back to article WD embraces C word* and hews HDD handles from NAS kit

Western Digital is re-branding its MyBook Live line of basic NAS boxes to better stress the device’s personal cloud capabilities. So yes, from today they will be called MyCloud drives. They’ll also getting new internals, a revamped casing and upgraded software for devices that want to tap into the drives’ storage. Inside, you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nigel 11
    Thumb Down

Stupid design

Another triumph of marketing over simple mechanical safety. Give it a nudge or snarl its cables, and it'll fall over. What happens when an active spinning rust drive falls about six inches into its stable (flat) orientation?

Kiss your data goodbye.

Vertical is for paper books and cereal cartons, which aren't damaged by taking a tumble.

1. Tom Samplonius

Re: Stupid design

"Another triumph of marketing over simple mechanical safety."

I have the previous model, which has basically the same shape, and it has never tipped over. The weight is mostly at the bottom, and it is wider than it appears. It fits well on my network table, so for me it is an ideal shape.

A 6" drop is unlikely to cause any damage to a modern disk. Not to mention, the drive is probably shock mounted too.

1. Nigel 11

Re: Stupid design

Are you willing to try tipping your 3.5 inch book driver onto its side while it is active transferring data? Repeatedly? Active is worse than just spinning. A friend lost 2Tb this way.

As for weight at the bottom, that won't help if something snags the cables. Indeed, even a flat USB drive on a table-top can be vulnerable to being pulled off the table by its cables if they get tangled with a vacuum cleaner or played with by a pet or a small child. But vertical is far, far more vulnerable.

2. The First Dave

How exactly do the "Fat pipes" that Dropbox have, affect the speed (or lack thereof) of my broadband?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Boffin

Because if you were to depend solely on your NAS box your download speed when connecting to it from elsewhere would, in the best case, be limited to your home broadband's upload speed instead of the other connection's download speed.

1. P. Lee

I'd rather keep things at home and just use a VPN to protect the services from direct attacks. Sync at home and there's not much you need to transfer on the go.

3. Dr Gerard Bulger

Does it still have SSH?

The WD DRIVEs were SLOW but at least you could get SSH root access to the PowerPC Debian running it, so could make it do more useful things, tunnel and sock proxy for a start.

I wonder if the "upgrade" locks that out.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like