back to article Everybody Loves Rayman: Legends dethrones Mario

Heading this week’s games was meant to be Total War: Rome II, but a PC malfunction means I’m having to postpone marching off up the Appian Way until next time. No matter, however, as a feast of games still awaits – including the year’s best platformer... Rayman Legends Wii U owners are a hardy bunch, capable of taking abuse …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. auburnman

Rayman delay on Wii U

It's a sad indictment of Nintendo's stature nowadays that a big publisher will actually go out of their way NOT to give them a console exclusive.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Rayman delay on Wii U

That was a very silly thing to do, it was ready months ago.

It would have sold more realeasing it then.

2. MJI Silver badge

My new purchase this week

Is Killzone Mercenary..

A decent FPS for the Vita at last

3. Tom 13

Re: ...a trick that actually owes much to God of War.

Guess you never played Robotron back in the day.

1. Gary Riches

Re: ...a trick that actually owes much to God of War.

Funny, there was me thinking that Robotron used the left stick to move and the right stick to aim...

The article, which you should read, says "the left stick is used for movement and aiming, and the right for evasive manoeuvres."

4. John Sanders

Diablo3...

Am I the only one to think that Diablo 3 in the console looks a lot like Torchlight II?

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Diablo3...

It PLAYS like Torchlight, but it LOOKS (to me, at least) exactly like it did on the PC.

I played all three Diablos on PC. I tried the Xbox port as the currently available demo. It's OK, but I really prefer a PC for that type of game. The control structure for the console version of D3 is surprisingly good, given the limitations of the controller vs. a full keyboard and multi-button mouse - but the reviewer is quite correct that precision ranged attacks in this game are difficult on console compared to PC version.

5. Pypes

I was hyped for rayman in the spring, having brought a Wii U and then suffered terrible buyers remorse when I realized there were exactly 0 games worth owning on the platform. When launch day came along I ended up getting the PS3 version because fuck the Wii U tablet.

Having played the demo to death on the Wii, Id say the only thing that hasnt translated well are the "smash the fuck out the scenery" levels, on the Wii U you control the little frog thing with the tablet with AI taking over the running and jumping. On the PS3 you have to selectively mash O at an opportune moment, with the target snapping between objects almost at random. This boils down to needing to watch 2 things at once (what your character is doing and what the frog is hovering near) whilst pressing at least 3 buttons on the controller at the appropriate moments. It's not terribly difficult, but it does break up the action in a game that is designed to be played at sonic the hedgehog like speeds.

Apart from that it's probably my favorite game this gen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like