back to article Dedupe-dedupe, dedupe-dedupe-dedupe: Flashy clients crowd around Permabit diamond

Putative OEM deduplication technology supplier Permabit could be about to land some clients, if a recent analyst's note is anything to go by. Stifel Nicolaus analyst Aaron Rakers sent a note around about private talks with Permabit CEO Tom Cook and what's happening with its Albireo deduplication technology - background here. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim 59

Dedupe

Dedupe was killed by encryption. You can't dedupe encrypted data

1. Dave Hilling

Re: Dedupe

Pure claims to do 256 AES and heavy de-dupe so you appear to be wrong.

1. Charles Manning

claim != evidence

"Pure claims to do 256 AES and heavy de-dupe so you appear to be wrong."

How many debunked cold fusion claims are out there?

1. Dave Hilling

Re: claim != evidence

Considering they are used by the DOD and other 3 letter agencies I would count that it is as its a requirement in many instances.

2. Dave Hilling

Re: claim != evidence

http://gigaom.com/2013/05/29/pure-storage-nets-new-cash-from-in-q-tel-to-fund-flash-for-all/

2. Nate Amsden

wouldn't you just encrypt post dedupe?

or encrypt at a lower level (e.g. self encrypting HD, or in line SAN fabric)

now onto my main question, can El reg be so kind as to enlighten us who the top six flash players are?

1. Jim 59

Encrypt post dedupe. Good idea in principle, Tricky to engineer as the dedupe engine needs to decrypt all potential data blocks before deciding if they are part of the deduped file. Hard to engineer without prejudicing the encryption.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Dedupe-dedupe, dedupe-dedupe-dedupe: Flashy clients crowd around Permabit diamond

Do my spider senses detect a Pink Panther reference?

This topic is closed for new posts.