back to article TPG flashes cheeky 'down under' CAPTCHA

Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart, aka those CAPTCHA things you see on websites, raised hackles the other month for being less-than-useful for the disabled. An Australian Reg reader has since found one with the potential to get the won't-somebody-please-think-of-the-children? crowd …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LaeMing
    Happy

Pants?

If pants are all that is keeping your rectum from view, you had better see a good proctologist!

My favorite CAPTCHA so far in life was a two-parter from Google: "Aware Sachets"

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Pants?

I got one on a wiki that described the article I had just edited. If only I could remember what it was.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Reg Reader -meeeehhhhh

Can some please explain, in a rational manner, how someone might feel offended or upset by seeing a word that does nothing more than describe a part of the body. Is it because the "children" might actually ask the adult what they mean and that the adult doesn't feel mature enough to respond correctly to the child...

Are there some people on this planet that do not possess rectums, penis, vaginas, breasts, testicles etc...

(There I hust have really offended someone now after using all of those Biological Terms) .....

[What is the plural of Penis ?]

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

More penises?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: [What is the plural of Penis ?]

I always thought the collective term for a bunch of dicks was "parliament".

1. Potemkine Silver badge

Re: [What is the plural of Penis ?]

I always thought the collective term for a bunch of dicks was "parliament".

You mean "voters"?

We've got the Parliament we deserve, we choose it after all

1. Christopher Blackmore

We've got the Parliament we deserve, we choose it after all

At no point did I put an X in a box that said blue and yellow Tories ganging up to destroy the country.

2. Euripides Pants

Re: parliament

It's pronounced "congress" on the left side of the Atlantic...

2. thosrtanner

Re: Reg Reader -meeeehhhhh

> Are there some people on this planet that do not possess rectums, penis, vaginas, breasts, testicles etc...

I think you'll find about most of the people on the planet are missing one or more of that list.

3. Lamont Cranston

I assumed that this article was more in the vein of "hee hee, it says BUM!", rather than "grr, that's an offensive word - OUTRAGE!".

That said, there are doubtless plenty of uptight numpties who would be thrown into fits of apoplexy by the sight of the word "rectum".

4. sisk
      Trollface

Well I know the plural of the head of a penis is 'politicians', though I've also seen 'patent lawyers' used.

5. Gavin King
      Happy

Re: Plural of "Penis"

To drag the thread away from casting aspersions on the names of our hard-working and honest representatives --- and I almost wrote that with a straight face --- the plural of "penis" is "penes" (pronounced "/ˈpiːniːz/" in British English), according to Mr. Oxford English Dictionary.

Made me feel like a wee child again, sneaking a look at the dirty words in the dictionary.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

People who do not possess a rectum.

Me, for one. It had cancer. It's gone.

See here, http://www.doctor-dark.webspace.virginmedia.com/LivingWithoutARectum.html for advice on managing without it.

The plural of penis ought to be penes, but they don't seem to bother with proper Latin endings any more.

3. frank ly

Get your eyes tested

It says 'techim'.

4. Private Citizen.AU

The 'N' word

I was commenting on an Australian news site discussing a story about rascim and I got a CAPTCHA which had the word 'N*gger'. I have the screen shot at home somewhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The 'N' word

Probably the result of an ongoing 'project' that's been knocking around 4chan for the past few years.

Something that is not widely publicised is that, of the two words presented by reCaptcha, only the 'twisted' word is known to reCaptcha while the normal, often merely fuzzy, one is scanned from a book that Google's OCR has been unable to decipher and is unknown. reCaptcha uses people solving these words to decipher them and insert them into the corresponding ebook.

As a result, if you get the 'twisted' word right you can substitute anything you like for the 'non-twisted' word and reCaptcha will happily validate your input. I've independently verified this myself, it does work. Type the twisted word correctly, and anything at all for the other, and it'll pass you.

Enter 4chan and their evil genius. For the last few years, they've been instructing their ocean of piss to type the word 'nigger' for the unknown word in captchas every time they have to solve one. The intent is that Google's software would unwittingly place this word into their ebooks, which would offend people, get Google into trouble and a lot of bad press, and cost them a lot of money. However, it's possible Google have cottoned to this and are filtering it from their responses; but this hasn't deterred 4channers from doing it and encouraging the practice amongst others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The 'N' word

Probably the result of an ongoing 'project' that's been knocking around 4chan for the past few years.

What you describe has nothing to do with the CAPTCHAs that are displayed. The results of reCAPTHCA go towards OCR for ebooks (which you seem to be aware of), and not towards making new CAPTCHAs. So this 4chan project won't mean the person you reply to will see the N word in a CAPTCHA.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You´re taking the piss, right?

Rectum is a perfectly innocent word, as is scrotum and as for all this, I call it a pile of bunkum.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I wasn't offended

What offended me was that I couldn't get it to pump out "Sphincter".

Thumbs Up - Although I think a prostate exam doesn't involve the thumb - usually.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Well I wasn't offended

Seconded. This is not offensive. If you want offensive - try to book a ticket with Ryanair.

You have to recite (with vigour and delight) back an advertisement. Just to make sure that you have provided them with the ad euros for "Prepaid American Express Cards" or "Duracell Batteries" in addition to the money you have paid for being abused while transported in a sardine can.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Special words"...

Got a captcha script on my site which comes up with rather "special words" once in a while. But that's no problem, it's only used by spammers anyway.

8. Ketlan
    Happy

N*gger?

'I was commenting on an Australian news site discussing a story about rascim and I got a CAPTCHA which had the word 'N*gger'. I have the screen shot at home somewhere.'

Is that Randy Marsh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: N*gger?

My thoughts exactly...

There is nothing racist about the word for an annoying person.

1. Gavin King

Or for that matter a large flat bottomed moat used (usually) to carry cargo on the Nile.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
          Headmaster

Assuming your Nile "moat" is a boat, it is called a nugger: http://www.absp.org.uk/words/boats.shtml

9. psychonaut

Uh...im not sure we needed clarification on "nutrify"

10. rcorrect
    Mushroom

RE: Who put their ass on the line by putting a rectum in the script?

Someone with a sense of humor who isn't a crybaby?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: RE: Who put their ass on the line by putting a rectum in the script?

The culprit will be identified by a probe

11. Graham Marsden
    Devil

This reminds me...

... of many years ago when a local computer shop had a Hangman demo program written in Basic.

It was dead easy to go in, edit the word list to include certain *other* words that appealed to my schoolboy sense of humour at the time, and then wander off to the other side of the shop whilst keeping an eye on the next person to give the game a go...

12. WraithCadmus
    Devil

He returns

Soon my brothers!

All hail Inglip!

13. Don Jefe
    Happy

Not Desirable

Maybe this is an unpublicized, stealth trial, of an advanced CAPTCHA system that in addition to determining your species, determines your desirability as a visitor to the site.

"If you're offended by such a word we didn't want you anyway".

1. wowfood

Re: Not Desirable

Or on some other sites, "if you aren't offended by this word, you're clearly not easily offended enough to appreciate our content"

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Rectum? I nearly killed 'em!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TITTY

That's what the script gave me first go. Worht two in the bush mate.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumBolloxRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectumRectum.

There, the word's lost all meaning.

1. Lamont Cranston
      Coat

Mushroom,

mushroom!

17. Kubla Cant

Anus

The other week on University Challenge there was an anagram question to which the answer was "anus and sauna". There was a perceptible pause while the student who answered it calculated whether he was really supposed to say "anus" on national TV.

18. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Facepalm

Oh right

So to attack this site you can just use a bog standard disctionary attack with bots, apply basic ocr and insert the nearest match.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

will a child know the meaning of rectum? they'll just think it's a made up word.

i'd understand the complaint if bum, tit or fanny was there. kids have heard of those.

20. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

"It damn near killed him"

Famous Australian joke (or not necessarily Australian)

21. NormansLament

I got....................

manroot

22. NormansLament
    Happy

Another.

vicelike

23. Gob Smacked
    Thumb Up

VILLAGE

Nothing special. Last I took a wrong corner and ended up there... It's a village nearby I didn't know of:

https://www.google.nl/maps/preview?authuser=0#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d11798!2d6.5691904!3d52.3282564!2m1!1e3&fid=7

1. magickmark
      Holmes

Re: VILLAGE

Must be the Arse (ass for our US cousins) end of nowhere!

Sherlock? Alimentary My dear Watson!

24. Potemkine Silver badge

Sex vs Violence

I'm always surprised to see how people from English culture (UK, US, ANZAR...) are shocked by everything connected with the human body (or worse with sex) when they are so tolerant about everything related to violence, wounds and death. Picture of a naked breast is shocking, picture of a gased child in Syria is not.

1. Gavin King

Re: Sex vs Violence

While I broadly agree with you ( except I think us New Zealand types are a bit more reasonable than others), I am genuinely interested in what you mean by ANZAR; presumably it relates to Australia and New Zealand, but what do the letters "AR" stand for? I've never heard of it, and (an admittedly quick) seach only shows up an Arabic boy's name.

25. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    Pint

My favorite CAPTCHA was when asked to verify on Facebook that I knew a lady it threw up the name of our local bar & a less than flattering term.......leading to Crawford Minger.

26. Andi Blonde

I got 'jihad' once.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Cartman"

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rectum? - Damn near killedum!

29. Mother Hubbard
    Joke

Fast Forward

It's good to see Michael Veitch's arse still getting airplay in Australia. I was concerned that he'd forgotten his roots at Sunday Arts.

This topic is closed for new posts.