator. Reg readers doubtless recall that the first web browsers were text-only affairs, until a young fellow called Marc Andreessen had the bright idea that lots more people could be interested by the World Wide Web if …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Quxy
    WTF?

Retro?

What is so "retro" about a text-mode HTML browser?

I use Elinks on a daily basis (even with X, graphical browsers suck at the other end of a 50ms link) and find it an indispensible tool.

1. Thecowking

Re: Retro?

Quite, this reply is written in elinks, which I use just about every day.

I actually prefer the lack of adverts, (most) photos and videos distracting from the content of the sites I read.

Though for LOHAN articles, of course I open Firefox for the full experience, if you know what I mean.

2. jake Silver badge

Text is considered "retro"? That's sad.

I still use Lynx regularly ... 99.99%+ of everything useful online is text.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Text is considered "retro"? That's sad.

But but... what about cats' videos?

Oh, useful you said.

1. WraithCadmus

A Lynx is a cat, surely that's close enough?

I do use Lynx from time to time, usually to obfuscate sites I need to quickly pop on and check when I should be working.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I still use Lynx regularly ... 99.99%+ of everything useful online is text."

You're so predictable, jake :)

4. RAMChYLD

Lynx? First text-based browser I've ever used (downloaded the MS-DOS version back when I was performance crazy and made my Pentium-166 run MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 because it booted up exponentially faster than Windows 95. That was before I discovered the wonderful world of Linux and it's distros).

1. keithpeter Silver badge
        Windows

Lynx was the first Web browser I used as well, but that was via a Unix box in London (business rate modem dialup!). I had a VT100 session on my Acorn A3000. Then we got a TCP/IP stack and a graphical Web browser (that could save the entire rendered page as a !Draw file). Fun times.

3. Chris Gray 1
    Go

Another oldy here

"Pine" is retro? I use it for reading email, and sending anything with an attachment. If I send something without an attachment, I use /bin/mail. Way faster than messing around with a mouse and a GUI thing. When I got this system, I tried switching to a GUI email client to go "modern", but it wouldn't let me use an external editor (emacsclient), so I quickly reverted to the tools that work for me.

4. Awil Onmearse
    Flame

Nothing wrong with text.

Somehow "A picture paints a thousand words" got hijacked into being "A picture requires a thousand lines of buggy javascript and a thousand lines of retarded CSS in order to position a box on a fucking page".

Whaddya mean "penis-enlargement ads actually deliver?"

1. Crisp

Hey! Don't knock the CSS box model!

Seriously! Don't! It will probably fall over if you do!

5. Tommy Pock

ah, man

That green-on-black gave my eyes such a rest. I could sit and read the phonebook on a screen like that.

I'm going to find a CBM PET for sale, I'm done with all of this modern crap

6. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Don't forget you have alpine as well - which unlike pine is still being actively developed. And frankly I know more people using mutt and alpine than I know people using thunderbird or even shudder outlook.

Know enough people that use elinks/w3m/lynx/links etc... to browse the web as well.

7. spider from mars

Pine

I used Pine up until about 2005, when the company I worked for finally blocked outgoing ssh connections..

8. PJI

MH

Nobody use MH? Most flexible and excellent. You could almost automate making tea in response to a distribution list email.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MH

> You could almost automate making tea in response to a distribution list email.

Can see a different type of DoS attack coming.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: MH

I used MH for a little while, circa 1990 if memory serves. It was OK, but for the few things I used it for, it didn't have much advantage over home-grown scripts scraping the mail directory, or hacking sendmail.cf to send particular messages directly to scripts.

9. lozhurst

Text mode browsers essential for webdev

Any web developer worth their salt and working on public facing sites makes sure it renders sensibly in a text-mode browser, since that's how most screen readers see the web. Not only do we want to make our websites accessible for the differently-abled, we often have a legal obligation to.

10. Down not across

"They do, however, make your correspondent wonder if it's time to bring back the Pine and Elm mailreaders..."

What do you mean bring back?

That infers that one would've moved away from them. Ok pine could be replaced with alpine if you need something that is actively worked on. And no mention of mutt. Tssk.

1. Nearly Anonymous
      Headmaster

Development on both Pine and Alpine have officially stopped; so from that perspective, the author is correct in wanting to bring back Pine. However, they are succeeded by Realpine. UW did not want to fund further development, so it was off-loaded to be entirely volunteer maintained though not much actual progress. I'm hoping it gains better integration with g/pgp.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like