back to article Apple snaffles travel app in quest for way out of Maps debacle

Apple has bought another mapping startup, this time a small firm called Embark that develops public transit maps for download to Apple and Android devices. Last month, Cupertino splashed out on Canadian startup Locationary and online transit-navigation service HopStop.com to augment its mapping app, and now its Embark's turn. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. rvt

I believe that waze traffic was just integrated, so,youmgot some popups or something on google maps send frame was. I am working from home though, don's use maps as i know may we from my bed to the office (left, up,the strairs right, first door left, don't let the cat out of the office). No need for mals here.

1. julianh72
      Coat

RE: "No need for mals here"

Looks like you could use a good spell checker though!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Public Transport mapping start up.

Crickey, going on past performance with their mapping you'd better double check the location of your destination before you rely on them to guide you there.

2. Richard Jones 1
    Happy

Apple Maps - The Real Social Network Application

Perhaps the idea was to direct people, lots of people to places they had never seen. That way they could all meet up, i.e. be sociable, while wondering why they were there. At least they would have being lost as something in common.

3. Ascylto
    Big Brother

It's probably a UK thing but Apple's Maps has been OK here and a friend got out of serious trouble using Apple Maps. I have found the turn-on-turn an absolute boon. I'd use Google maps but I don't know how but I recently used Apple Maps and it got me back to the hospital I had come from... my own fault as I'd not set it correctly (holding it wrong, perhaps).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I use both Google Maps and Apple Maps - neither is perfect but each has it's strengths and I'd have a hard time saying either is significantly better than the other. YMMV.

2. johninokinawa

NOTHING WRONG WITH MAPS APP

There never was anything wrong with the Apple Maps App.

I think the fuss was started by Google.

Sure there were a few bent bridges and so on, but I never used that view, so it didn't bother me. I live in Okinawa where there are no addresses and very complicated streets, so I desperately need something to guide me. I hook up my iPhone through the car stereo and use Siri and Maps to get around. It hasn't failed yet.

It's MUCH easier to use than the Google app. It also ties in with your address book, so you don't need to futz around reentering stuff like you have to with the Google app.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: NOTHING WRONG WITH MAPS APP

I'd say having Stratford-upon-Avon missing completely would be in the category of something wrong.

3. jonathanb Silver badge
      Gimp

Well it still thinks Luton is in Devon, just north of Blackpool.

1. PJI
        Pint

Luton in Devon? Yes, it is:

http://www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/REGIONS/Devon/Luton?enhanced=1

(thought this may be the most convincing evidence for the average Reg. reader).

I think you will find that, in many countries, especially ancient ones like England, place names recur in different areas. You need to open your mind and be a bit more precise about which Luton you want.

1. PJI
          Pint

Also, Blackpool is in Devon, twice

To quote that fount of all knowledge, Wikipedia:

There are two hamlets called Blackpool in Devon, England. These are near Plymouth[1] and on Start Bay[2] respectively.

4. Nifty Silver badge

A Reg reader that does not know how to use Google Maps?

Which part of "install the app or visit the mobile website" do you get stuck at?

Apple maps app still has no public transport or walking navigation in the UK.

When will this app even get started?

5. Arctic fox
    Happy

I saw a very entertaining poster in our IT dept this morning.

It purported to show a celebrity endorsement of Apple's maps app by Amelia Earhart.

6. Robert Grant
    Happy

app in quest for way out of Maps debacle

That would be "inquest", no?

7. Alienrat

I use both apple maps and google maps. I find the new google maps has gone backwards on usability with the new version (the same as the web version - you can still go back to the old version, hope that stays).

In general I prefer apple maps, I find the traffic better and the mapping clearer. This changes in London where I find its lack of clarity of tube station makes it not so useful. Luckily I only go there occasionally.

Neither of them are perfect, they both have locations and roads wrong but all the time they are both there and fighting each other, the better they both get and that has to be good.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like