back to article Business rival makes highest ever online libel payout

A company and its chief executive will be paid the highest damages yet awarded for libel on the internet in the UK. Peter Walls and Gentoo will be paid £119,000 by rival firm owner John Finn. Finn initially denied posting a series of defamatory and abusive comments but changed his position during a trial last year and has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Buxton

Jimmy should look out

"The court can and will award substantial sums of money for false and defamatory statements. While the court was told of the difficulties of tracking people down, the fact remains that they can be tracked down."

You need look no further than Wikipedia.

2. Chronos
    Linux

Tanner, half crown...

Phew! Not the Lunix distro, then? Many's the time I've ribbed Gentoo users for being, well, odd. -O99 -pipe -funroll-loops -funroll-all-loops -ffast-math -freally-fast-math -freally-really-fast-math -fi-am-1337 -fsod-space-gimme-speed -fhold-the-pickles -march=blue-gene...

Then portage craps itself a couple of weeks later and they have to start again. "But it's fun!" comes the reply. Funny old world...

3. Guy Redwood

Board owner / ISP

Are there any details over the liability of the bulletin board owners or even the ISP? Were the board owners protected by their terms & conditions for transferal of liability to the people posting?

As an administrator, in my spare time, of a hobbiest bulletin board - I'd be interested in knowing more about that.

4. Not That Andrew
    Coat

Strange that they didn't go after Private Eye

Private Eye have also printed some pretty serious allegations against Sunderland Housing themselves, as well as closely covering the whole "Dad's Place " debacle.

Mines the one next to the "Fuck the Housing Associations before they fuck you" banner, thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.