back to article Attention, addicts: LEGO meth lab pays homage to Breaking Bad

Fans of Lego and TV series Breaking Bad can now put together their very own miniature methamphetamine lab, assuming they've got pretty deep pockets. The Lego Breaking Bad lab with figures The Citizen Brick "Superlab Playset" features 500 pieces and three minifigs, designed to offer solace to those "bummed out" that Breaking …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Custard

Addictive stuff isn't it?

Lego that is...

2. Baumanis
    WTF?

Lego taught me a lot when I was 10. Don't think my parents would've been too happy if it was about arranging a meth lab though.

1. Steven Roper

I remember seeing parody ads for "Crackwhore Barbie" back in the 90s, in MAD magazine or some similar publication I think. I had no idea companies would ever start selling toys that promote criminal activity for real though!

I mean, in an age when kids are expelled for merely hugging each other in school, how the bloody hell is Lego getting away with this without a massive media/do-gooder shitstorm in the offing? It just shows the extent to which the media controls public reactions to these things, doesn't it?

1. JCitizen
        Big Brother

Precisely

Because one must analyse just what intent a "do gooder" really has!

2. Octopoid

In the interest of fairness

I think I should just point out that LEGO aren't "getting away with" anything - this is made by a third party, not LEGO..

(Of course it's all 100% compatible and some of it may well be modified original LEGO bricks. Not sure about the legality of all that, but plenty of companies seem to be doing it!)

3. The last doughnut
    Go

Speedboat

I still want to build a speedboat and I don't think this lot will help. Oh hang on ..

4. Chris G

Is it Fully Functional?

It should explode and burst into flames at any time and for no obvious reason if it is reasonably authentic!

All of mine did!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Re: Is it Fully Functional?

Or it should come with three fire trucks, two ambulances and six+ police cars... well, that's what the meth lab around the corner got last year. And it didn't even explode (yes, I was disappointed.)

2. S4qFBxkFFg
      Flame

Re: Is it Fully Functional?

Meth labs or lego models?

Either way, you were doing it wrong.

5. Anomalous Cowshed

other potential money spinners

A lego eavesdropping facility to monitor the e-mails of playmobil citizens.

A lego third world sweatshop, available in Apple and Android versions as an educational accessory to your mobile phone.

A lego Guantanamo(r)(tm) water boarding facility - design reproduced under license from US DHS (no relation to UK DHSS)

A lego Amsterdam coffee house complete with massive joints.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Coat

Re: other potential money spinners

"US DHS (no relation to UK DHSS)"

I wouldn't go as far as stating that as a fact, especially these days.

1. Anomalous Cowshed

Re: other potential money spinners

Very funny! +1 from me!

6. lansalot

wow..

$250 ???

There's only one way to get that kind of money...

*starts cooking*

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: wow..

A bake sale?.....

2. Jeff 11

Re: wow..

I was thinking Heisenburglary...

7. Tom Servo
    Flame

instant fail

The barrels aren't big enough to fit a dismembered lego person in.

If there's one thing Breaking Bad has taught me, it's that any of life's problems can be solved by sealing it/them in a barrel of hydrochloric acid.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: instant fail

PEDANT

hydrofluoric acid

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

I've never seen the show, but they're using hydroFLUORIC acid?

I'd have thought HCl was a much safer bet for their *own* sakes- HF is not only more dangerous in the way that it burns, but it's also very poisonous. You don't want to spill HCl on yourself, but you really, really, *really* don't want to spill HF on yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid#Health_and_safety

(Disclaimer: I Am Not A Chemist)

1. JCitizen
          Holmes

The crooks really - really - really - want total annihilation of the corpse. I don't think they are concerned for personal safety as much as reliable destruction of evidence that will assuredly put them away for a long time!

3. Ian Yates
      Boffin

Hydrofluoric acid

1. WonkoTheSane

Even HF isn't capable of dissolving through a bathtub & floor.

Mythbusters this week was a Breaking Bad special.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

BBC coverage

BBC says: not universal solvent, but, close. The body-in-the-bath incident is discussed.

"How much of the science in Breaking Bad is real?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23710654

If this mad-scientist-meets-jackass stuff counts as "science" or "real".

2. Piro Silver badge

But the piranha solution they used (most likely) was seriously capable.

I reckon if they drained the sludge and put it in fresh and let it sit, it would attack the fiberglass tub.

1. Hud Dunlap
            Facepalm

Re: instant fail Sulfuric acid and 50% Hydrogen Peroxide.

AKA Piranha. I used to use it when I had a different job in the Semiconductor industry. It gets very hot and will destroy anything organic. It was used to clean the wafers before certain steps.

By accident one day a worker mixed Hydrofluoric acid with 50% Hydrogen Peroxide instead of Hydrochloric acid. It attacked the ceramic bath but didn't eat through.

How did he mix them up? He didn't speak or read English and grabbed the wrong bottles.

8. JonP
    FAIL

Only three minifigs?!

After a cursory glance looks like Walt, Gus & Mike - No Jesse then?!?!

See icon.

9. Tom 260

Considering the fuss there was over the LEGO Bank Robbery, I'm sure the Daily Fail and others will practically implode a the idea of a LEGO Meth Lab... never mind that it's not actually made by LEGO.

1. philbo

Well, if it makes Dacre spontaneously combust, that'll be a result.

They really need to tare their scales, though: nothing on, and they're showing 201.8 (what, kilos???)

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Not all that impressive

It seems to me that the Bricking Bad version is better.

11. Deuteronopia

I AM THE ONE WHO BLOCKS

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

Seems like these days everybodies crystal meffin'

But honestly, who would do a drug there parents were taking?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grrrrrr!!

This tech geek infatuation with Breaking Bad, a stupid TV show (several other "tech" sites have featured Breaking Bad-oriented stories this week as well) only makes me want to biatch smack the living crap out of you all.

It's a TV show. A TV show about criminals. A TV show that, apparently, hits the geekdom core center of wanting to be a "bad boy" but you're all just too damn lazy to drop the Wii controller and the bag of crisps and get your fat overweight butts out and live a real damn life.

They have a cure for lives like yours: it's shiny, lead and (hopefully) copper-tipped.

1. Kane
      Trollface

Re: Grrrrrr!!

umadbro?

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

"but you're all just too damn lazy to drop the Wii controller and the bag of crisps and get your fat overweight butts out and live a real damn life."

You've inspired me to put something down I haven't heard since I was about 5 years old..

I know you are, I said you are, but what am I?

There, that should be about your level.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This high-minded backlash against Breaking Bad and the fans thereof is befuddling to me.

It's a TV show. A fictional TV show. A TV show that, apparently, hits the holier-than-thou core center of worrying that the rest of society will go out and emulate what they see on the television, causing the rapid downward spiral of society.

Ironic that a rant against fans of a TV show ostensibly promoted by the criminal nature of said show includes references to a desire to promote assault and murder.

1. Dave 126

A show about criminals...

much like a good number of Shakespeare's works, then - a fair bit of murder and other dodgy things occur in his plays.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Applied violence?

Biatch slapping you is barely an assault. Especially when you deserve it.

I'm recommending suicide - taking any time to kill you is simply wasted time. Especially when you should simply do it yourself.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Applied violence?

Ok guys, that's enough. We're talking about a Lego meth lab set here. This is not YouTube.

4. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I'll tell you why I like the show

And it's nothing to do with wanting to be a "Bad Boy".

It's the ultimate deconstruction of American exceptionalism - the idea that people who are white and middle class can do terrible things and still be the good guys - the "I am not a criminal" thing.

OK I get that some people won't get that the show is essentially a morality tale - there's always people who end up identifying with the bad guys if the presented as anything more than cardboard cutouts. But you get that Walter White isn't a good guy. Try giving the fans of the show credit for realising that too.

And yes, the geek appeal of the show comes from the protagonist been one of us. But so are the Master and Lex Luthor - doesn't mean we don't get that they're villains.

Oh and while the underground meth lab is nice and super-villainy I think I'll wait for the Hot Wheels RV version.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Wow! Not sure how I feel about Lego making a meth lab playset, but ok

Great TV series, not sure it should be immortalized in Lego bricks :)

1. Dave 126
      Flame

Re: Wow! Not sure how I feel about Lego making a meth lab playset, but ok

> not sure it should be immortalized in Lego bricks :)

Neither is LEGO the company, which is why these pieces are printed by a third-party company. They also offer LEGO military figures, LEGO bongs (to the scale of LEGO mini-figures, so non-functional obviously), LEGO zombies and tiles that resemble this {>} and other Reg-like cons.

15. Locky

Forget Breaking Bad

We need Ghostbusters - http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/8058

16. rcorrect
    Boffin

Smile!

Let's see those Lego teeth of yours!

17. RetroTom

fly?

does it come with a Lego fly? I can't see one..

18. Mr Young
    Coffee/keyboard

The CCTV camera really gets me!

Why is that funny?

19. John Tserkezis

When the coppers come knocking asking to see your meth lab....

Forgive them if they appear a little dissapointed...

This topic is closed for new posts.