back to article A Tapestry of network complexity

Forget drawing network maps or sending your network management software on an epic tour of auto-discovery: a group getting ready to launch an open-source “network complexity scoring” tool says it's all about the endpoint. Infoblox, part of the Flowforwarding.org SDN (software defined networking) community, is prepping the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mother Hubbard
    Terminator

>> The equation (below as an image) is a statistical expression of the size of sub-communities in the network, based on the statistical concept of the H-index.

Bloody genius!

So now we can standardise the X-axis complexity milestones - from lowest to highest complexity;

- Home / Small Office

- LAN Party

- Telco

- Homogeneous global enterprise (Facebook / Amazon / Google / Twitter / Salesforce)

- Legacy global enterprise (IBM / HP / Microsoft)

- Any Data Centre more than 30 years old (National Governments, Universities, Hospitals)

- HAL

- Orac

- Amanfrommars

- We will add your distinctiveness to our own

- R2D2

2. jake Silver badge

Spanning tree, in other words.

Whatever.

See Radia Perlman's work when she was at DEC.

(I know you hate the lime-light, bud, but you really deserve a pat on the back, IMO.)

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: Spanning tree, in other words.

This is not 'Whatever' material. It has the potential to be genuinely extremely useful, not to mention being a very creative way of looking at topography and analysing bottlenecks. STP is complementary to this approach.

Tapestry != STP.

3. Gareth Gouldstone

Older Tapestry

Remember this?

http://www.cbronline.com/news/torus_systems_launches_tapestry_6_pack

How time (and technology) flies.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not getting it

Based on the info in this article, and a pdf from the linked website, I'm far from convinced that measuring the number of DNS queries vs hosts on my network, and turning this into a number using an equation == measuring the complexity of my network

What if they spend their whole day on Facebook. Is that "My Network", or do we magically exclude all DNS requests that aren't part of my network from analysis? If so, how do I include cloud services?

It's very unclear how this is supposed to anything useful to me that I couldn't already do by analysing DNS logs on my existing DNS servers

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like