back to article Microsoft announces iPad amnesty for fanbois

Sick of your iPad and want to swap it for something that's far less desirable? Microsoft wants to help you out. Redmond has launched a scheme offering a $200 gift card in exchange for a "gently used" iPad 2, 3 or 4. You'll need to give them your charger cable as well and make sure your fondleslab is wiped clean - both on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Big_Ted
    Facepalm

Hey Apple fanbois......trade in your iPad for less than you can get on ebay and buy an undesirable soon to be replaced Surface tablet instead.......

Boy are MS really that stupid or do they think iPad buyers are ?

1. tony72

LOL

Apple should launch a counter-scheme, and offer $50 for your Surface RT, deadpan.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: LOL

"Apple should launch a counter-scheme, and offer $50 for your Surface RT, deadpan."

Or, if Apple's feeling really snarky, 50 cents! (And publicise how many people took the offer.)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Probably $49 more than a Surface RT is worth.

3. Mark Simon

Even if all Surface RT users take up the offer, that won’t cost Apple much …

4. Mephistro
        Devil

Re: LOL (@ tony72)

"Apple should launch a counter-scheme, and offer $50 for your Surface RT, deadpan."

Or better yet, offer Surface owners to pay $50 for accepting their surface slab. That would be almost as incredibly stupid as Microsoft's 'offer' (for lack of a better name).

2. Bob Vistakin
      Happy

In fact the Microsoft two-for-1 promo video is now on YouTube.

3. Ian 55

How stupid are iPad buyers?

Well, they bought an iPad...

.. but they're surely not stupid enough to buy a Surface.

4. LarsG

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Got to be April 1st..... No?

Seriously, Apple will make a similar offer I'm sure an offer a £1 trade in for every Surface, and that's DOUBLE what you'd get on eBay.

2. Nate Amsden

only going to cause more embarrassment ?

When they see how few people take them up on this offer?

Would of been better to have just a straight up trade in - give us your gently used ipad and get a new, I mean ~year old surface tablet.

It's not as if they don't have the money to burn..and not as if they haven't burned what was it nearly a billion $ on surface already? Clear some inventory, build some market/mind share..assuming it doesn't cause anti trust issues.. but if it is a short length program the government won't have time to do anything about it until it's long over.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: only going to cause more embarrassment ?

Yeah, a straight trade-in would actually make some sort of sense for RT tablets, and a big (like $500) voucher towards a Pro version.

1. Mikel

A voucher can be charged against marketing costs for all products and disappear in that ocean. A straight trade must increase the $1B inventory writedown that people are already freaking out about.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

@Nate

"When they see how few people take them up on this offer?"

That is not true, and you know it ;)

According to Microsoft hundred thousands of people have already responded. The main problem is simply that the resellers don't inform the public as it should so many customers don't understand this promotional activity, and sometimes chose not to use the promotion but buy a new Surface instead.

It's the resellers fault :)

3. jonathanb Silver badge

That would obviously be a slightly better offer, but I still won't trade in my iPad 2 for a Surface. If they took it off me for £559 cash + a Surface, then I would consider it, because the £559 would enable me to buy the equivalent iPad 4.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What will Microsoft do with them?

Finally succeed in their long-time aspiration to become an Apple reseller?

1. Kevin 6
      Thumb Up

Re: What will Microsoft do with them?

Hey they have to make some money on the pieces of crap somehow. Soon see an ebay user named Microsoftresale selling Ipad 2's

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Finally succeed in their long-time aspiration to become an Apple reseller?

Well they're already making a ton of money from 'droids. Might as well cash in on Apple kit as well.

Do they not find it embarrassing making so much money from other people's kit while doing so appallingly with their own offerings?

3. Schultz
      Trollface

They will offer them to their employees -- to enhance productivity and employee satisfaction.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They're gathering a big pile of used iPads to light for the bonfire at Ballmer's leaving do.

...it'll be an incomprehensibly vast pile of untouched Surfaces(tm) at Elop's welcoming do.

4. Graphsboy

Idiots

If that voucher has to go towards the cost of a new Surface then I wouldn't even trade it for the box my iPad came in.

5. DJV Silver badge

Microsoft should take their comedy show to the fringe! Gave me a few laughs anyway!

6. btrower

What the...

Where do I *NOT* sign up for this?

7. JDX Gold badge

New business idea

MS are clearly getting into the used hardware market - they see a market to buy your iPad for $200 and sell it at $300-600.

Each refurbished iPad will make up for a few missed sales on Windows 8.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Wibble
    WTF?

Need your head read!

How much are these worth on the eBay tat bazaar? Even iPad1's go for more than $200.

Quite frankly anyone who avails of this offer deserves it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now if you could upgrade the surface to android... perhaps ....!

1. AnimeMaster

Actually it's quite easy to put android on an RT or PRO. There exists a wonderful little program called blue stacks that is a and sleek android implementation runs inside either version of windows or OSX.

The pro version is an excellent alternative to a Wacom Cintiq display which offers less functionality at a higher cost.

Microsofts biggest mistake was disabling the x86 emulator on RT which was present in alpha releases. They sighted performance and battery life as primary reasons but in reality they just wanted to pressure developers into make metro apps. Third party emulators that pass system calls are available and they run a decent amount of software but the implementation is not complete. Not having access to the full suit of dll's make things difficult. Integration with wine would be interesting.

My brother has the surface pro and I'm getting one as soon as the one with 8 gigs of ram is released.

10. Dave 126 Silver badge

>"Microsoft will be hoping that customers use the dosh to buy a new Surface RT or Pro tablet, perhaps failing to notice the poor reviews it has clocked up."

Links to those reviews please! I knew the RT had clocked up poor reviews, but many reviews of the Surface Pro are middling to positive.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

was this turkey

ballmer's idea?

we'll miss him.

Hope he goes onto comedy after microsoft, he's got potential

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iDiots!, iDiots!, iDiots!

In marketing, in R&D, in positions of authority....

Can Microsoft get any more desperate? They are practically giving these things away. I'd be p*ssed off if I was manufacturing a rival hybrid device (although I wouldn't pick such horrible neon colours) No wonder Dell and HP have dipped their toes in the Android water.

Microsoft have the bottomless pit of money, but they don't have the energy to fight Google and Apple and they are going wrong somewhere with the employees because there must be clever people in there who can come up with better than the Metro UI and the surface hardware, but they don't seem to be listening to them or growing their ideas. What was that slate type thing that they had which looked like a book? I'm sure it had dual screens that looked fantastic, but canned for breaking Windows file and rank....

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

True enterprise marketing

Hi gang,

Sorry, I know it's getting a bit old (I've used this more often) but I can't help it ;)

• Buy second hand iPads from Apple users.
    • ???
    • Profit!

True geniuses at work here. I wonder if Microsoft has ever considered to go into the laundry business :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: True enterprise marketing

I think I can see how the Microsoft Corporation Inc. is planning to work this!...

1) Accept second hand iPads from Apple users in exchange for written off old stock.

2) Save money on desert plots, digger hire & readymix, list second hand iPads on eBay.

3) Profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!one!!one!!!!one!1!!!one!!!!!!!!...

14. disgruntled yank

fencing

This could be good for thieves--do they ordinarily get $200 for stolen iPads?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: fencing

It is only of use to thieves if they can sell surfaces on eBay with a discount of less than $200 off the price when new.

15. tempemeaty
    Facepalm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I laughed so hard it hurt while reading this.

I'm in awe of all the comedy from Redmond lately.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

has anyone actually USED a Surface?

The trade-in IS stupid, but I for one, use my Surface far more than my iPad (passed on to the kids).

Seems a lot of people slagging off Surface have never actually used one.

Actually the reviews were quite positive too.

Surface is so crap that I can plug in USB devices and they just WORK. Remember that, a USB port that you could plug in a memory stick? Or a hard drive. Or a printer. iPad is for kids, grannies or people with no tech savvy.

1. Herby

Re: has anyone actually USED a Surface?

"iPad is for kids, grannies or people with no tech savvy."

It seems that you don't understand marketing. This is the target audience, and it is QUITE LARGE.

Most people don't need people dancing on tables, or magnetic keyboards. They want something that does the simple tasks that an iPad does quite well.

Play solitaire?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"that I can plug in USB devices and they just WORK"

Just like any normal device then

1. RealFred

except for ipads and apple gear

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>"that I can plug in USB devices and they just WORK"

>Just like any normal device then

Not really. You can only run applications on it if M$ has granted you permission and you can NEVER install a grown-up OS onto it. EVER.

More like an iPad with a USB port really. Funnily enough.

3. Tom 35

Yes I have a Surface. Got it for Christmas so I've named it MrHanky

Google it if you don't get it. Yes that's exactly what it is.

It's sitting on my desk at home. Nexus 7 is in my bag beside me.

17. Tony Paulazzo

The offer will only run until October 27, which presumably is when Surface 2 is slated to hit the streets

Ah... Was almost tempted there for a pico second... alternatively, sell my ipad3 with 32GB for approx £300 on ebay then buy a Surface Pro 2 on release...

British people are not being offered the gift card

Oh, well - Fuck you too Microsoft! I won't bother, I'm obviously not the market you are after.

I'll just keep the ipad and feel safer doing online banking.

18. 0_Flybert_0
    Coat

"This equates to 200,000 units in a global market where more than 40 million tablets were flogged."

not bad for a start up with a unique OS and look about it .. did they spend much in the way of development on this ? .. marketing money ? .. haven't seen any out in the wild yet ..

I'll be on my way now

1. Tom 35

marketing

With the TV ads like this one http://youtu.be/des3dpKtfIM you would think they would fly off the shelf.

And the pro gets the same ad but set in the boardroom so you know it's for important people... http://youtu.be/l2KPQNP1Z1s

2. 0_Flybert_0

<sigh>

didn't realize <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags were necessary</sigh>

19. Fihart

New lamps for old ?

If I correctly misremember the Arabian Nights tale, the exchange wasn't such a good deal. In fact the genie's out of the bottle -- the Surface is a Turkey.

20. earplugs

I wouldn't buy a Surface if you paid me

If you paid me $250 I might.

21. Garibaldi
    FAIL

Really?

I can give "Micro"soft my $600 tablet so can can give gift card for vista 2.0 tablet?

22. unitron
    Coat

Gently used?

Does that mean the Zimmerman's are out of luck?

Mine's the one with neither an IPad nor a Surface in the pocket.

23. N2

British people are not being offered the gift card

Perhaps Microsoft considers only Americans would be stupid enough to accept ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: British people are not being offered the gift card

Might be worth trying in Ireland too?

In Яussia youᴙ iPad exchanges you.

24. Moeluk

Protip for MS...if you are going to have a iPad vs Surface comparison page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/compare#T1=microsoft-surface-rt

It's probably not a good idea for the first half of the page to show every way in which the iPad kicks the surfaces arse..

This offer has made me lol!

25. Vociferous

Brilliant move.

First Microsoft P'd off all slab manufacturers by cutting them out of the loop and making their own slabs.

Then they criticized the slab manufacturers for not making enough slabs for christmas (even though the manufacturers couldn't shift the ones they made).

Then they couldn't shift their own slabs either, so they took a $2B loss and started trying to almost GIVE the slabs away - thereby killing the market for the few other slab-makers still making Windows RT slabs.

The brilliance of Microsofts marketing strategy is dazzling. I have never seen a company with such gritty hell-bent determination in shooting itself repeatedly in the foot. And when it's emptied the mag, it calmly reloads and keeps firing.

26. Hans 1
    Childcatcher

Reading between the lines

Microsoft slab sales team are poor bastards, since they are underperforming, so they cannot afford an iPad ... Please hand in yours, we beg you, please .... think of their children!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like