back to article 10,000 app devs SLEEP together in four-day code-chat-drink tech orgy camp

London's O2 is this week hosting Campus Party - a four-day tech-fest during which as many as 10,000 software developers from across Europe get together for coding, talking and drinking. The marketing people like to call it Glastonbury For Geeks. Campus Party does have tents – three and a half thousand of them, two geeks to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RainForestGuppy

Oh for a steam roller..

.. and I could improve the quality of the level of coding overnight.

Real developers code .. wannabes attended corporate sponsored events where they blow smoke up their collective arses, before deciding that code development is hard work and that they want to be project managers or scrum team leaders to advance their careers.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Oh for a steam roller..

Got to hate those developers who are passionate about what they do, it'd be better if they were all old crusties like you. The kind of people who go to these events are people who love coding, and do it in their spare time.

1. Tom 38

Have you read the precis for the "Developer" track at this conference? Developers who are passionate about coding would not be attending this, it is all fluff no stuff. I'm sure it would be a great place to network, make contacts, get an internship as a "digital research assistant", but personally I'd rather be coding than spend time in "Developer 101" sessions. Here's a few gems:

"Ben currently runs European Marketing for cloud-communications startup Twilio. He will talk about the importance of seeing the world as a ‘software person’ and how we are halfway there" - Welcome to the "developer" track.

Keith is an award-winning mobile application developer. He will explain the first steps of iOS development in order to get to app store as an Apple OS developer - crikey, all that secret information - oh no, that's all on the ADC.

To Infinity And Beyond - The Story Of An Infinite Scroll with Liz Rice - wonder what Liz will talk about in the other 59 minutes of the talk.

Putting the entire slam on the "Developer" track is the description of it:

Creating a world out of ones and zeros, developers are the architects and designers of our online arenas. We will present the opportunity for coders and designers to gain skills from expert tutors in some of the world’s most renowned platforms, such as HTML5 and Javascript, as well as the chance to exercise their own talents. What is more, it will be possible to understand how anyone could learn the methods and skills needed to create these web-environments for themselves and thereby, essentially, build your own opportunities. This isn't an opportunity you can pass up.

So there you have it, this isn't an event for developers, it's an event for media/marketing types to dabble a bit in programming and "entrepreneur" their ridiculous ideas without involving actual developers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Of course if coders such as yourself got out a little and mingled with the terrible, terrible non-coders, then we may end up with interfaces that actually make sense, instead of being the utter cluster fuck monstrosities we have to often put up with, just because, well who knows why.

1. h3

Best applications once you know how to use them you get everything you need on one screen.

In many ways for me old Palm OS applications were more useful than the supposedly well designed ones that waste space on a small screen and use 20 screens instead of one.

2. Trygve Henriksen

That's not programming, it's marketing.

Also, real Geeks doesn't party.

Unless they can play Beer-compile...

(Pick a language you're not entirely fluent in, write a program, compile... No errors? Have a beer! Repeat until programmer 'unstacks'.)

3. h3

I have not seen any HTML/Javascript app that on a basic level works as well as the type of thing you used to be able to make very easily with Delphi.

2. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

While it may be true that some "developers" like going to these flag waving events - I have never met one of my calibre who made a habit of going along to these things.

2. kmac499

Events like these aren't about the 'Quality' by which I presume you mean bug count, comment level, fit to the original spec configuration control etc,etc

It's about 'Elegance' You did that how? Cool;

It's about 'Fluency' in the tools used that thes guys can be so productive in such a short time

and most of all,

It's about 'Enthusiasm and Passion' for one of the many skills that is vital for the future of all of us..

So put you're steam roller back in the barn and give the kids a break ..

1. h3

There is no elegance in any of the modern open source stuff I have looked at with very few exceptions.

(Not the fashionable stuff anyway. The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries are elegant and not that old.)

The GNU stuff is certainly not elegant. (libast and UWIN are quite good. If something is elegant I think anybody who is reasonably familiar with the language should be able to read it and understand it straight away. (Even if they couldn't write it themselves)).

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Coat

> Oh for a steam roller..

John Kerry is that you? Shouldn't you be working your your dodgy Syria Dossier?

2. JDX Gold badge

It's like a pod farm in the Matrix

3. Chazmon
    Pint

I'm looking for my tent itsh the blue one...

Well at least many interesting new collaborations will be formed when they drunkenly try and find their tents from in amongst the thousands of identical ones!

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

A working definition of hell?

> four days of motivational speeches

Apart from being stuck in an enclosed space with 10,000 (other) geeks.

Which would be worse: if the sanitation failed, or if the internet connectivity failed?

and which would be noticed first?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: A working definition of hell?

If the showers failed nobody would notice.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

10,000 geeks in regimented tents under a concrete sky

Would "10,000 geeks in regimented tents under a steel sky", not be a better retro title...

6. andy gibson

tent spacing

Any other real campers concerned about the spacing of the tents and fire regs or is it just me?

1. Tom Wood

Re: tent spacing

You've obviously never been to a proper festival.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Donald Becker

Re: tent spacing

Yes, every decent festival has some rain. Even Burning Man occasionally gets some ("playa platform shoes") between the dust storms.

7. Ralph B

That Coder in the Photo

That coder in the photo looks like a girl. Some mistake, Shirley?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: That Coder in the Photo

Definitely. She works for the organisers and is not a coder. :)

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: That Coder in the Photo

...and her name's not Shirley.

8. MondoMan
    WTF?

Protesting AmEx?

So what was Billy Ray's beef with AmEx back in the day?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Protesting AmEx?

No frequent flyer miles?

9. Tom Wood

O2 advertising

Speaking of which, what's with all this O2 crap on El Reg - or more specifically why is it causing Firefox to run like a sloth? Almost as bad as the Independent website.

1. A J Stiles
      FAIL

Re: O2 advertising

You're reading TheRegister, an IT news outlet. It's assumed that you are smart enough to know how to block advertisements -- or at least, you know someone smart enough to do so.

1. Tom Wood

I can, but why should I have to?

Normally these days (since pop-up blockers built in to browsers anyway) adverts are easy enough to ignore. And without them the Reg wouldn't exist, so I'm normally happy to have them there.

But not when they make actually reading the website an unpleasant experience.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry about this. We have reported this problem to 02's creative agency (which makes the ad).

10. SirDigalot

This was a picture of the event in progress...

As we know, they never surface during daylight hours, nor actually socialize, it is a shame you cannot hear the clickety-clickety of all the keyboards being typed on.

alternatively, they all said screw-it and are at the local pub.

Though the way the piece was written, it reminded me somewhat of the phrase... "one time at band camp"

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two word

Sausage Fest

lols

12. Peter Gordon

sounds dreadful!

I'd much rather go to a demoparty like revision or sundown!

13. Christian Berger

BTW, if you want to see real hacker camps...

...where real developers develop real things:

ICMP6: (tiny camp 150 people, Germany)

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=icmp6

OHM2013: (much larger, The Netherlands)

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ohm2013

Such things need to grow organically. This is just a marketing exercise.

This topic is closed for new posts.