back to article Mail.ru says 'да' to half a BILLION dollars, flogs its 14m Facebook shares

Russian internet giant Mail.ru has gotten rid of the last of its Facebook shares, making over $525m. The company originally invested $200m in Facebook in 2009 and had a stake worth around $700m just before the social network went public last year. Mail.ru sold off some of its stock in the IPO and said it had let the remaining …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B

In Capitalist Russia

In capitalist Russia email company sends itself 419 scam mails that actually pay out.

2. cheveron

satisfied customer

I've been using mail.ru as my primary email account since 1999 and even after they ditched English language support I sill don't have a compelling reason to change provider. If you can navigate Cyrillic, it's a really great service.

1. DrXym

Re: satisfied customer

mail.ru is a prolific source of spam. Using their service probably means a lot of forums would silently drop your registration requests. Same goes for gmx.com and some others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> mail.ru is a prolific source of spam.

HAR! HAR!

> Using their service probably means a lot of forums would silently drop your registration requests

Such as?

> Same goes for gmx.com

HAR! HAR! HAR!

> and some others.

Such as?

Point is, both the ones you mentioned are great FREE email services. For the former, it has the advantage of not being US-based (the second as I recall is provided by a US branch of United Internet, a German ISP).

1. DrXym

"HAR! HAR!"

You're easily amused. I've had over 2000 bogus spam accounts from that domain alone on a forum I run. So I blocked it.

"Such as?"

Yandex.ru, List.ru, Ya.ru, Sina.com and others. I block them all thanks for their prolific amount of spam. I am quite certain that I am not alone amongst admins with a low opinion of these services.

But you can HAR HAR all you like if you use them. It won't alter the point I was making or my opinion of these services one little bit.

2. Eugene Crosser
      Black Helicopters

Depends on who you prefer to be watching you - NSA or FSB. For non-Russian citizens, it might be sensible to prefer FSB. But keep in mind that here you don't have even the token judicial oversight of the FISA court - they just take what they want without asking anybody.

3. Rukario
      Thumb Up

I switched over to mail.yandex.com for my main account when mail.ru dropped English support. Meanwhile Yandex is increasing its English language support and services. Still need to navigate Cyrillic for the calendar and adding domain-based email though. At least their servers are in Ekaterinburg and Luxembourg rather than with a direct pipe to Fort Meade. I still use mail.ru as my spam sink though.

4. joed

And now your emails are not read by NSA (as long as your contacts stay within mail.ru) though you may be marked as suspect for using the service. Never used it myself but know people that do (and could care less about spam and dubious quality toolbar that come with email/chat/who knows what client software).

I guess as the result of recent insecurity fallout mail.ru figured that former USSR/east block users prefer to be spied on only by Putin's (or service of their own country) people and not both Putin's and NSA's and this may make them think twice before using offshore services (like FB) and it's time to get rid off the stocks before price decline (also market seems to be inflated for no good reason). I won't cry for FB if their stock tanked.

3. Paul Johnston

Why?

"It didn't give any reason for closing out its Facebook stake."

Took a nice profit and saw it was time to get out whilst winning?

Or perhaps Arsenal need some more players!

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: Why?

Maybe they knew perfectly well that Facebook does not make enough to justify the valuations of it, and thought they would sell their shares while they are valued at a lot more than they are worth by any rational justification of facebooks income?

I mean, you sell while the bubble is blown up, but before it bursts. Sounds like a perfectly sensible move to me!

4. Turtle

Russia's Richest Man.

There are people who contend, plausibly, that Russia's richest man is actually Vladimir Putin. However, his wealth is hidden in a labyrinth of shell companies and the usual dodges that people use to hide their ownership of things, for the ownership of which they can not plausibly, and legally, account.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: Russia's Richest Man.

...and do you know, that was the last we ever heard from Turtle? Very strange.

GJC

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a legitimate message from mail.ru, and if I saw one that -looked- legit, I'd probably use the software equivalent of an isolation chamber and mechanical tongs to peer at it gingerly via a remote monitor, before taking it out to a firing range and blowing it up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like