back to article APPLE is the new COCA-COLA: Bubble-beverage globocorp beaten by Foxconn rebrander

Apple and Google have overtaken Coca-Cola to be named the number one and two brands in the world, respectively, according to a bunch of consultants. The fruity firm took the top spot in Interbrand's run down of the world's biggest brands, followed by the web advertising giant in second place. There were five other tech …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Until you get shaken down by border crossing guards

for "Google" or "Apple" money, I'm willing to bet Coca Cola is still more recognizable in most parts of this globe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Until you get shaken down by border crossing guards

If that's the criteria then Jack Daniels and Playboy would also feature.

2. El_Fev

@AC 16:00 GMT

True that, when it copmes to brand recognition you will have to go aways before you pass either coca cola or the Mouse!

1. Tom 35

Re: @AC 16:00 GMT

Oracle? Cisco? Do average people even know they exist let along what they make. Even GE is largely out of the consumer eye now.

So another pointless list.

1. Rampant Spaniel

I was thinking the same, especially re GE. Whilst they have a very diverse portfolio of products they aren't hugely advertised. It's not an in your face branding operation. Sure they make microwaves and plane engines and light bulbs but I don't ever actually recall anyone mentioning their or seeing an advert for them.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

GE makes no sense on this list

I only know they exist because I buy their lamps if I can't get Ushio - a brand it's pretty likely none of you commentards have heard of.

As a consumer brand they simply don't exist, unlike say Philips.

As an industrial manufacturer GE are huge.

1. Lottie

Re: GE makes no sense on this list

I thought that GE were making big in roads in to personal/ corporate finance, banking and the like? I know that in the UK they aren't huge, but ISTR that in the Czech republic they are mahoosive.

3. Anonymous Blowhard

"according to a bunch of consultants"

Says it all really.

4. Alistair
    Coat

Larry Ellison apparently needs to get himself new luggage.

;

Mines the one in my carry on bag in the overhead......

1. Toothpick
      Happy

Re: Larry Ellison apparently needs to get himself new luggage.

Shouldn't that be

Mines the one in my carry on Louis Vuitton bag in the overhead......

5. Tromos

"seamless omnichannel experience"

That can only have come from one of those random buzzphrase generators.

1. Fatman
      WTF?

Re: "seamless omnichannel experience"

That can only have come from one of those random buzzphrase generators drug fueled marketing bullshit brainstorming sessions.

6. Toastan Buttar

Sugared Water

"Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life? Or do you want to come with me and change the world?"[

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"A.C.M.E." consultanting.

I can literally walk .06 miles and pull a Coca-Cola product out of a machine for $1.

If I do not ingest a Coca-Cola product on a regular basis, other people start to worry.

Currently enjoying a Coca-Cola product as I post this comment without using Apple or Google products.

This list is bullshit, I can't believe you published it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "A.C.M.E." consultanting.

So the accessibility of Coke means they should be #1? The mere fact you were able to post that without the help of Apple or Google? I assume you also posted it without the help of Coke, and indeed I may go weeks without a Coke product but I use Apple and Google products daily. So what?

What about the fact that Apple makes 100x more per iPhone or Mac sale than Coke makes per sale? Or that Google makes 1000x as many "sales" (ad impressions) per person on Earth than Coke sells cans/bottles of their products?

There are a lot of ways to measure success. Whether these guys are right or not vis a vis Apple, Google and Coke depends on how you weigh all the various factors. You may not agree with the weighing these guys make, but that's doesn't make them wrong and you right.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "A.C.M.E." consultanting.

"What about the fact that Apple makes 100x more per iPhone or Mac sale than Coke makes per sale? "

A sale is based on a human. In this case, a human that is a fan of Apple, Google, or Coca-Cola. Considering that human, and those 3 companies, which company is going to make more off that human?

I can't tell if you're just trending Apple or Google, or one of those people who think anything tech. is godly, but if you are one of those people who has or ever will click 1000 ads supplied by Google...well...

8. Tomato42

Oracle?! For consumer brands?! I don't know what they are smoking but it's helluva strong.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

coca cola and apple definitely changed my life

when I drank sugary Coke regularly I was a lot fatter, so much so I got diagnosed with fatty liver.

Quitting it helped reverse the damage.

Apple well they changed my life, my daughter has emptied my bank account getting me to get her shiny-shit made by them.

Apple music , now they were okay , I quite like listenning to the Beatles.

1. EPurpl3

Re: coca cola and apple definitely changed my life

Apple music? Beatles?? WTF???

10. Shades

Interbrand advert made by Interbrand

So the people who made the list, Interbrand, and make the secret sauce for their "valuation" of global brands, are also a brand management company who can count, in one way or another, 24 brands in the list (or at least the brand owners) as their clients. Whats the betting that Interbrand has more clients in that list than any other brand management company (or companies, for those that may manage their own brands). I highly suspect that the "Best Global Brands" list is nothing more than an advert for Interbrand... "Hey, look at us. We've got 24 brands in the top 100, thats more than anyone else!"

11. Avatar of They
    WTF?

Eh?

“The top 100 most valuable global brands are unlocking their value by participating, listening, learning, and sharing – and not just with leaders from within their organization, but...”

But they don't share, they sue, argue, steal from, hissy fight, slag off, sulk about and bitch about eachother.

And Gillette, Louis Vitton - Do they make hand bags and shoes, I think I saw them in harrods once???? General Electric isn't a household brand, you have to be in the industry to have heard of them.

Mercedes Benz beat Ford?

What a stupidly odd list and very confusing criteria to mark them as a world brand.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like