back to article Uh-oh Google Glassholes: Sugar daddy Intel strokes HUD goggles upstart

Intel has joined an industry-wide drive to make hopeless geeks look totally ridiculous - by ploughing cash into wearable-computing startup Recon Instruments. Chipzilla has made a "significant investment" into Recon, which makes head-mounted displays for sporty types. Intel could end up squaring off with Google, the maker of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

make hopeless geeks look totally ridiculous

You'd kind of hope a technology site would be a little more forward thinking than to pooh-pooh prototype technology because "it looks stupid". The same could have been said about early mobile phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: make hopeless geeks look totally ridiculous

You're making the mistake of thinking that a tech site has to worship technology or its users uncritically. Not every piece of tat is a good idea.

Early cellphones performed an immediate and highly useful function and didn't need to be perched on your face.

glasses seem to be a solution looking for a problrm,

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"You'd kind of hope a technology site would be a little more forward thinking"

I'm surprised that it's not completely apparent by now that we are, by and large, a collection of colossal cynics.

C.

1. M.D.

I don't know about "colossal cynics"; more like "colossal Conservatives".

Increasingly, El Reg & Readers have encompassed sarcasm over satire.

Personally, I think Google Glass is at least an example of something new. Who knows where it will take us? Ponderous so-called wit (I mean, "Glassholes" for Pete's sake - straight out of the schoolyard that one).

Unimpressed. Very.

...and for the 'don't read then' brigade, given that in '97 El Reg was permanent fixture on my desktop and these days it's something that deserves no more than a headline-skim every other day...QED

2. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Holmes

Recon look much more practical and "hardcore"

They have real practical products which looks like they can take some abuse, unlike Google's toy.

Now if they could project it wider like proper HUD, then we'd be talking proper immersion experience.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Offline version, please?

I could see glasses becoming a thing that some folks would wear, but could we please get an offline version. It'd just make everything a lot simpler for us regular folks

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

Imagine that

Google Glass' style coupled with Intel's x86 power requirements and design freed from the constraints of miniaturisation.

5. Robert E A Harvey

Good luck to them

I think it is good that some people are looking for another way to do things. I just spent a whole working day on what is really a 19th century typewriter interface with inexhaustible paper.

Maybe the HUD is not the next big thing, but we won't know till a few have tried different ideas.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like