back to article Microsoft takes second run at platform cloud

Microsoft is taking a second run at platform-as-a-service clouds with a set of features to be included in Windows Server 2012 R2 that may give Redmond some credible tech to take on a field flush with rivals. When Windows Azure launched in 2009 many media and analyst reports (El Reg excluded) thought the future for platform-as- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. channel extended
    Holmes

PaaS is?

Some how I don't think that piddling as a service will work out well. I happen to like piddling on my own, after all I really like having things close to hand. I wonder how much they will charge for each license to piddle in the clouds as opposed to at my business.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PaaS is?

There are no licensing costs for anything in Azure that's IAAS based. It is all covered in the rental fees....

This article could have been so much more. There are loads of new features in 2012 R2 - Microsoft have further widened the capability gap over Linux (worlds fastest NFS 4.1 server is Windows!) - and are starting to overtake VMWare in a number of areas.....

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn250019.aspx is worth a read for anyone with even a vague interest in the latest Windows server capabilities....

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

I'd prefer the term 'Faffing'

MS seem to be faffing around with an awful lot these days.

Naturally trying to find out how much all this PaSS stuff is going to cost will be totally beyond even the most die-hard Microsoftie around. Don't even mention CALS....

You'd be better off just giving them an arm and two legs.

Or move to something that is a little less 'cobbled together...'?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'd prefer the term 'Faffing'

"little less 'cobbled together'"

You clearly know zero about the subject to make such a comment. Microsoft's stack is way ahead of anyone else's in this space for integration.

Open Stack and similar are leading the 'cobbled together' model, and VMWare are desperately trying to catch up with Microsoft in Software Defined Networking - after belatedly realising that a solution that relied on proprietary Cisco hardware wasn't gaining any market penetration....and they are also having a great deal of trouble in competing with Hyper-V's 'the hypervisor is free' model.....Microsoft are taking a rapidly increasing market share....VMWare are likely to end up as a niche player.

1. The FunkeyGibbon
        Thumb Down

"VMWare are likely to end up as a niche player"

Care to put money on that? I don't disagree that there is a fight in the marketplace but unless you can see the future, I think you're prediction of marginalisation of VMWare seems a little premature.

1. TheVogon

Sure - I bet you £1 that VMWare's % share of the Hypervisor market shrinks for each of the next 3 years...

3. SpitefulGOD

We recently moved out datacentre from Xerox to Azure solutions cutting the bill from $1.8m to little under $600,000 so these services are nothing to be scoffed at, the ability to spin up servers in seconds or have additional servers automatically spin up and down under load is a god send. We had to take a hit on licensing losing what we owned in perpetual licenses (some $300,000) in exchange and server costs but that will be recouped in the first six month's and office 365 is working out great for us as well

4. Arctic fox
    Windows

Oh, for heaven's sake El Reg, you know perfectly well..............

"Microsoft would make a smooth transition into the heavens where it would rain Bezos's infrastructure-as-a-service Amazon Web Services cloud out of existence and, once again, Ballmer would be the king of software."

...........that there were many that expressed considerable sceptisism with regard to precisely those claims. That view can by no means be described as the consensus view at the time. Do try and avoid giving the impression that you guys are polishing your own halos when you post this kind of stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, for heaven's sake El Reg, you know perfectly well..............

Now now .. This is just an example of a BaaS offering.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like