back to article Level 3 starts round 2 of layoffs: 60 UK workers to lose jobs

Major internet network operator Level 3 Communications will be axing 60 people in the UK – amounting to five per cent of its British workforce. Altogether, 700 L3 workers are being axed worldwide. Sources told The Register that the company had failed to hit its targets in Europe and the UK and that customer satisfaction with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

:/

"Sources told The Register that the company had failed to hit its targets in Europe and the UK and that customer satisfaction with Level 3 was at an all-time low."

...the layoffs will improve service? Who is on your board? Ex- HSBC board members?

My prediction: Level 3 will continue to suffer with service, introduce more layoffs, suffer more, then be bought @ a rock bottom price by someone like, Oh I dunno, Rackspace* who may feel they can't pass it up to add major pipelining to their portfolio , and then the cycle will repeat.

*(Actually, I can see Virgin going for this...)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If

Level 3 had 90% customer satisfaction there would be no layoffs.

Senior Management need to look at why that is and then sack themselves and hire people who can do the job in the right way. Leave the guys at the coal face alone.

Where I live a company closed down with the loss of 500 jobs and no money to pay the last months wages, yet they were busy and taking on more staff. The failure was with the management and not the workers who were loyal to an 'n'th degree. The Senior management knew that the receivers were about to knock on the door but until the day the keys turned in the lock closing the door the workers had no idea. Just 10 minutes notice.

As a supplier, I found out about it two days after I delivered the service. What are the chances I will get my £987 now?

2. xyz Silver badge
    Holmes

no shit sherlock

>>that customer satisfaction with Level 3 was at an all-time low.

In my humble experience, I haven't the words to even come close explaining what a complete bunch of aaarrggghh, arrrgh, bite knuckles, froth, froth, chewing paint of walls now, tossers this lot are.

3. Roger Stenning

"Letting go"?

That's a phrase designed to make someone feel good about FIRING someone else for no other reason than the profit line sucks. I wish people like this would say what they actually mean: "We've buggered the bursar something horrid, and because of this monumental mismanagement, can't afford to pay both the shareholders and the wages bill anymore. We're therefore going to pay the shareholders, not you."

Is it ANY wonder that people are getting severely Effed Off with these - for want of a more accurate term - clowns?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of most UK.Gov buoyed companies

most UK.Gov supported companies

When SERCO bought IT net TUPE'd the staff and froze SERCO staff wages all the useful people jumped ship and SERCO ended up with the no-hopers and NO clue helpdesk staff running UK.Gov contracts......see last weeks Reg for how it's working for them.

Global Crossing have always been an incompetent bunch but having so many UK.Gov contracts made the bottom line appealing to the buyer.....soon UK.Gov will be put to rebid and the profits will plummet.

5. william 10

>>that customer satisfaction with Level 3 was at an all-time low.

If this is the case, why don't they do something about it !

May be the strategy should be to increase Staff numbers with higher quality better paid staff ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Level 3 has/had 1200 people in the UK still? Who knew?

They have been on a downward spiral for 10+ years. The sooner Virgin media buy them in order to reduce their transit bill, and everyone apart from the core network engineering gets booted, the better.

I still have to include them on tender/RFP documents, god knows why.

I've lost count of the number of times the UK/Europe arm of the company has been "rebooted".

Wake up, time to die.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Rawrwwwww

8. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

As ye sow, so shall ye reap--SPAM

One of the best backbones--for the SPAMMERS. They've evolved to be especially good at ignoring reports of network abuse, the value of the Internet declines--and so does THEIR precious corporate value and profits.

Sorry, I hope every company with such tolerance of spammers goes down. Yahoo, are you listening?

You'd think Yahoo might be desperate enough to implement some powerful and effective anti-spammer tools. Not vigilante justice, but at least let us help with the targeting.

If anyone can convince me that the spammers add ANY positive value to anything, then I think I should buy someone a beer for spraining my brain.

9. Jay 2
    Unhappy

Having experienced a Level 3 run data centre I can see why customer satisfaction might be on the low side. I guess it may have something to do with things like dodgy aircon and power outages.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like