back to article Microsoft gives away more data with SkyDrive upgrade

Microsoft has dramatically increased the default storage space available for customers of its SkyDrive Pro service. The upgrades were announced by Microsoft on Tuesday and see Redmond increase the overall storage space available for each user from 7GB to 25GB, and add other features as well. SkyDrive Pro is a store 'n' sync …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dorsetknob
    FAIL

NSA NEEDS YOUR DATA UPLOAD YOUR FULL 25 Gig

"" You know Microslut will keep it safe and secure from prying spies""

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Secure date in the cloud ..

> NSA needs your data upload your full 25GB

The NSA have some massive storage, that's how they can keep your data secure from *you* ..

2. LMitchell
      Facepalm

Everyone is in the same boat

So are you saying Dropbox wouldn't comply with a Government order? This isn't a competitive distinction unless your provider has no assets or business to be leveraged in the US (which is certainly not the big providers). If you are concerned you need to apply at rest encryption to your files.

2. Tom 35

OK for Office 365 users/victims

But as a general sync tool I like Drop Box more. I don't want to store everything in the cloud, I just want to use it for stuff I share between my phone and computer. The free 3 GB is fine for that.

There is no drop box app for the surface, and I have to use the web interface, but the skydrive app will not let you keep a local sync of anything so it's not any better, just bigger (still shows 7 GB).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OK for Office 365 users/victims

Dropbox is cross-platform, which is a big advantage.

But...still all your data is at the behest of a secret US court order, or a rogue employee. Encrypt *before* it goes off your machine!

3. Charles Manning

May as well offer us 1TB free

We're still not going to use it.

1. Thorne

Re: May as well offer us 1TB free

What if the NSA says please?

2. dogged

I use it. So many corporate email providers bounce zips and executables that sending code to, for example a company that posts example code on github that doesn't fucking work* is far easier if I send a link to Skydrive instead.

Since that code has no business case for security, Skydrive is as good as anything and it was free.

*Most recent usage.

1. dogged
        Meh

Donvoted because Bob Vistakin, I suppose.

2. Sporkinum

Skydrive, and the other storage sites are blocked at work, so they are useless to me. That being said, I have 25GB of Skydrive space I got through a promo a couple of years ago that I don't use.

3. N2

Agreed, until 8.1 ships with Skydrive as the default directory for saving files.

4. MacroRodent

Deja Vu

25 Gb for free? That is actually the amount Skydrive offered originally. They then cut it back to 7 Gb, except people (like me) who started using it before the downgrade got to keep the 25 Gb.

1. HipposRule

Re: Deja Vu

SkyDrive Pro with 25Gb - or personal SkyDrive?

1. MacroRodent
        Windows

Re: Deja Vu

Personal. I never paid a cent for it (unless you count the usual Windows tax; I fell for the offer while setting up a HP laptop).

5. MJI Silver badge

I don't trust News International either

Well with that name what else are you supposed to think?

6. haveAnIceDay

Mega...

... gets down and gives you 50.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"stored in a secure cloud service"

My definition of security would mean encryption *before* it gets to MS (or any other cloud provider).

Why should they (or US gov) be in a position to access my data without either asking me or my own country's courts?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

all your files belongs to us

US and the NSA, that is ;)

9. Mostor Astrakan
    Happy

Ahhh...

The joys of sparse provisioning. For every person who uses the full 25GB, there's a whole horde who never will.

10. Glostermeteor

As long as you don't want to store anything confidential, it's absolutely fine. i.e. Anything of any real use still has to be stored offline if you don't want a spotty data analyst poking around with it. Edward Snowden you are a hero!

11. kurtfarrar

Copy.com have been offering far more through referral bonuses for a while now. I switched from SkyDrive a long time ago, and has better features for businesses that require local, sync'd storage of files.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like