back to article iPad 5, Retina iPad mini with 'A7X' chip home for the holidays – report

Apple is readying its fifth-generation iPad for launch and is moving up the debut of its second-generation iPad mini – which will have a Retina display and will be powered by an upgraded processor – from next year to the fourth quarter of this year, if a new report by a longtime Apple-watcher is correct. "Since iPad mini 2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple FTW - Android handsets better watch out if there is a cheaper iPhone.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another year, another performance bump. It's getting as bad as Samsung.

All Apple needs now is a stupid digital watch.

1. JDX Gold badge

You'd prefer they didn't improve the specs?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tz....

An 'analyst' that uses Apple marketingspeech (anthropomorphized iPad without a 'the' in front of it) is epic fail by default. Next rumor, there hasn't been one in almost 10 minutes!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tz....

He's Chinese*. They don't have definite articles.

(*One assumes...)

4. Eddy Ito

I call Bullshit

The ramp of iPad 5 is simply, let's call it an order of magniturd, where in one quarter it goes from 25% of Q3 to more than the total of Q2 and Q3 combined while the mini2 will only account for a minor quarterly bump. I think someone has their rose coloured glass on wrong. Err, make that glasses.

5. eSeM

Doesn't Add Up

If Apple were to release an iPad Mini 2 before Christmas in very limited numbers they would have to reduce the price of the iPad Mini.

Cutting the margins on one of their products just before Christmas ..... unlikely.

(Though I do hope so as my daughter wants one)

6. JDX Gold badge

iPad Mini 2

I'm actually pretty interested in a better specced mini - for development work I have an iPad 2 and I don't really want to spend full whack on a 3/4. If the mini is basically a 3/4/5 in a smaller case for less money, this is perfect.

I seriously doubt iPad mini 2 will use the iPad5 chip though. Makes more sense to me the mini uses previous generation tech - iPad mini is an iPad 2, iPad mini2 should be an iPad 3 or 4 spec.

7. plrndl
    Linux

Yawn.

8. A Butler

Just buy the cheap iPad2 16GB....... all very dull new products

I think the iPad is a terrific product its just all so dull on the new products front. Why would anyone bother waiting (never mind queuing!) for just more dull Apple incremental upgrades that provide no additional functionality.

Remember Apple products are about look and feel; not the boring specs like processors, a few more pixels on the already perfectly adequate screen....YAWN

1. Steve Todd
      FAIL

Re: Just buy the cheap iPad2 16GB....... all very dull new products

Amazing, you know this before Apple have even announced the products and what their specs are. Do you predict lottery numbers also?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You missed his point. Basically most people care little for minor specs - the iPad 2 is still a fantastic tablet and does everything 95%+ of people would want / need. It's tech people who are obsessed with x.xGhz and numbers of cores.

1. Steve Todd

Again, you know for a fact that all these devices have is minor spec bumps before they've even been announced? What, for example, if they include the same fingerprint recognition hardware rumoured for the iPhone 5S also? How about making them much lighter and thinner? We don't yet know if they will include some feature or features that will make them an attractive upgrade to existing users.

3. A Butler

Here's hoping Apple amaze the world with a truly innovate product like the original iPhone and iPad.

Its been quite a while since Apple have pulled any new rabbits out of the hat, even the most ardent blinded Apple fan would have to admit its been more of the same on product announcements since Steve Jobs died (pipeline was obviously drying up before his death).

The iPad is a classic case in point; boring increments not making one wanting rid of the old one.

1. Steve Todd

First question: who else in the tech industry is doing more than just iterating (bigger and smaller versions are just iterations BTW).

Second question: how long do you think it was between major new products when SJ was in charge? (Hint: iPhone 1 -> iPad 1 was about 3 years)

Third question: have you actually tried an iPad 1 and iPad 4 side by side? The 4 is a much more usable product (which is what you'd expect any tech company worth their salt to have done). You don't need to convince the owners of the last version to upgrade, you need to convince (1) new users that this is a better product than the competition and (2) owners of iPad 3's and older that the upgrade is worthwhile. We won't know how well they've done here until they've actually released it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes sense

Better for Apple to have a few Mini 2s out there sooner (especially in the hands of reviewers) rather than later.

BTW, our iPad 2 is still going strong, and we never felt the need to upgrade to the 3, or the 4. Perhaps 5 will be the difference? As for the iPad Mini 2, I think the Mini I use for commuting and travel will also be more than good enough, for some time to come.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like