back to article 'Congressional watchdog' reports patent trolling rising fast

The US Government Accountability Office (GAO), the independent, nonpartisan "congressional watchdog" charged with reporting to that branch of government how tax dollars are spent, has released its long-awaited report on patent infringement lawsuits, and has concluded that such suits are on the rise. From 2000 to 2010, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Denarius
    Holmes

why is this unexpected ?

I thought that was the intent of software patents ? Laws made by lawyers, for lawyers. And a government whose inner circle is mostly lawyers. Thats most in the west these days. Governments that serve mostly the big end of town, no matter how well intentioned the individual local rep may be. The concept of the common good and citizen seems to have been lost in the welter of special pleading from self appointed victims that want money. I digress. Perhaps the cure for the current flood of overly prescriptive government is to ensure all candidates for legal roles have a decade in the real world first. Running a corner store or small engineering firm spring to mind.

1. frank ly

Re: why is this unexpected ?

I think shelf-stacker or floor sweeper for a six month trial period, at first, so that your basically good idea doesn't ruin any corner stores or small engineering companies.

1. Tom 13

Re: why is this unexpected ?

I'd vote for burger flippers or fast food cashiers, at current non-unionized minimum wage. Shelf-stacking and floor sweeping have minimal customer satisfaction demands. Although I'm willing to let them start as shelf-stackers or floor sweepers and be promoted after they've proven themselves competent at the first task.

2. MacGyver

Money

It's simple, any public office or government job (including Congress or Senate) carries with it a stipulation that the person may NEVER have an income higher then 15x the poverty level, the end. I'm talking combined income too, and for the rest of their lives, that any income over that amount is taxed at 100%. You could say "That's not fair." Fine, don't run for public office. Money, and some peoples' insatiable appetite for more, is the problem. Getting rid of the people that want money above the better interest of society is the only way for anything to get better.

1. Tom 13

Re: Money

Money is both fungible and liquid. It transforms and flows around obstacles, so all attempts at thwarting its collection are doomed to failure.

Full disclosure is the only real solution. Any amounts in excess of $500 which are paid/donated/collected by the public official and any immediate relatives (husband/wife, children, brothers, sisters, mother, father, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews) must be publicly reported and accessible on the interwebs. The name of the person making the donation must be publicized. Corporations would need to list sufficient information so that if it were an attempt to circumvent publicity laws the person can be identified. And no, I'm not sure how this last bit can be accomplished.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Talk about stating the bleedin' obvious. How much did this 'in depth' report cost the long-suffering taxpayer?

This topic is closed for new posts.