back to article VMware vSAN test pilots: Don't panic but there's a chance of DATA LOSS

VMware's vSAN isn't just giving storage appliance vendors a lot to worry about: it's also giving users plenty to consider because it erases data under some circumstances. Panic not, gentle readers: the tool is in beta and Virtzilla's engineers are onto the problem. But the problem is out there, and VMware has been kind enough …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. An0n C0w4rd

AHCI has "known issues" with VSAN?

Really? Given that AHCI is a default industry standard for cheap SATA controllers to emulate (including a lot of the on-board controllers on most motherboards), I somewhat suspect that should be

"VSAN has a known issue with AHCI"

Given that the rest of the bloody planet has figured out how to work with these controllers, I somewhat suspect vmware are doing something wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AHCI has "known issues" with VSAN?

I'm similarly confused, especially after designing and building a 12 TB SAN with an extra 1 TB of Flashy-goodness for in-between. This isn't rocket science, even though I can also do that.

2. James 100

Heck of a broad problem scope

So, not a problem with, say, "Intel's 2012 mid-range AHCI controller" - but "AHCI". As in, "pretty much all SATA controllers from the last decade" - and like the first two comments here point out, since everybody else has figured our how to work with AHCI perfectly well by now, it does sound as if VMWare have done something very dim. Apart from anything else, a problem with all AHCI controllers seems to rule out specific implementation issues on the controller side.

Still, just as well it's been caught in beta: they'd be in a whole world of pain if their SAN got caught eating production data in a full release.

3. toughluck
    Headmaster

IOPs?

What's IOP? The article uses a pluralization form of IOPs. Obviously IOPS is I/O Operations Per Second, but IOP?

1. theblackhand

Re: IOPs?

IOP is "Incorrect acrOnym annoys Pedant"

Did it work?

4. TtttttUuuuuuu

Awesome. Uneventful release details packaged as sensational news. Many thanks as my managers actually react to your scare tactics.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Click and Greek

That's why they call it BETA, however, considering the word is of greek origin, I suppose, is hard to understand.

"news for clicks article".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like