back to article Intel touts 2-in-1s, the 'new' reincarnation of convertibles

To hear Intel tell it, the Next Big Thing™ in mobile computing will be the "2-in-1" (née "convertible"), which combines a traditional clamshell laptop form factor with a tablet that detaches from the keyboard, or flips, twists, or slides over it. "The innovators at Intel and our partners have come up with the 2-in-1 – it's the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. anatak

Laptop mode : real work, developing

Tablet mode: showing things to customers

2. Mikel

2 in 1

Best at none.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2 in 1

Suppose for instance the guts of an MBA 11 are placed into the screen section and a detachable keyboard section contains extra battery, extra functions, and the two sum to the same weight as at present. What is lost from the 2 in 1 version compared to the current version? Zero. Suppose the screen is touch enabled so it can also operate as a tablet. You then have a flexible multifunction device with no loss of original function. If it runs OS X and iOS why would you need a full size iPad?

Some people take the view that the MBA is the best small clamshell and iPad the best larger tablet. In which case if they could be combined as a 2 in 1 those people would regard the combination as better than either.

Why do you feel differently about the 2 in 1 concept? Substitute Chrome OS/Android, Win8 or a Linux distro you favour if you prefer.

1. xj25vm

"Suppose for instance the guts of an MBA 11 are placed into the screen section and a detachable keyboard section contains extra battery, extra functions, and the two sum to the same weight as at present. What is lost from the 2 in 1 version compared to the current version? Zero."

I'll tell you exactly what is lost: strength, robustness. Heck - even hinges on normal laptops sometimes give up. Those attach-me-dettach-me latches will give out just past the one year warranty. No thanks - I like my portable machines to be able to cope with being "ported" about.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Best at none.

Really? I really can't see where the inherent flaw with something like the Lenovo Yoga (the laptop that can assume a 'tent' position or emulate a tablet, albeit a fat one) is. The hinges might add a few grams, but that's about it.

3. bep

Best at none

Actually, you're right. But most people don't need best, or else can't afford it, and settle for 'good enough', which is what my Transformer Pad is. I think Intel's problem here is that what they are trying to do is not possible in Windows; compact, light weight, long battery life, fully featured apps etc - at the moment, you have to choose a couple of those things. A lot of people are choosing to have Windows PC at home (and the office) and an Android or iPad device for everything else.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Windows

Innovative?

I still haven't seen anything as innovative as the Thinkpad butterfly keyboard from friggin' 1995, for ghod's sake...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Innovative?

u poor bugger ..

5. ChrisInAStrangeLand

I had a Toshiba Lifebook P1610 from 2006 for notetaking, it was an awesome 10" convertible with better build quality, processor, battery life and screen than any netbook trash on the market five years later.

If they could make one thinner and lighter, with a bay trail processor, I'd gladly pay Surface Pro money for it.

6. Semaj

Flimsy

For all the improvements, I just can't get past the impression that such convertibles would be really flimsy and prone to physical failure at the pivot points.

Does anyone have one? If so, are they more robust than they look?

7. Big_Ted
    Windows

Meh.....

What would be of more interest to me would be a tablet running android that when clipped to the keyboard switches to chrome OS.

Now that would be the best of both worlds.

8. Anonymous Coward 101

"This new straw will save us, won't it?"

PC sales are falling - laptops will save us!

Laptop sales are falling - ultrabooks will save us!

Utrabook sales have never existed - 2-in-1s will save us!...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great for what they are

First, they've been around much longer than your chronology. IBM was making the ThinkPad X41 in 2005 and I don't think it was the first.

Second, they can be great or awful depending on what you are expecting. Forgetting cost, they add an inking capability to a notebook. This is great for taking notes and annotating documents while retaining the ability to switch to a traditional laptop configuration. It can also be used as a tablet when filling forms in some vertical markets. However, they are heavy. This defeats their use in other vertical markets where you want something you can carry and use for extended periods. In these cases a Windows slate type tablet would do better. And, of course, they do tend to cost more than comparable laptops or slates.

For a student, they might be a good option allowing (for example) the use of the keyboard mode for notes in English and the tablet mode for notes in Math. For a consumer, a slate is probably a better choice to get the inking capability and lightness. You can always add a keyboard. For a business, it depends on the business. Some would be well served by them, others would be better served by a traditional laptop or by an even more specialized tablet (e.g. Motion Computing makes a disinfectable slate for the medical market).

10. rmsuydam

So ten years ago

To the month, I had my first 2-in-1 in Sept of 2003, a lovely Compaq TC1100.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-compaq-tablet-pc/4505-3121_7-30573412.html

11. Wallyb132
    WTF?

Asus Trio

Intel's 2-N-1 is hardly new, Asus has their Trio coming out in a month or 2 that runs Android in tablet mode then can switch to run Windows 8 when attached to the base... Intel just like recycling used ideas, they're getting as bad as Microsoft and their 5 year Apple idea recycling program, in which they recycle Apples ideas 5 years later....

12. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Aren't they trying to clear these out already?

Aren't they trying to clear these off the shelves RIGHT NOW? The "Windows RT" versions of course ran a crippled Windows that only runs a subset of apps specially rebuild for ARM, as opposed to running Android or Linux. But I thought they had churned out some x86 versions too -- which are also not selling.

A lot of people aren't interested in having a touch screen on what is otherwise a portable desktop computer. (I know I'm not!) The rest who are interested, when they find out what it costs compared to a computer without touchscreen, all of a sudden most of them lose interest too.

Intel, what are you thinking?!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like