back to article Rackspace cracks wallet on cloud 'developer discount'

Rackspace has is seasoning new developer accounts with cloud credits as the Texan company tries to lure punters into its bit barns. The "Developer Discount" program was announced by the company on Tuesday, and will see it give developers new to the service $50 of account credit per month. "Developers, hackers, devops people …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

slow?

20-40Mbps is slow? since when ??

Slow to me would be in the 1-2Mbps range (basically typical broadband upload speeds). Quick examination does not reveal any obvious charge per bits or anything so perhaps it is flat rate which would be even more amazing..

I have no idea as to the quality of rackspace's cloud etc, never having used it myself. For now I am still happy with my $200/mo co-location at a local data center with my 1U server for my own needs(cost is for co-lo and 100Mbps bandwidth/power only, I provided the server with quad core 16GB and 3.6TB usable RAID 10). Price isn't too cheap from a home user perspective but given the bandwidth and flexibility it's a good deal. Far cheaper than cloud for sure, I'd wager at least 50% perhaps as high as 80% over time, and that's just a single server, imagine if I had any actual purchasing power(as a consumer).

2. Javapapa

Happy Camper

I've been a Rackspace Cloud Server user for four years. Totally happy camper until I clicked the link to learn about Digital Ocean. Oh well.

RackSpace has served my limited development needs well with a 256 MB server running Ubuntu with root privilege over Xen with MySQL and Tomcat handling JSP chores. Incredibly, this is enough silicon to code, test, fix, and demo. I work in Houston, the data center is in Ft Worth, about 18 milliseconds away. Cost for most of those years was $11/month, (now $15) plus some coin to store backups.

For a former AS/400 programmer/analyst on a budget (yes, we didn't call ourselves "developers", kids, because our code was used long enough to require maintenance), I like the fact that I can experiment with scaling out to multiple servers and a few hours later obliterate them, spending less than the cost of a hot steamin' cuppa Java.

Looking back, I've spent about $600; didn't even bother to expense it each month. You learn things you wouldn't learn by developing on a Thinkpad with localhost access. May not be for everyone, but it has worked for me. Great support. Too bad I don't qualify for the discount. Kinda happy camper.

3. Dr Who

Another Happy Camper

Service, peformance, and reliability for Rackspace in the UK has always been outstanding both for dedictated servers and VMs. Over the last six years they've always lived up to their Fanatical Support mantra.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like