back to article Poison Ivy RAT becoming the AK-47 of cyber-espionage attacks

The Poison Ivy Remote Access Tool (RAT) - often considered a tool for novice "script kiddies" - has become a ubiquitous feature of cyber-espionage campaigns, according to experts. Research by malware protection firm FireEye has revealed that the tool served as lynchpin of many sophisticated cyber attacks, including the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomalous Cowshed

What to do about these RAT things?

Even the experts don't know how to deal with them. The other day, a senior industry source was heard saying:

"There's a rat in the kitchen, what am I going to do?"

Twice.

After which, losing all sense of proportion and decorum, he went on to say:

"I'm going to kill the rat, that's what I'm going to do, I'm going to kill the rat..."

Before starting to hum and gyrate and nod back and forth in a frankly alarming way, suggesting he had been drinking too much red, red wine.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: What to do about these RAT things?

Considering some of the other lyrics in that song, I felt the final verse to be rather fitting (if aimed at certain entities)..

"You invade my space

Make me feel disgraced

And you just don't give a damn

If I had my way

If I had my say

I'd like to see you hang "

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

When do we get a white paper from the NSA ?

This is actual cyber-terrorism, is it not ? Or does the fact that this is a threat against companies and citizens, not government, make this a non-item for NSA surveillance ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When do we get a white paper from the NSA ?

well for a long time the white paper on NSA/BND RATs was at http://www.gliif.org/LI_standards/TR_TKUE_English_V4_0.pdf

but now it seems to have moved! There are also more RATTy details at http://surveillance.rsf.org/en/gamma-international/

The RAT is used by LI against people/organisations - and can UPLOAD anything they care to do so, then do a Snowden and delete the logs. So you're right it is Cyberterrorism but NSA already hold the high-ground?

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: When do we get a white paper from the NSA ?

This is actual cyber-terrorism, is it not?

Yes, it is pure, naked aggression.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coordinated attacks on software flaws ..

Who is going to protect us from all these Lienex software flaws ..

1. itzman

Re: Coordinated attacks on software flaws ..

if you look at the references, the software flaws were all in windows/OSX machines...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like