back to article YouTube app returns to Windows Phone

Microsoft has released another YouTube app into the Windows Phone store. The release of an app may not seem noteworthy, save for the fact that back in May Google prepared a flaming sueball and threatened to heft it in Redmond's direction because its previous app allowed users to download videos and didn't play nicely with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain DaFt

Toldja so!

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/2/2013/01/03/microsoft_claims_google_undermining_winphone/#c_1678361

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Following that link

the most impressive thing I saw in the comments was the blind loyalty expressed by someone calling himself "Mike".

Brings a tear to the eye, it does.

3. leeCh

Just get one of the multitude of other YouTube Apps

Like the one from esunoka - the free one turns up at the top of the list, and works really well.

4. Mikel

And then it is blocked

The app stopped working shortly after this article was published. Their Youtube API key is blocked.

1. Mikel

Re: And then it is blocked

I suppose the wizard who thumbed me down for delivering breaking news isn't going to come back and reverse it. Sigh.

5. El Andy

It was working fine when I downloaded it yesterday, now not so much. I suppose this is what happens when you rely on the chocolate factory to provide a stable and functioning API.

1. Big_Ted
      Facepalm

Its not Google but MS who get it wrong, others seem to have no problem making a working app.

1. El Andy

The API key appears to have been revoked right after launch. Only Google can have done that. So it's either incompetence or a deliberately malicious act on their part.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really?

I've never had any trouble watching (Google's) YouTube on either of my (Googly) Android devices. Funny how the API is stable and functioning for Android devices, yet the same API is supposedly unstable and non-functioning for Windows devices (except the PC of course, where it works just fine).

Maybe Microsoft should learn how to code.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Microsoft and the Google API ..

"That threat came after Microsoft threatened to fling sueballs at Google for blocking access to some APIs"

More likely Google blocked the APIs because of the Microsoft antitrust complaint against Google in Europe and the Fairsearch issue and the scroogled campaign and the ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft and the Google API ..

If Google were found to have revoked access to an API because to a customer because they had made legitimate complaints about their business practices it would go down very badly in court. Especially if those complaints were regarding anti-trust and using your defacto monopoly to bar access to competitors.

7. Big-nosed Pengie

The unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable

Oscar Wilde

8. Phoenix50

"Vulture South lacks a Windows Phone with which to test the app, which may be a good thing"

No, it isn't - don't write an article about something you have no way of corroborating yourselves.

1. Arctic fox
      Headmaster

Pardon?

""Vulture South lacks a Windows Phone with which to test the app, which may be a good thing"

Let me see now, Blighty's leading tech journal practically boasts about not having access to a mob which would enable them to check this story for themselves. Sorry guys, that is not precisely impressive.

9. Great Bu

Good fortune smiles upon me.

I have downloaded the new YouTube app onto my Lumia 710 running WP 7.8 and it completely fails to play any videos at all.

On the good side, though, xHamster's mobile site does not use YouTube to host any of it's streaming content, so none of my mobile video streaming activiy is affected......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good fortune smiles upon me.

It dies on my 820 running wp8, nothing shows except an error message saying "something went wrong, we don't know what".

1. Arctic fox
        Unhappy

Re: Good fortune smiles upon me.

I have just tried it on my Lumia 820. It fails to play anything at all. Someone is taking the piss and (for once) I do not think it is Redmond.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People own Windows Phones?

I thought that was going the way of the RIM...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: People own Windows Phones?

Well it looks like Google are taking it seriously, otherwise what reason would there be to bar access to You Tube?

11. Ryan 7

The banned May 2013 version, which was still working earlier this week, is now kaput.

Google probably wanted to revoke the banned version's key, thinking that now there will be less bad PR because of an adequate replacement — but silly Microsoft reused the key in the new version.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YouTube app returns to the windows phone... With a return ticket... Microsoft deserves the treatment :-)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's not playing videos then the app should be renamed to NoToube.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like