back to article DON'T PANIC says Hynix, China fab explosion is no big deal

Fears that an explosive fire at SK Hynix's Chinese fabs in Wuxi will cause a spike in chip prices are unfounded, says the company. "Currently, there is no material damage to the fab equipment in the clean room, thus we expect to resume operations in a short time period so that overall production and supply volume would not be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cliff

It's China, of course the setback is minor

In the country where the government's face is all that counts, of course it is just a minor blip.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't there some inconsistency here?

"Hynik has been repurposing the fabs for NAND production instead of DRAM..."

"We expect this incident to have a favorable near-term impact on DRAM pricing..."

Why?

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

May be fake.

The link to "local media" in the article, if you look at the comments, a commenter linked to an article from 3 years ago (they claim -- I can't read Turkish enough to tell for sure) with the same photo of the building up in flames. I'm assuming there in fact was a fire, but in that case of the photo of the building being like engulfed in flames is false, Hynix may well be telling the truth that the fire wasn't so bad. Someone trying to crank up DRAM futures prices maybe?

1. Don Jefe

Re: May be fake.

The image shown is known in Chinese propaganda departments stock photo houses as Factory Fire #4 and sometimes Uighur Terrorist Attack #73. Obviously someone has used the incorrect photo for the Hynix incident. Those responsible will be chastised appropriately.

1. FrankAlphaXII

>>Those responsible will be chastised appropriately.

This is China, not North Korea. No public chastising here, or punishment for three generations of your family, as Kim and his cronies like to do. China lacks Juche, with Chinese punishment its just good old fashioned "Maoism" in action.

Basically, it'll work like this: They'll be made to stand in front of People's Propaganda Newspaper Concern No. 56, and will undertake a scathing self-criticism drill (y'see, its much more effective to insult yourself than have some nameless commissar do it) in front of every employee and manager in the company (and possibly the entire local area if the offender is a CPC member) followed of course by six months of reeducation. In Tibet. With no coat.

Unless the bribe is right, of course.

2. ChinaKTeacher

I beg to differ. I live in China, and was here yesterday when the explosion happened. I can see the Hynix factory from my apartment, and could see flames amidst the thick black smoke, even though my apartment is at least 1-1.5 miles away. There would had to have been a MASSIVE fire to see flames at that distance. We were still at the school where I teach when we found out about the explosion. We were told to go home and make sure all of our windows were shut because of the possibly toxic fumes. While the actual picture might not be from the factory, there was indeed a massive fire. No doubt about that.

4. Alistair
    Coat

Inconsistency insisted on for profits

Yes, AC there is inconsistency here. And the inconsistency will be swept under the rug,

As DJ points out, its quite clear there is some alarm being manufactured.

And the alarm will serve to increase profits for everyone.

(Wonder how much short sellinginventory insurance Hynix has on that plant)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like