back to article New York Times, Twitter domain hijackers 'came in through front door'

Hacktivist collective the Syrian Electronic Army (SEA) – or someone using its name – has claimed responsibility for hijacking the Twitter.co.uk, NYTimes.com and HuffingtonPost.co.uk web addresses. At the time of writing, many of the domain names the SEA claimed to have seized were back under their owners' control. In some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A friend of mine was having twitter-related DNS issues earlier, I figured it was just him since mine was fine, but I guess mine was cached, and he was seeing what was actually going on.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yikes!

Wow. I can remember when Melbourne IT was a tiny outfit started by Melbourne University.

Now (according to their corporate website) they have 690 employees spread across 18 offices in 10 countries.

I guess it goes to show the unimportance of name selection* when starting a business.

*Exceptions: "Advanced Typewriters", etc.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Yikes!

Yep, for most business nothing is in a name. The marketing creeps will try to tell you differently but they're wrong. Businesses will become associated with whatever product you put out.

I've fixed friends PC's who used 'Mozilla' for their browser and my assistant 'Xerox's' stuff even though our copiers are all Ricoh.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The Register has tried to contact MelbourneIT, so far without success."

Did you check the info in the name records?

4. dwrjones87

Isn't MelbourneIT the registrar for Microsoft too?

5. Mtech25
    WTF?

Excuse my ignorance but

How exactly does this hack attack help Assad and the Syria goverment fight the rebels?

1. Don Jefe

Re: Excuse my ignorance but

By controlling the Great Satan's engines of lies the SEA will greatly increase its 'Friends' and 'Likes'. If one million people 'Friend' them they have sworn to send their followers topless pictures.

1. Mtech25
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: Excuse my ignorance but

Topless pictures of Assad, they want the likes right?

6. g e
    Big Brother

Best give them some Freedom From Above then, pronto

Yeehah.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like