back to article China: Forget running water, bumpkins. Have some lovely broadband

The Chinese government has pledged to provide nationwide broadband coverage by 2020, an ambitious goal which should see significant extra investment in all kinds of networks, both wired and wireless, in order to reach the country’s vast rural areas. This will almost certainly change the global supply ecosystem for all types …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

Easier to put up mobile towers than it is to lay water pipes.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

But they will still need those water pipes some day.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like in the USA, the system will come with built in back doors to spy on people.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

An economy slowly losing its momentum ?

Now just wait one cotton-picking minute ! China is just starting up its economy. It is a fast-growing young industrializing country with trillions of potential wealth to be realized.

At least that is what was being said a year or two ago.

And now its economy is losing momentum ? Am I supposed to understand that over 70% of households in China have fridges, TV, XBoxes and running water ? Not to mention electricity ? Somehow I don't think so.

I cannot see China's economy as losing momentum. There is way too much to do still before they reach that point. This national broadband project is, on the other hand, a monumentous undertaking however you envision it.

4. frank ly

Economies of scale

"...gathering all of its cable players into a single company with 200 million connections ..."

I wonder if this will result in lower prices to the domestic consumer?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear China Telecoms Ministry...

Please, please, please will you insist that the kit is IPv6 only. (Because the rest of the world needs the impetus that this would give.)

Thank-you.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No doubt they'll all be CGNAT connections, rather than IPv6. Even two years ago Kaiping Cable were all CGNAT. It also plays nicely into the hands of the powers that be, you can't host servers behind CGNAT so no subversive material that the authorities can't take down.

7. HMB

Decent Landline

"I don't know why they are bothering with getting high speed internet out when they haven't got basic landline coverage sorted yet! They can get that right before they think of moving on to this high speed internet thing."

Is the sort of thing I can imagine some people saying on here. :P

1. crayon

Re: Decent Landline

Just to pre-empt them:

Mobile phones have made landlines obsolete for most residential usage. Most people had jumped from "no phone" to "mobile phoneS" and skipped over the "landline phone".

8. Mahou Saru

This is actually a great thing for some of the villagers

In Taiwan the farmers are really benefiting from the interwebs as it allows them to directly sell to the customer cutting out the money grubbing middle men. Still going to need the delivery infrastructure, but its a start.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like