back to article Smartwatch news: Sleek-but-vaporous timepiece promised by... NISSAN?

Watch out, Apple. Step aside, Samsung. Push off, Pebble. Here comes the latest contender in the smartwatch wrist-grab: er, Nissan. The car maker today pledged to be the first company to tie a smartwatch into a car’s telematics and entertainment systems. Nissan Nismo Watch Nissan’s Nismo Watch concept: Designed “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J P
    Coat

Hmm - this comes out on Monday morning... I think I know what they spent Friday afternoon doing after they got back from the pub.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Tie that thing directly into the ignition system...

And add some sensors to detect blood alcohol level, blood pressure and if your holding a mobile phone to your head...

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

To be fair

it does look as if it's some sort of Ministry of Justice tracking device...

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: To be fair

And my thought was that even an electronic tag looks prettier...

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: To be fair

It is a little tag/handcuff-esque, but I like the fact it looks a bit sci-fi.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
          Coffee/keyboard

Re:looks a bit sci-fi WAS:To be fair

I thought Blake's 7 teleport bracelet. just needs a big pink rubber oblong.

4. Ralph B

Is it a watch or a handcuff?

Choose your prison: A Samsung Gear watch for your Samsung Note phone. A Nissan watch for your Nissan car. Tomorrow maybe an iWatch for your iPhone walled-garden experience.

Whatever happened to open standards?

1. HMB

Re: Is it a watch or a handcuff?

I couldn't agree more, I was just thinking that it will look nice next to the smart watch I get with my future espresso maker that will allow me to tell when the coffee is ready when I'm in the kitchen, but looking at my wrist instead of the damn coffee machine.

5. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Mushroom

Road Safety

I am not in favour of banning watches while driving but it does seem a reasonable argument to say anything which encourages people to take their eyes off the road more than they otherwise would increases the danger to themselves and other road users.

It sounds like a pointless gimmick to me and, as Nissan would be well aware of the safety arguments, perhaps just a means to gain publicity pre-show.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Road Safety

I think when you're in the car, all the information the watch shows would be visible on the dashboard.

1. N2

& control of any devices made via buttons on the steering wheel, like we do now so seems a bit pointless to me!

2. monkeyfish

Or here's an idea, why not just put all the driving information you need right in front of you in the car itself! Some sort of board that lies directly below your normal field of vision, an information dash if you will? Can't wait for this sort of future tech to take off!!!!

6. poopypants

This is awesome!

When driving distractions cause you to inadvertently become the latest addition to an impromptu motorway sculpture, it can relay your pulse rate and strength to an approaching ambulance.

1. J P
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: This is awesome!

"impromptu motorway sculpture"

Well thank you so much; now I'm going to have to dig a spare keyboard out of the cupboard.

7. James 51

Title is too long.

"will allow drivers to monitor the efficiency of their vehicle with average speed and fuel consumption readings; access vehicle telematics and performance data while on track"

Is this not what the dashboard is for?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All I want

Is for Casio to bring back the AX 510. Now that was a smart watch indeed.

9. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

One more useless product...

...for people with more money than brains...talent...etc.

How about just DRIVING the f'ing car, and leaving the electronic toys at home? Hmmm?

1. DaneB
      Mushroom

Re: One more useless product...

True True!

Nissan: please make a car with as little elctronic shit in it and we'll all be happy with our nicely reliable, not breaking down motors. Sorry el reg faithful, cars are better without the tech IMHO.

10. anatak

I hope it is better programmed than my Nissan Z.

control lights who light up for no reason. An windscreen wiper interval that can not detect what state it is in when you turn the key of the ignition.

and disconnect the battery from time to time to remedy weird signals (I did not have to do that yet but that seems to be a good remedy for airbag warning lights that refuse to turn off)

1. DaneB
      Mushroom

Need I say more? See my comment just one above.

11. Argh

25mph?

25mph? That blurred background is eliciting the sensation of travelling at 25km/h according to the speedometer.

12. Lost in Cyberspace

Why does the tech...

Need to be on the wrist at all? Shouldn't it be in the car, and then on an app on the smartphone, to look at when you're not driving?

13. Intractable Potsherd

Synergy

A grotesquely ugly gadget to go with a grotesquely ugly car.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.