back to article Redmond expands fanboi trade-in program to include iPhones

Microsoft has expanded its trade-in program for iOS devices to include iPhones, in addition to iPads. Earlier this month, the software giant began offering customers in the US and Canada $200 gift certificates to the Microsoft Store in exchange for iPad trade-ins, in hopes that customers would spend the dough on a Surface …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Desperate times call for desperate measures eh boys?

Gentlemen, it is now pub O'Clock.

1. LarsG

Tesco has a Surface on display next to a load of ebook devices, I have never seen anyone even look at it let alone try it out.

It is not often in life I can say with all honesty that 'they are really taking the piss!

I sold a pristine 4S for £190 and have had someone offer me £350 for a pristine 5.....

I'd love to know the stats on how many trade ins they get...

2. Chad H.

Comparison?

How much is apple offering in their trade in for iDevices?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crap deal of the year

Might as well say I'll swap you this dog turd for a gold bar.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

how else are they ....

(microsoft employees) supposed to get free iDevices?

5. Bob Vistakin
    Linux

Stay away - Windows Phone is a Burning Platform

It's about to get the Flop treatment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stay away - Windows Phone is a Burning Platform

Well I stated Windows Phone 7 was a 'stepping stone' product as it wouldn't be able to run the NT Kernel, which was then an obvious progression (to anyone that knows about these things), as Ballmer has been critical of Apple of its two separate OS's.

...And boy did I get slated by the MS shill brothers, stating MS would never kill the existing WP7 Platform ecosystem, WP7 Users would be offered a full upgrade. How wrong they were.

The only flames you'll see imminently are the one's aimed at you. (But if the 5C drops to £329, Windows Phone is well and truely dead in the water for Enterprise use, which means you're probably right)

You have to give it to Apple, the rollout of iOS 7 has been pretty impressive.

Microsoft need to be brave, and ditch Metro/Modern Interface, there is no love, and no love will be lost.

Very Brave would be licensing iOS Apps platform from Apple, running those in a virtual machine and having a native engine for new MS Apps.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Stay away - Windows Phone is a Burning Platform

"Stepping stone" might be rather apt, as they would seem to have enough leftovers of most of their products to ford a few major rivers rather fetchingly.

6. adnim

Who at Microsoft....

dreamed this idea up?

Users in general want to *UPGRADE*.

People will not sell a device for less than its second hand market value.

No further research is necessary to realise that is is an entirely one way proposition.

Any takers must subconsciously wish to harm themselves.

1. Marvin the Martian

Re: Who at Microsoft....

The surface pro has its uses. It has pressure sensitivity, so for cartoonists it's a very definite upgrade from an ipad (also as it runs Illustrator natively)... The next step is a Wacom pressure sensitive monitor for a few thousand quid, so it's clear that for most the Pro is the only game in town. (Drawing on a tablet with the result seen on a screen is so much less responsive than drawing on the screen.)

That's a world market of at least a few hundred.

1. Charles Manning

Perhaps that explains everything

A niche joke product for cartoonists. Once every cartoonist has one, the market is saturated.

Win8 Surface RT/Pro are at least MS's 4th tilt at the tablet platform and thus far they have all been absolute disasters.

Upping the specs for the next range of tablets will do nothing. It isn't the MHz or Mbytes that are wrong, but the whole ecosystem.

In the past attempts, Microsoft were hoping to make great inroads into big organisations with people that need their data on the move. A classic case of this would be hospitals with a huge computerised record-keeping system and the medical staff having tablets where they could pull up patient records/drug info as they need. Of course such a system would use MS from the back-end to the front end.

Web-based data presentation has largely killed this dream. Once large data systems got a web front-end, pretty much any device could be used. Why would anyone choose a product from a company with no commitment to its non-core products?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Landfill iPhones for Landfill Windows Phones

what a bargain.

How about trading in either for a Nexus 4? (or a Nexus 5)

1. LarsG

Re: Landfill iPhones for Landfill Windows Phones

Trade for a Nexus 4?

That could have won the best joke at the Edinburgh Festival....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Desperate.

9. Andrew_b65

'at least' $200 is a good trade-in

Remember, Amerkins will have 'paid' either $99 or $199 for these phones two years ago, so getting what you 'paid' for a phone back as a trade-in credit looks like a good deal.

1. Steve Todd

Re: 'at least' $200 is a good trade-in

Even merkins have to pay much more than that if they need to replace the handset inside of the contract period due to loss or damage. An iPhone 4 can fetch $200 on the used market and prices go up from there.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The stench of fear apparently now has a price as well as an odour.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Total backfire - just leaves people thinking you can trade in your valuable iDevice for a device we are desperate to sell...

12. Peter 39

wider? NOT

Most conspicuous by its absence is any mention of trade-in of Surface and Surface Pro for new kit.

You think MS would want to get shinies in fans' hands a.s.a.p., wouldn't you.

13. cd

Will they throw in a free Zune?

14. mikehulen42

No love for Iphone 3GS

It's a shame that apple didn't include this for all the I phone 3 users. We weren't even giving a chance to get the new software. I love the I phone but the way Apple has handled its older phones is disgraceful.

15. d3rrial

This is good news for thieves: Selling stolen iPhones is much easier now.

16. Pete the not so great

Crap exchange rate

I'd expect 5 times that rate in MS$

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like