back to article It's official: The iPhone 5S bling-mobe IS chavvy. OR, Burberry isn't

One was once famous for the beige-checked baseball caps worn by footie louts across Britain. The other is a fading luxury brand beloved by the Waitrose class. Today, Burberry and Apple have forged an alliance of sorts: the new iPhone 5S will be used to snap and upload to the web pics at the British clothing label's fashion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never looked at the Burberry site before.

£250 for a cotton polo shirt?

Seems Apple and Burberry do have something in common... people willing to pay way over the odds for something that really isn't any better than the competition, just because of the badge stuck on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably outfit yourself for the working week at Marks and Sparks for £250.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

£250

Probably outfit yourself for the working _year_ at Marks and Sparks for £250.

Probably outfit yourself for the working week at Primark for £25

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: £250

sally-army shop, fiver, clothes for week AND change to spare. tidy, eh?

1. david 63

Re: £250

Went for an interview once and feedback said the office manager took exception to my M&S suit. I didn't get the job but took great pleasure telling yes, it was an M&S suit...but I got it at Oxfam. I don't suppose I will ever work at Toshiba now. Good.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Simplicity is the key

Overdoing something, make up, clothes, jewellery, hair etc ends up looking chavvy.

The 'gold' iPhone is over done and is a definite Chav accessory.

It will be interesting to see that when the phone is released here what the waiting times will be. That will give an indication of popularity.

2. Irongut

Crap clothes + crap cameras = crap photos

Interesting that they would rather have amateurs with a crappy phone camera snap their new range rather than a professional with a DSLR.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Crap clothes + crap cameras = crap photos

They don't want to lose the Chavness

2. Amorous Cowherder
      Facepalm

Re: Crap clothes + crap cameras = crap photos

I've no real axe to grind with the Instagram mob, it's good bit of fun but that's all it will ever be. However too many marketing droids seem to think that square format, blurred, low res pics off a mobe equals hip, youthful and trendy avant-grade photography, not what it really is which is cheap, piss-poor and "live to regret that you have no decent pictures in 10 years time" 'cos you used the lowest piss-poor kit to get them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just love

El Reg's way of de-spinning corporate press releases........

Perfect for a Friday afternoon chuckle.

Biting The Hand That Feeds Corporate PR types.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Burberry PR meeting....

Bod 1: How do we get publicity for our new range of overpriced crap clothes?

Bod 2: Give our staff cameras, get them to take the pics, announce that to the press, that'll get attention, it's on the edge!

Bod 1: Hmm... Canon or Nikon?

Bod 2: Err

Bod 3: Give them iPhones, the pictures will be crap, but, think of the publicity

Bod 1: Brilliant

Bod 2: Where will be publish the photos?

Bod 1: Publish them? Are you mad, they'll look shit. Camera phone photos taken by our own staff? We'll bin the lot.

Bod 4: That's super! Chocomochalattefrappoccino everyone?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I live in Hong Kong. People will come over border and pay LUDICROUS money for anything from a shop that postfixes it's name with 'of London'

We can cash in on that for at least another 5-10 years.

Milk it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...menswear retailer, Burtons (I don't know if they still exist in UK) has the postfix "of London" in France... still cheap

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hong Kong

Yep. I spent almost a week in the Harbour City shopping mall looking for a simple 1lb box of 4-inch galvanized nails. Hopeless. Absolutely hopeless.

I figured that if there was a massive earthquake in Hong Kong, and thousands of people were trapped inside Harbour City, of course they'd all starve to death - but when the recovery teams finally reached the poor victims, they'd find that the bodies were all fabulously dressed in looted designer fashions.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS, on the MTR here...everyone has Samsungs. Apple is DONE here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hong Kong MTR

We went looking for the subway. We found a street sign that said "Subway" and pointed at some stairs heading underground. We went down, followed the tunnel, and popped up on the other side of Nathan.

LOL.

In Hong Kong "Subway" means an underground crosswalk.

The underground railway (subway) is the "MTR".

1. david 63

Re: Hong Kong MTR

In England

Subway - underground walkway for crossing the road

Underground - trains but only in London

Metro - Local underground/overground in other cities

And lest we forget, until 1999 HK _was_ England ;)

1. asiaseen

Re: Hong Kong MTR

err...1997. It was Macau that was Portuguese until 1999

7. Borg.King

Burberry had a Spring 2013 show last year . . .

in 2012 - that's very forward thinking of them.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Burberry had a Spring 2013 show last year . . .

That's how the fashion business works. In Summer you show your Autumn/Winter; In Winter you show your Spring/Summer for the next year.

This allows the company time to take orders, make the clothes and deliver them in time for the weather in which they were intended to be worn. For couture, this long lead is still needed, even if most of the fashion "brands" now use mass-production for most of their output...

I always thought Burberry was a good example of the danger facing Apple. An aspiration product that was ultimately damaged by its own success causing brand fatigue in their customers. I remember (around 2001-2002) when the world could not get enough of Burberry check. The same could be said of that Apple logo a couple of years ago. Then, as more and more "undesirable" (i.e., poor) people were seen wearing Burberry, it became something not be seen in at all in "polite" (i.e. rich) company. The "free iPhone" contracts are putting Apple's branding on that same trajectory in Europe at least, so they're well met.

Under Jobs, Apple was in effect a fashion house (I don't mean this disparagingly) - a large organisation that made and marketed the designs of one creative director (Jobs in this case). Now that he's dead, the company is struggling to recapture what it was that people loved about Jobs's work, just as fashion houses struggle when they lose their defining designers. Some find someone new and flourish (Chanel, Dior); others lose their way completely and wither (does anyone remember Callot?).

Interestingly, after Burberry ditched the visible check, they went back to concentrating on tailoring and quality, and have rebuilt a lot of the brand value that they lost, but it has taken years to undo the damage.

1. andreas koch
        Facepalm

@ Kristian Walsh - Re: Burberry had a Spring 2013 show last year . . .

Ah. You didn't get it. Borg.King was taking the mickey out of Jasper Hamill's typo in the article. Of course the 2013 spring/ summer catwalk took place in 2012.

The line should read "Burberry staff have been given the latest iThings to photograph the label's spring-summer 2014 catwalk on Monday."

Do send a correction, woudcha?

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: @ Kristian Walsh - Burberry had a Spring 2013 show last year . . .

Oh okay. I just assumed it was last year's S/S show he was at.

8. xyz Silver badge

I'm surprised no one has thought of...

...iPhones with Burberry plaid covers...Chav On!

1. asiaseen

Re: I'm surprised no one has thought of...

You can, a mere $17.99 at Amazon

9. Mr_Bungle
    WTF?

Pass the sick bag again

“This collaboration celebrates our relationship and shared foundation in design and craftsmanship. We have a mutual passion for creating beautiful products and unlocking emotive experiences through technology, which has made it intensely exciting to explore the capabilities of iPhone 5s,” gushed Christopher Bailey, Burberry chief creative officer.

I'm not a religious man. However, I'll be asking god to drop a piano out of the sky directly on this pompous cretins head.

From his statement you would have thought Burberry and Apple were responsible for the Taj Mahal and the Pyramids, instead of some overpriced rags and a naff gadget.

10. Darryl

Well, it does make sense... Phones that are basically just fashion statements being used at a fashion show

1. andreas koch
      Thumb Up

@ Darryl -

I totally agree. But it doesn't seem to be the opinion of the masses: whenever I've posted that iPhones are fashion items (or Veblen goods), I get dozens of downvotes.

Of course, that might just be because I'm a snide, sarky twat of a kraut.

1. andreas koch
        Unhappy

. . . and my grammar is rubbish.

Apologies.

1. andreas koch
          Trollface

@ mysterious, following downvoter:

If you sign up for another account, you can drop twice as many downvotes, did you know? Also, it's much easier to go to the "posts by [handle]" page, and just work your way down there, otherwise you might miss an opportunity . . .

Efficiency, dear fellow, efficiency!

(posted your face without asking for permission first, is that OK?)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @ mysterious, following downvoter:

> Efficiency, dear fellow, efficiency!

You *had* to be German. :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: . . . and my grammar is rubbish.

Grammar is OK, but please You should remember to capitalise all Nouns and the Verbs always at the end put.

11. Adam JC

Coincidence?

Burberry make £1000 Mac's? Perhaps Apple are worried about them encroaching on their territory and so are attempting to get all pally-pally with them before springing their trap! :o)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£895 for a trench coat?

My dad said he paid something like £50 for his Burberry trench coat back in 1973. One inflation calculator says that'd be about £270 today.

Maybe not £50, but he said it was very reasonable.

13. JeffyPoooh

Apple misses the mark...

The 5C goes against all that is Asian.

Marketing FAILS:

1) "C" as in 'CHEAP' - a branding that might work in Scotland

2) Everyone knows it's cheaper than the 5S (S = 'SOCIAL')

3) They're brightly coloured to highlight your life's failures

4) All iPhones are too small

The general aspiration is a huge gaudy smartphone that is obviously expensive. Not one that is small, and obviously branded as the "I'm a failure" cheaper version.

On my last visit to Hong Kong, I saw hundreds of expensive supercars, including Porsche 911 models. But I don't recall seeing any Porsche ("I can't afford a 911") Boxsters. This verified Clarkson's theory.

1. andreas koch
      Thumb Up

@ JeffyPoooh - Re: Apple misses the mark...

I'd upvote that twice if I could.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple misses the mark...

Upvoted for point #1. :)

14. DEAD4EVER

don't care

guess what theres a bunch of people sleeping outside a apple store 8 days before its launch talk about a bunch of sad twats jesse. i'll never touch anything apple give me a samsung anyday

15. Great Bu

To paraphrase the darling of ElReg, Stephen Fry.......

Waitrose does serve a very useful function in life, it keeps the proletariat out of Fortnum & Mason.....

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: To paraphrase the darling of ElReg, Stephen Fry.......

I thought that was Alan Coren?

16. Rukario

Catherine Tate-like ASBO kids

Wrong link. You want this one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like