back to article Fear the JOBZILLA! 150ft STATUE of Steve planned 'lest fanbois forget'

The world's most fervent fanbois have launched a campaign to build a massive icon of Apple Godhead Steve Jobs that could end up bigger than the Statue of Liberty. Passionate iZealots have launched a fundraising drive on crowdfunding site Indiegogo, aiming to raise $50,000 to build a life-sized statue. If they manage to raise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Somewhere ...

... Steve's spinning. Idiots abound.

RIP, bud.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The statue will be put up somewhere in the Bay Area, with a poll held to determine the exact location."

If it is on private land, hopefully Man+dog will be able to forget about it for the rest of time, until the universe implodes.

If the desire is to be on public land...I hope every single community has the intelligence tells them to "Stuff off!".

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

More likely to be on the territory of one of the FoxConn factories at this price tag. There is no way in hell to build a statue of this size for this amount of money unless you use Foxconn labour.

If it is in the Bay area you can safely multiply the size by at least 0.1 if not 0.01. In fact, if it is on public land the planning approval will cost more than that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For $50k they can probably get agarden gnome in a black turtleneck put somewhere around the doughnut.

1. Not That Andrew

A little googling reveals that $30k could get you a custom life size bronze statue, depending on the foundry and complexity of the work and as far as I can tell, excluding artists comission, which will be hefty. You still need the site and planning permission and obviously designing and building a base and erecting a statue costs money.

So if they are thrifty and lucky they might do it with $50k to $70k. However as they don't seem to have the sort of idea that two minutes of googling would give you, so they probably will end up with a garden gnome in a turtleneck.

3. Fihart

Pigeon target for time immemorial.

@AC "If it is on private land, hopefully Man+dog will be able to forget about it for the rest of time"

But pigeons will remember to shit on his black polo shirt. Think how much that would annoy him.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't know why you are saying that.

Viewers of the statue will only be charged $0.99 a look.

1. His Royal Yodaship
        Trollface

<em>Viewers of the statue will only be charged $0.99 a look.</em>

But only if they look at the right way...

3. Christian Berger

Fascinating

The man who worked hard on destroying Apple computer, even getting rid of everything with the original Apple computer logo (the one with the colourful stripes) will now get a monument. I wonder if the next leader at Apple will tear it down again.

1. Ted Treen
      Facepalm

Re: Fascinating

"... destroying Apple computer..."???

Now that's what I call a reality distortion field.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Reg's anti-Apple bias is tiring and decidedly immature. Grow up, kids.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

What's so special about him?

While Gates might deserve a statue for his charity work, should he for his computing work?

Does Ballmer?

Jobs was just a marketing CEO. A good one, but that's it.

This is the product of a crazy fandom, frankly I find it creepy.

Also, $50k doesn't get you a public statue. It gets you a custom mannequin, only suitable for protected indoor display.

A public statue has to survive the weather - and the traffic cone on its head!

1. ukgnome
        Coffee/keyboard

@Richard 12

Jobs was just a marketing CEO. A good one, but that's it.

No, even though we don't like to admit it, Jobs was also an engineer, a marketing drone wouldn't understand the technology. He was a spin doctor, but show me an engineer that doesn't believe his product is awesome. To simply suggest that he was a drone is appalling. And I'm a fandroid through and through!

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Thumb Down

anti-Apple bias?

It's just reflecting popular opinion. There are fanbois, and there are the rest of us. Guess which group has more members?

1. g e
        Holmes

Re: anti-Apple bias?

More like the WBC of technology - fundie radicals.

Cos if it were popular opinion and 'normal' there'd be statues of Zuckerberg, Jay-Z and Elvis (oh, hang on ) everywhere, wouldn't there.

So, it's dribbling nutbags rather than 'mainstream popularity', obviously.

1. pepper
          Pint

My early morning brain read Zuckerberg as Zoidberg.. I would totally like to see a statue of that, with a annual 'do the zoidberg' event!

Also, coffee!

1. Fibbles
            Thumb Up

Re: Woop Woop Woop

A Zoidberg statue would have to be mounted on rails so it could constantly shuffle off sideways.

1. pepper

Call me silly, but I quite like doing the zoidberg!

1. Ted Treen
                Happy

@Pepper

OK, you're silly.

Very, very silly.

2. His Royal Yodaship
        Holmes

<em>It's just reflecting popular opinion. There are fanbois, and there are the rest of us. Guess which group has more members?</em>

To which I am now going to add the category "iDiots"

5. graeme leggett Silver badge

Perhaps it could be sited next to the Colossus of Yorba Linda?

seem to be similar projects.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Classic Jobby.

Don't put up a penny of your money and stick someone else for the bill.

Hilarius.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Stop

"Don't put up a penny of your money and stick someone else for the bill"

More like "Don't put up a statue and stick someone else for the bill".

Nobody yet seems to have noticed that this project is Flexible Funding, which means the people behind it will get to keep the money even if the $50k is not raised with no obligation to deliver anything. An outlandish project like this that also uses Flexible Funding is a very strong indicator of a scam.

1. Mephistro
        Thumb Up

Re: "Don't put up a penny of your money and stick someone else for the bill" (@ Jedit)

Came here to write a comment along the same lines, but you saved me the effort. :o)

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

Re: "Don't put up a penny of your money and stick someone else for the bill"

"An outlandish project like this that also uses Flexible Funding is a very strong indicator of a scam."

So perhaps a true commemoration of Jobby?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is not the least bit surprising

originating, as it does, in one of the loonier parts of one of the least rational countries.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder

.. how these people (who started this) will deal with a death of a close member of their family... do they have lots of life sized statues in their garden do you think?

1. Darryl
      Gimp

Re: I wonder

Nah - I doubt any members of their families are as important to them as St. Jobs

9. Steve Todd

They'd be pushed to create a life-sized statue

on a budget of $50,000, and costs go up geometrically from there. No-one is going to be building a new colossus, but that wouldn't be news for Mr Hamill to rant about.

1. nematoad
      Happy

Re: They'd be pushed to create a life-sized statue

Yes, 150 feet tall and all at the knock-down price of $50,000.

What's it going to be made of?

Cardboard?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Nah, we can get real bronze for that price as long as it's built by Foxconn wage-slaves!! I'm figuring less than 20 suicides during construction.....

2. Steve Todd

"The project budget is based on quotes for a life-sized statue.", so there isn't a plan for a large statue but "However, if the campaign raises enough capital - more than what we could conservatively hope to raise - we'll aim for Statue of Liberty and Colossus of Rhodes proportions :)." so even they don't think they'll hit that size. They are however claiming that they'll size it based on the funds they collect.

Given current funding I'm not sure they'll hit the target for life size.

1. VinceH
          Trollface

"Given current funding I'm not sure they'll hit the target for life size."

Especially after handing Apple their 30%.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Planet of the Ap(ple)s....

If I ever have to pay $800 for a tablet, I'll probably be found prostrate in front of the full-size Jobs statue screaming "Damn you! Damn you all to Hell!!"

1. hammarbtyp
      Thumb Up

Re: Planet of the Ap(ple)s....

Actually it's a great idea. The only thing missing from Apple being promoted to a full religion was a point of veneration. Christians have Jerusalem, Muslims have Mecca, so this could become a focal point for all Apple fan bois.

They could bring there broken Apple devices to be healed by the power of jobs(just place your credit card in the slot under the statue ) and bring false idols such as Samsung phones to be ritually sacrificed.

I can imagine it now, turtle necked wearing monks ushering the expectant masses to the Ives designed golden statue where the chief priest, the sainted Tim Cook, would give blessings and maybe a free bump cover to those willing to embrace the faith.

For those who cannot make it that far, smaller statues could be installed in Genius bars round the world

1. VinceH

Re: Planet of the Ap(ple)s....

"Actually it's a great idea. The only thing missing from Apple being promoted to a full religion was a point of veneration. Christians have Jerusalem, Muslims have Mecca, so this could become a focal point for all Apple fan bois."

At which point my term for them - Applytes - would suddenly seem even more (scarily) appropriate than ever.

11. rcorrect
    Facepalm

For crying out loud

Can we just let him die already? He isn't a God. As much as I love my Macintosh, I admire Bill Gates (for charitable efforts) and Linus Torvalds a lot more.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anomalous Cowshed

A couple of comments and ideas

I must agree with what the honourable commenting philosophers have stated above. $50,000 is most unlikely to pay for a 150 foot (50 metre) tall statue. A 50 metre tall statue is more likely to cost about $2 million at least, if it is made of reinforced concrete, and more if made out of bronze. It's a mini-skyscraper. You cannot buy a mini-skyscraper for $50,000, save perhaps in the plans of con artists and the dreams of their future victims.

Also, putting up such a huge statue might cause resentment among the local inhabitants, it might lead to a drop in the prices of their houses, and it might open the floodgates to all kinds of mega statues of people who are not necessarily universally admired. Who is to say that 50 metres would be the maximum? We have buildings going up in the UAE and China that reach up to 800 metres tall. Someone might have a bright idea and leave his fortune of 10 billion dollars to have a monument 1-2km high erected in his memory, with the remainder to be donated to the re-erection fund (please excuse the apparently accidental typo) of the local politicians, and then we'll start to get into serious trouble.

I would say, put up a suitable monument to the memory of Steve Jobs, but put it where it belongs: on the Internet. You can build him a statue 150 miles high there, and you will still have enough change from the $50,000 to buy yourselves a small ocean-going yacht.

1. jake Silver badge

@ Anomalous Cowshed (was:Re: A couple of comments and ideas)

"a suitable monument to the memory of Steve Jobs"

I have one of those. He carved his name into my picnic table.

The man was human. He was a friend of mine.

Again, RIP bud.

1. Jediben
        WTF?

Re: @ Anomalous Cowshed (was:A couple of comments and ideas)

He didn't try to charge you for use of his IP after, did he?

1. jake Silver badge

@ Jediben (was: Re: @ Anomalous Cowshed (was:A couple of comments and ideas)

"He didn't try to charge you for use of his IP after, did he?"

No. Steve liked me because I didn't fall for his so-called "personal reality distortion field". In otherwords, he groked that I didn't fall for marketing bullshit ... and liked to bounce ideas off me.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Go

"I have one of those. He carved his name into my picnic table."

Wow.

You have an original autographed Steve Jobs table (an iTable (TM) perhaps?)

Joking aside if he was your fried I trust you will commemorate his life in a suitable fashion.

1. jake Silver badge

"You have an original autographed Steve Jobs table (an iTable (TM) perhaps?)"

No, it's my table. I built it myself. Standard picnic table, but 16 feet long. Has lots of other carvings from back in the day ... CROMEMCO folks, Honeywell folks, Philco folks, HP Folks (includng Bill & Dave!), DEC folks, Sperry folks, Admiral Grace ... Palo Alto was a VERY fun place to be, if you were a techno-nerd, before tehintrawebtubes became ubiquitous.

"Joking aside if he was your fried I trust you will commemorate his life in a suitable fashion."

I don't need to. I fried him the occasional lunch ;-)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Not That Andrew
        Thumb Up

@Jake

Dunno why people are downvoting you, he was a human with human foibles and failings. have an upvote.

1. jake Silver badge
          Pint

@ Not That Andrew (was: Re: @Jake)

People down-vote me out of reflex. I think I scare them. No worries.

Beer?

2. His Royal Yodaship
      Boffin

Re: A couple of comments and ideas

<b>I've a great iDea</b>

If they make the statute, the head should be filled with optic fibres arranged in a 360 degree ring so that they can collect sun light from any direction. The optic fibres would then be brought to a single point in the statue, and that way the sun could me made permanently shine out Steve Jobs' arse.

14. hammarbtyp

If they follow the apple business process correctly

Then once erected the next step will be to sue New York for the statue of liberty infringing on their IP rights...

15. deadlockvictim

Ceaucescu

There should be many retired or redundant metalsmiths in Romania and other ex-Soviet-Block countries with ample experience of making oversized statues.

The statue-commissioners should check there first, because if few know more about deified larger-than-life figures than they.

On a more serious note, if you want a monument to Steve Jobs, go buy an original mac (the one from Jan 1984) or a bondi-blue iMac. Either of these will honour his vision and an important contribution that he made to society.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Devil

" if you want a monument to Steve Jobs, go buy an original mac"

If you want a monument to Steve Jobs, relieve yourself in a Superloo. They look flashy, but aren't really any better than alternatives that are far cheaper and have greater functionality [1]. Plus, you get a free statue of Steve Jobs!

[1] Superloos pre-soap the water in their sinks, so you can't rinse your toothbrush.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear.

'The cult of celebrity' springs to mind....Mao, Deng Xao Ping, Stalin, Hitler, Caesar - any good old fashioned dictator, fascist or cult leader knows youve got to work on this and Jobs was certainly no different.

How come Bill Gates & Warren Buffet, donator of multiple billions of their own money to genuinely worthwhile projects, dont get a statue, whereas the guy that binned the apple charity fund 15 years ago but is somehow held up as an example of benevolence to us all, does.

Get a grip.

1. Not That Andrew

Re: Oh dear.

Nah, this is just some conmen looking to rip off obsessive Apple fans.

17. WonkoTheSane
    Trollface

"Somwhere in the Bay Area?

Place it _straddling_ the San Andreas Fault... and wait

18. g e

This tells you all you need to know about appleist fundies

I'm just concerned that some non-Google idiots will think it's a great idea to do with a droid and drag Android users down to the same level of lackwit banality.

(I bet they already have, haven't they...)

19. Eradicate all BB entrants

It might be worth .....

........ the $666 to have an input to its exact design, then have the Samsung logo added to the front of his polo-neck sweater.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd pay $666 ...

as long as my "input into the exact design and construction of the statue" could be "Let's make it out of highly-preserved bullcrap."

Oh, and it should have rounded corners. There, now I'm a design genius too!

1. Darryl

Re: I'd pay $666 ...

And don't forget, it has to be two dimensional... 3D is out at Apple

2. His Royal Yodaship
        Trollface

Re: I'd pay $666 ...

No no no, it would be more appropriate if Samsung actually made the statue

20. Fihart

Ego from beyond the grave...

As if Jobs wasn't enough of an egomaniac in life.

What next, statue commemorating Steve 8allmer's career death?

1. Haku
      Coat

Re: Ego from beyond the grave...

Just look at any outdoor cafe and you'l see lots of statues commemorating Steve Ballmer's career death - throwable chairs...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pose

I hope they go for Jobs in the definitive 'how to hold an iPhone so you can actually talk on it' stance - just so future generations will know how to do it.

22. Neil Barnes Silver badge

We've got lots of statues over here

Mostly of Queen Victoria, going slightly green about the nose after a hundred years or so in the rain.

Perhaps a cash-strapped local authority could be persuaded to part with one?

23. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

$50k for a life size statue of the man, but how much one of his ego?

That will need several extra zeros I think.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm.

Can we have another option - donate to something more worthwhile, like the society of paint drying watchers or the exclusive...

If I cannot think of a worse way to waste money (other than actually buying the iShit stuff itself..)

25. Spoonsinger

Angle of the North cost £800,000 and....

is only 65 feet high.

1. smartypants
      Pint

Re: Angle of the North cost £800,000 and....

How much per degree does that work out at...?

1. Spoonsinger

Re: How much per degree does that work out at...?

LOL. You have a point :-)

Man is only 90% water, but On The Hour is 100% news..

2. Callam McMillan
        Pint

Re: Angle of the North cost £800,000 and....

"How much per degree does that work out at...?"

Not enough to do a 180 and go to the pub obviously!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did Everyone Have A Good Christmas?

Must be April 1st already

27. C 18
    IT Angle

At least...

...it'll create the potential for a comical re-enactment of the toppling of Saddam's statue when the Iraqi regime was overthrownrebranded, when the United Empire of America is itself rebranded as The People's Democratic Annex of Glorious China.

28. C 18
    Childcatcher

And on another slightly less frivolous point...

Isn't Jobs, or wasn't he, reknowned for being a bit of a bully?

In fact, anecdotal evidence would suggest that he was a right c*nt of one. Shouldn't we think of the children and NOT celebrate bullying, you know... Given the stories in the meeja and all...

29. kmac499
    Happy

And my CrowdSource is for

A 20 foot high robo pigeon, fully functional of course, based on the latest drone technology (we'll leave out the Apple maps for guidance)

Remember theT-Shirt

Some days you're the pigeon some days you're the statue..

If the statue doesn't get built can i keep the pigeon money...

30. Vociferous

Bronze? When did Jobs ever design anything bronze?

Clearly the statue should be made of white plastic.

31. smartypants

If they don't raise enough money...

...they could make a half size one.

It could be called the iSteve mini, and show him comfortably using an Ipad mini without needing to file his fingers down.

32. Dr. G. Freeman

Think It's a good idea.

Maybe have a few more illuminaries, maybe say ten of them.

And place them in a triangular formation.

Find a large enough rock to roll down at them.

Woo-hoo Mega-size ten pin bowling. !

(What I having coffee withdrawl...Damn decaff in the machine)

33. RainForestGuppy
    Flame

Surely, to reflect Steve Jobs and Apple what they should do is copy the Statue of Liberty, put Steve Jobs face on it and then demand that the real one is torn down due to copyright infringement.

Truth, Justice and the Apple way

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

W O W. Some nob designs a medicore phone/tablet and gets immortalised.

An Sung Lee, and 1000's of other worthy of note receive no such.

If you support this, your internal compass is severly skewed!

1. Vociferous

> Some nob designs a medicore phone/tablet and gets immortalised

Oh it's better than that: the "medicore nob" didn't design anything, or invent anything. He OK'd or turned down the designs presented to him, and gave input on marketing.

35. graeme leggett Silver badge

photoshop opportunity

For Jobs visage - in faded bronze, or bright marble - superimposed on examples of statuary across the ages

Nelson's column - really, I do not see any problem with the antenna

Venus de Milo - you're (not) holding it wrong

Michelangelo's David - ?

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And lo, Steve Jobs did return from the heights of Mt. Cupertino, bearing TWO TABLETS... OK, well, ONE TABLET...

37. Ace Rimmer

"Steve Jobs put the emphasis on innovation and creating what has never been created stealing other's ideas, repackaging them and flogging them at a massively inflated price to gullible fools"

There, I fixed it for you.

38. miket82

God, my a****

This for a man who thought he could beat the system by funny quackery and was wowed when it all went fruit shaped and ended up beaten by a higher and more intelligent being who had the nerve not to agree with him. No doubt visitors will charged outrageous fees for viewing and patents will be applied for for the rights to erect statues. Oh, provided you have paid for the right to have eyes that work. Who threw that curve? Sorry patent not applied for, scrap that.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple

Leave big Jobs in the park, while hoping Samsung won't clean up after him.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like