back to article Siri: 'STOP trying to strap me to your forehead. It won't work'

This was the week when ahem colourful chief exec Steve Ballmer announced his retirement from Microsoft. The 23-year veteran Microsoftie is to leave the Windows giant with bulging pockets and love in his heart. He told employees in a heartfelt missive: I love this company. I love the way we helped invent and popularize …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wowfood

The thing that worried me most about DMI is the fact that people said we knew all about that, but no one said. That's a problem of culture where fingers are pointed and people don't feel they can own up and say something's wrong.

The problem here is that they probably did complain. Heck we complain here about the stupid shit our workplace is doing all the time, it just elevates to a point of nothingness.

Bottom rung workers: "This makes absolutely no sense, why are we wasting our time / money on this when we know it won't work?"

Bottom rung managers. "We know it won't work, but the big wigs won't accept it won't work, until we at least try for a while, so there's no point complaining about it now."

A few months later.

Bottom rung workers. "Why are we still doing this?"

Bottom rung manager. "Well, the ball is rolling now, but I'll have a word."

Higher up manager who started project. "We've already invested X into the project, if we don't produce something now we (read I) will look like idiots."

Several months later when it finally gets canned.

Higher up manager who started project. "Nobody ever told me that the project wasn't going as planned, if I'd been kept informed it wouldn't have spiralled out of control. It's those nitwits on the bottom rungs fault."

Bottom rung workers and manager. *Facepalm*

1. Ted Treen
      Pint

You are Scott Adams...

...and I claim my prize!

2. John H Woods Silver badge

Lots of people in IT ...

... knew that it was failing from the grapevine - for goodness' sake, it was even in Private Eye - how can they claim to not have known?

2. Annihilator
    Happy

iPhone 2006

Thanks for the look back at the iPhone article :-) Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and Bill was probably right at the time, he just couldn't have guessed how far Apple managed to twist the mobile operators arms in terms of exclusivity. The assumption that iTunes was only a hardware subsidy engine changed quite rapidly too.

3. PhilBuk
    FAIL

Silly DARPA Man

"there cannot be an exponential that doesn't end" - sorry, but exponentials never end - it's in their nature. Obviously not a maths man.

Phil.

1. RobHib
      Angel

@PhilBuk - Re: Silly DARPA Man

"...but exponentials never end"

But physics does.

Exponentials and div/0 stuff are also reasons why we 'cheat' in mathematics.

You know - blah, blah: In the limit dy/dx -- > whatever!

This topic is closed for new posts.