back to article VMware's Project Zombie gives dumb servers BRAAAAINS

VMware has taken the wraps off the gigantic task-automation system that will marshal resources in its upcoming infrastructure-as-a-service cloud. "Project Zombie" was unveiled at PuppetConf 2013 in San Francisco on Friday by VMware's infernal zombie commander (officially: Automation Architect, Hybrid Cloud Services) Nicholas …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. IGnatius T Foobar
    WTF?

Buzzword much?

I think this article may have set the new record for buzzword density.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Buzzword much?

And yet since VMWare is a US company, "All your data are belong to NSA".

1. Ben Boyle
        Black Helicopters

Re: Buzzword much?

All your data are belong to U.S.

FTFY ;)

2. h3

Trying to think of a situation where 1 1/2 hours vs 72 hours is going to make much difference.

I suppose if you are using those datacentre in a shipping container things just dumping say 20 all over the world it might be reasonable to use this but there is still the power to test.

I don't know that much about these type of deployments but I cannot think of how ever going live with something after three hours or whatever is not going to be exposing yourself to a world of pain.

If you are building a datacentre from scratch 72 hours is nothing in the scheme of things.

1. Andy 73 Silver badge

The complete data centre example is perhaps a bit misleading. When you're running with continuous/one touch deploy, speed matters. Being able to rapidly deploy or revert a configuration, preferably without absorbing all the time of your dev-ops guys becomes very valuable.

3. IT_24x7

Years behind

VMware is YEARS behind in public cloud. It takes years of investment in hardware, people, automation and more. VMware took their eye off the ball buying companies (sliderocket, zimbra) that they just sold off. Too little, too late and too expensive.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm confused

Hasn't VMware been announcing their "cloud" for several years now? Hey, we have cloud !! Hey, we have a real cloud now. Hey, look a cloud with automation now. What the hell did they offer before if it didn't have good automation? WTH? And based on Puppet? Their market clearly isn't Windows shops so who are they targeting? Cock up in progress for sure. Way to blow a huge technology lead in the datacenter guys.

Also, the whole Pivotal thing is a wack job. We're building the next generation cloud platform for EMC .. Ohp, we're not really a cloud platform, but you can now get our super duper Hadoop Distribution. I talked to an employee at a trade show after PivotalHD launched and asked about the product and what it meant and he started his non-response by shaking his head and looking at the floor for inspiration. Nobody told him it was launching. Very confusing lineup and strategy ( if you can call it that)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm confused

I think you are confused about what the difference is between a service and a software stack.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arrrrhhhaaa

Sorry, dead on arrival

6. Stevie

Bah!

"... describing how ZED lets him say in a single line "do all these things concurrent, wait, then do all of this." "

Because two or more lines would introduce a pause in which to consider the wisdom of doing "all this" across the enterprise.

Which would be a bad thing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like