back to article '200 million' fanbois using iOS 7 just a week after release - study

Half of all American iOS users have now updated to the latest operating system, analysts have claimed, while Apple itself reckons 200 million devices worldwide are now running iOS 7. Just a week after the release of iOS 7, eggheads from Chitika Insights found that 52 per cent of web traffic generated by Apple mobile devices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can Android match this kind of update?

Doubtful and that's down to fragmentation and the fact that manufacturers and service providers are only interested in selling new phones and fail to support older ones.

Both manufacturers and service providers should be legally obliged to at least support the product fully, with updates etc for at least the entire length of the original 24 month contract.

1. eSeM

I would expect that at least 95% of people owning Android devices couldn't care less about fragmentation .... so long as they can play music & videos, access facebook, send SMS messages ..... and make telephone calls they will be happy with what they have.

1. chams

Trying to work out if you're being critical of Android users or stating that Android users use their phones for what they were designed for?

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

@chams

He's being critical of Jasper's incessant Apple-bashing. The man gets on my tits too; it's one thing to have an opinion that one platform is better than another, and in extreme cases it may even be justified; but Jasper is just plain insulting.

2. Observer1959

You forgot and get everything for free. Most Android users don't like to pay for things.

2. julianh72

I guess you missed the memo!

"Can Android match this kind of update?

Doubtful and that's down to fragmentation ..."

Google has separated an awful lot of what used to be "core" OS functionality out of the OS itself, and put it into the Apps, which can be maintained by user updates from the Play store, even on devices which are stick on older OEM / Telco "skinned" versions f Android.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/balky-carriers-and-slow-oems-step-aside-google-is-defragging-android/

All this talk of "Android Fragmentation" is massively overblown.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Not all iOS devices are the same. In general, the older the device, the more missing features there are, even though the OS version is the same across all of them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Clearly that is true - no point allowing features if the hardware (for instance a front facing camera or suitably fast CPU does not exist int he device) - but they are still supported and the bulk of the features do work.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"iOS 7 doesn't include all features on older phones"

Yeah, so what? OS updates are about more than features, even if you don't care about getting any new features at all you may care about getting bugs fixed and certainly should care about getting security issues fixed. So maybe the 3gs didn't get Siri or a front camera from the updates. Getting it to 6.1.4 - just under FOUR YEARS of updates - did get some security issues fixed and some nice performance boosts in the browser.

For those who don't buy one of the big name Androids like Galaxy S or Nexus and never get a single OS update, what is recommended for them to deal when security issues come to light? Root it and install generic Android or toss it and buy a new one?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can Android match this kind of update?

As far as I can see from the string of articles written by Jasper Hamill, that's not news or even an observation you'll ever hear from him. I normally don't go personal, but I do have one expectation of someone calling themselves a journalist and that they are aware of their own bias and seek to preserve neutrality - I don't see that here. The word choice alone is a hint.

What you thus get is not news, it's interpretation in a certain light, and if I want that I'll read the Sun (not that I ever would but it's to illustrate just how much I loath a journalist going soapbox).

I use 3 platforms (and an very old Nokia 6310), and I have yet to find a compelling reason to label the users of any other platform as x, y or z. Reporting, yes, inflicting your biases on your audience quickly gets irritating.

Oh, and as for iOS 7, I appreciate the control centre and the fact that I can block individual users (as long as they don't call with number hidden, of course), but I'm on the fence on the design.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

24 months is still a joke - Apple support their stuff for much longer - so part of the increased sales of Android devices is the fact many are effectively junked after 12-18-24 months whereas iDevices are still going at 3-4+ years (probably about twice as long on average).

1. Observer1959

Which could also be one of the resons they also have a good resale value.

6. Mark .

Remember "iPhone 4S fans ruin 3G, calls, texts for EVERYONE"?

Not this Apple-spin masquerading as news again.

1. Quite frankly, who cares - if you want to run the latest Android version, get a Nexus. Otherwise, stop complaining.

2. Remember what happens when the latest IOS is pushed out without the service providers being able to test it?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/11/vodafone_ios6_1_software_problem/ - "iPhone 4S fans ruin 3G, calls, texts for EVERYONE"

3. When Apple release an update, features are still disabled on older phones. So it's misleading to say that all these phones are running "IOS 7", when that may be different operating systems on different phones. On WP, they labelled them differently (WP 7.8 vs 8). On Android, yes it might be a bit more annoying that older phones may not get a newer OS at all, but if they're not capable of running the new features, it's not much difference. Also remember that most Android phones don't run vanilla Android, so comparing Android versions is misleading, instead they run OSs that go on a different release schedule (e.g., a Samsung S4 is already running the latest version of TouchWiz - whatever Android version it's based on. Similarly I don't know if Android 4.3 uses the latest Linux version, but even if it didn't, that doesn't mean my Nexus isn't running the latest OS version, because it doesn't run plain Linux).

4. Let's compare on when different platforms get features, rather than an arbitrary thing like "OS version". Since Android phones already had the IOS 7 features months or years ago, who cares?

Point 2 is a particular issue. If it was just the case that it caused problems for iphones, well you've got the tradeoff between quick updates and full testing, where it's a matter of opinion which balance is best. But when it comes to messing things for *other people* that's inexcusable.

I'm worried that Apple are still allowed to push the updates out despite the risk to other users, and if nothing else, it's a double standard if they are allowed to do this, but other platforms still have to be held up by the networks.

And it's also sad that people are still spinning this as a plus point for Apple, when it has this known risk to *other users*.

2. jake Silver badge

During the meanwhile ...

... how many devices, world-wide, are running Linux?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: During the meanwhile ...

Who cares?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: During the meanwhile ...

Beeelions....

3. Wam

Stats Pedant

50% of web traffic < 50% of devices, I would suggest

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Stats Pedant

That's not what they said. They said that of the devices that access the web, 50% of them run IOS7. Unique devices, not aggregated traffic.

You're correct that not all devices regularly connect to the web, but there's no strong reason to assume that running iOS6 or iOS7 is statistically significant in whether or not the device owner will browse the web, so the inference they draw (that the web-browsing section of the userbase is representative of the whole) is still reasonably valid.

The reason for such high adoption is basically that firstly, there are no carrier-customised builds of iOS, so one build can go onto every device, and second: an iPhone is more likely to be hooked up to a PC regularly, because of its symbiotic relationship with the execrable iTunes, and this makes users more likely to know that an update is available. Third, Apple publicise their phone OS releases to an extent that Google or MS do not - outside of the tech-press bubble, I'm willing to bet that more people will have heard of "iOS7" than "Android Jellybean" or "Windows Phone 8 GDR3"

1. Wam

I'm referring to the first sentence:

"Half of all American iOS users have now updated to the latest operating system"

I can't argue with your comments on high uptake - but I'm also suggesting teh strong possibility that those users who update early are likely to use the internet on their phones more than the average.

2. Steve Todd

Re: Stats Pedant - @kristian Walsh

As of iOS 6 there is no need for iTunes. iOS devices are perfectly capable of backing themselves up to the cloud and upgrading without ever have been connected to a PC.

2. Annihilator
      Boffin

Even more so, 50% of iDevices, but not all of these iDevices will be capable of running iOS 7, so it's yet another meaningless stat. For all we know, 50% of devices are capable, meaning that it's a 100% conversion rate. Or all of the devices are capable (unlikely - 3GS and below will still be out there) meaning it's only a 50% conversion rate.

So all we know, it's definitely "more than half".

3. Captain Queeg

Or equally possibly >50%, impossible to say. We can opine about it perhaps but as IOS and android are probably about on a par in terms of average usage levels 50% is as good a yardstick as any.

Unless of course we have strong citations that IOS devices are used for browsing more or less web traffic than Android ones.

4. Daniel Bower

Extrapolation of data

The marketing persons dream way of making numbers seem higher than they actually are...

5. JDX Gold badge

Are most people updating deliberately, or because their device asked them if they wanted to? I only ask because my iPad only told me yesterday that iOS7 was available - that was the first notification I got on the device.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple users 'use' their devices more (on average) so they are aware of the update and want the new features / look.

1. Jediben
        Gimp

Apple users 'mindlessly follow' their devices more (on average) so they are aware of the update and "slavishly accepted" the new features/look.

1. JDX Gold badge

So the reason Android users don't update the OS to fix bugs and security flaws is because they're too smart?

1. Jediben

No, it's more a matter of actually bothering to see what the release notes contain first, rather than

"Oooh iPhone says "Press to update"

<press>

"What did that just do?"

2. PJI

Ignorance rools KO

iPhones actually prompt any user with a data plan or wifi that there is an update available. No need to hunt or even know beforehand. The notification includes a summary of what is in the update.

So, nothing to do with excessive fans or slavish following. Just as on your PC or some Linux distributions, if you are connected to the internet, you will be notified of available updates on the device.

I am sure that Android devices are wonderful, extra-terrestrial or God-given gifts to mankind. But how do they notify users of updates on all devices as soon as the update is released?

6. Jerome

At least get the facts right

Apple published a PR 4 days after the release of iOS 7 that there were 200 million devices running iOS 7.

Presenting 4 days later as "one week later" is not very serious.

7. CBR1100XX
    Stop

Easy now...

I've upgraded to IOS 7, but I really wouldn't class myself as a fanboi. My contract's up next month and I'm seriously considering defecting to Android. Just need to convince myself to write-off my existing app purchases...

8. chams

It's cause they're dying for a change

Adoption rate does not surprise me. Apple users who haven't yet jumped ship to Android are dying for a change but are daunted by the huge selection options when it comes to Android phones. So they linger about Apple and gobble up whatever rubbish is released immediately, hoping that they'll get the change they're all vying for.

1. Steve Todd

Re: It's cause they're dying for a change

I hate to point this out to you, but market research shows more people jumping TOO Apple than away from it. Market share data ignores the facts that (1) the market is increasing in size dramatically and (2) much of the new market is in bargain basement devices that are free on contract to subscribers who should have otherwise chosen a dumb or feature phone.

Most Apple users were perfectly happy with iOS 6, and more than likely there's going to be some backlash because they didn't want it to change. Personally I'm on the whole happy with it (particularly features like being able to tell it just to get on and auto-upgrade apps without bothering me) but you shouldn't confuse the wants and likes of tech bloggers with the core audience.

9. returnmyjedi

Those poor sorry souls, having such a buggy migraine inflected upon them. I can say that as I'm one of them, and have been enjoying how stuttery and crash happy my iPad has been since updating. Cheers Messrs Cook, Ive et al!

1. El_Fev

Yeah sure you have an iPad :S

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
      Boffin

Hard reset

Have you tried hard resetting your iPad? My iPad 3 was a stuttery mess after upgrading until I did a clean and reset. Three options (#1 worked for me) in order of increasing pain-in-the-ass-ness.

Try closing all apps, then doing a hard reset (press power+home buttons for 15secs); wait at least 1min before turning on again.

If this doesn't work, try a factory reset then setting up your iPad as a new device, then restoring from a backup.

And if this doesn't work, try setting up as a new device then manually reinstalling your downloaded apps + content.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: Hard reset

Why the thumbs down people? It either works for you or it doesn't - no need to get all grumpy about it.

Sheesh...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

iOS 7.0.2 is out already and solves a few of the initial buglets.

10. Frankee Llonnygog

Apple itself would have you believe there are now 200 million devices running iOS7

Bastards! Trying to make us believe something, just because it's true.

11. ThatGuy

Why all the guesswork?

They should just get the actual numbers from the NSA.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

50% of US users?

half of US users, 200 million world-wide have upgraded.

Surely their OS6 wasn't THAT bad?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 50% of US users?

It's not - the other half could be running devices that cannot be upgraded or are waiting for the inevitable initial bugs to be ironed out. But 7.0.2 is actually out - so suspect many will have been resolved and we're only just over a week from launch.

13. Killraven

Fanbois... or just Users?

Yet another byline failure.

My wife has an iPad Mini, that she only got because she needs it for school. Last week she got a message along the lines of "A system update is available. Install now?".

So... she's a fanboi now?

Silly bloggers.

14. RonWheeler

A lot of

colour-blind hipsters out there.

15. heyrick Silver badge

Yes, thanks...

Updated to iOS7. Runs okay, looks terrible and has *no* sense of style. I'd go back to iOS6 if I could - and maybe this is why Apple have nobbled the ability to roll back? It would tarnish their image to have percentages who "just think different" and say no?

16. Alan Denman

Haters hit the boot camp .....

and there is no way back.

That's how you deal with dissent, give them zero choice. Tails permanently between their legs, they are owned forever because they simply have zero choice.

Slavery has never been such fun.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like