back to article Apple throwing separate Chinese iPhone event

Chinese press have received an invitation to an Apple event, in Beijing, to take place just hours after the fruity phone factory does its usual thing in Cupertino. Local news outlet Sina brought the world the news , and the image below that apparently translates as a promise of a “dazzling” day for China. The event will take …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frank N. Stein

Maybe Apple won't announce the 5C on Tuesday at the Apple Campus event. Perhaps it will be launched at the Being event.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Significance of

The next Chinese Apple phone will be bright red........ With a waving cat home screen....

And only available in China.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

苹果的人认为他们是在开玩笑

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Either the 5C or China Mobile agreement. Or both.

I agree with those who have been saying that the 5C was never targeted at the US/UK but at places like China where a significant portion of the population makes less in a month than what an iPhone currently costs. I wouldn't be surprised if you can't even buy one from an Apple store in the US, you'd have to order it online and have it shipped from overseas.

1. Michael Thibault

Re: Either the 5C or China Mobile agreement. Or both.

>...and have it shipped from overseas.

at a small premium, no doubt. And no end in sight of potential scal^H^H^Hellers.

2. Michael Jennings

Re: Either the 5C or China Mobile agreement. Or both.

Given that the US uses different frequency bands to everywhere else, foreign variants aren't going to work very well in the US, particularly using 4G/LTE. (Chinese variants likely won't support LTE, as they don't have any LTE networks yet). For it to work properly in the US, Apple will have to release a US specific variant. (Asian/Middle Eastern variants should work OK in Europe, though). I think they probably will, but let's see.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

US/UK?

I've got news for you: the UK market differs, just ask Nokia. Please do not lump us all in as minor Yank clones.

Also, what makes you think UK is such a big market? In Europe there are several bigger populations, e.g. France, Germany, Italy and possibly more disposable cash. I believe Switzerland is one of the more iPhone/head markets though lower population.

Perhaps you should learn that UK is in Europe and that Europe as a whole is perhaps bigger than USA, and other parts of Europe are bigger and richer than UK.

Is there a little Englander or Colonel Blimp or American arse licker icon?

3. RAMChYLD

Full suite of services in China?

Figures. They won't even launch the full suite of services in South East Asia. Malaysian users still can't buy TV shows.

So China gets to join the ranks of Australia, New Zealand, South Korea and Japan while the rest of Asia is neglected :(

4. rcorrect

Marketshare

Apple is trying to play catch up in China like Microsoft is doing everywhere else.

5. Michael Jennings

Apple's strategy for the last few years has been that they release one new high-end phone, and the previous models then become their mid-market models. (Apple don't do low end phones). When they introduced the iPhone to Verizon, they produced a CDMA compatible version of their current high end phone (then the iPhone 4), but did nothing for the earlier models, so Verizon offered a high-end model only at first. This did clearly cost them business - once new models had been released and the iPhone 4 became cheaper, the total share of iPhones at Verizon went up considerable.

For China, Apple clearly can't do it this way. China is much poorer than America, and many people who want an iPhone will not be able to afford the new high end model. Therefore, if Apple have done a deal with China Mobile, they will have to make TD-SCDMA iPhones available at multiple price-points and not just the high end. They could do this by releasing new, TD-SCDMA compatible variants of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 as well as the new iPhone 5S, but they could also simply produce a new mid-market model of iPhone.

My theory is that this is the story behind the iPhone 5C. Apple's motivation for producing it is the need for a mid market TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile. It certainly won't be restricted to China Mobile, and we will see variants of it for other network standards as well. Although we have been hearing things like "The iPhone 5C is aimed principally at developing markets, but will also be sold in developed markets", I think it is likely to sell well everywhere. At least, it will if it is any good.

6. Captain Queeg

If I were Tim Cook...

.. I'd be shopping for blackberry as an acquisition.

The z10 and q10 both support many many more RF bands than Apple manage per SKU which suggests to me their years of radio experience is something Apple could really do with.

But then Tim Cook earns far more than me, so what do I know

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If I were Tim Cook...

They're just using off the shelf Qualcomm parts like Apple is. Apple doesn't try to support every single band with a single model because it would require more space and they want to keep it as thin as possible.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I imagine the iPhone 5C launch in Beijing will be something like this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23966272

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like