back to article Microsoft Exchange: To host or not to host

Webcast To host or not to host: cloud is the question. With the recent release of Exchange 2013 and Wave 15 of Office 365, you probably have a choice to make in the near future, particularly if you're one of the huge number who also use Exchange for messaging. Do you migrate to the newest version of Exchange, migrate to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Should be obvious...

When looking at "cloud" there's little you can do when it comes down (take Google (though not directly comparable), take the recent Amazon or Microsoft outages...). Perhaps apart from looking up their own error reports (if they actually share anything) or social media.

And no matter how hard you scream, threaten (or actually start) with throwing chairs or start crying over vaporated clouds; it won't make the outage magically go away.

Yet when that local server comes down and you have a qualified IT team or department then at least you can start yelling at those guys ;-) It might even help motivate them to fix the issue a bit quicker (depending on the issue(s) at hand obviously).

Keep things in-house and you gain more control. Go into the cloud all you want, but don't be surprised if you find lots of fog along the way.

1. Christian Berger

Re: Should be obvious...

Well we aren't talking about something simple as a Postfix server. Exchange is hard to run and maintain, plus since it's closed source and used in some high profile targets, it's probably full of back doors from various entities.

So the decision isn't that obvious. You are already depending on a single company plus your IT department, outsourcing this would remove the dependency on our IT department.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Should be obvious...

>Exchange is hard to run and maintain

For most companies that effectively means either do your own hosting (ie. do it all in-house) or contract with someone else to either host it on your premises or elsewhere.

I think you'll find that many SMB's will currently be running it on their premises with a local third-party providing the expert care and attention. Obviously, where the majority of your staff are office-based, this can make sense as the internet connection is only effectively being used for external email. Once they have more than one site and/or have home/remote workers then they will effectively have some users accessing a hosted service, meaning that the quality of the internet connection becomes important. Which brings us to the fundamental consideration: how sensitive is the business to having it's access severed?

I bring this up as a client (an SMB) recently lost internet connectivity to one of their sites for nearly a week because of cable damage/theft within the local WAN infrastructure, something that happens quite frequently across the UK ...

2. xavi

Hosting with NSA?

Would you host your company data with NSA, if you are not an US company (or if you are also...). Basically this is "hosting with any US company", like MS, Google, etc, would look like. All data there is snooped by NSA and passed over to other US companies for "national security reasons".... Trust will NEVER be regained again by US companies.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

TheRegister - ical appointment details

I do find it irritating that the ical file el Register provides, contains no link back to either this article or the webcast page. Yes I know that they will send me an email nearer the time, but 5 minutes before the even I will get the appointment reminder pop-up giving easy access to such information, rather than trawling back through my inbox (and all it's distractions) to find the email with the relevant details...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like