back to article People say Google will buy Skype and Expedia and, and, and, and

If you believe the rumor mill, Google is on the verge of gobbling both Skype and Expedia. On Tuesday, Michael TechCrunch Arrington decided that the world's largest search engine had an eye on Skype - which hasn't exactly meshed with eBay - and apparently, this was not an April Fools joke. "Something big is brewing between …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ed
    Stop

Google & eBay

Google & Ebay don't exactly get on - eBay won't allow Google Checkout as a payment method for example...

2. W

MS?

So the Microsoft link has been completely severed then?

Interesting that the company should end up as a potential target for the G.

Seems that more and more, Google is more inclined to purchase existing companies than develop in-house from scratch. A tactic with varying degrees of success. But whether they end up as market leader in the sector or otherwise, integration is normally done pretty well.

3. Repo
    Paris Hilton

We need Google...

... to shaft eBay ASAP :p

4. Chris Myers

Not so bad...

I've been pretty happy with the Google projects I've seen get picked up rather than built from scratch. I can't even get into how great it would be to roll Google Talk and Skype into one. Chocolate in my peanut butter territory.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Oh well...

At least while ebay owned skype there was a chance it's communications were private.

If Google is buying it the first thing they'll probably do is add a back-door for the US government.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google treats tech well

That's really the secret of their success, they will just brain drain the best tech in the market to them.

They have been ramping up over the last few years and have most of the major players, they will just keep diversifying whilst sitting atop of the cash cow of web advertising.

They are probably looking to get a couple more cash cow streams in appear to be willing to roll the dice to get them, and then milk it all the way.

Say what you like about Google but it does look like a great company to work with. Other tech companies really need to buck their ideas up if they wish to compete, but I suspect that the better tech in the companies secretly pray for a Google buy out.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Here we go....

So I guess that's it then, Google is going to rule the world.

Not that it probably won't be a good thing, I mean they do have the slogan 'do no evil' ;).

But seriously, did anyone ever think in the early days of google that we were seeing our individuality slowly getting taken away and that such a thing as anonymity was quickly evaporating.

With the links between government and corporation growing closer everyday and the possibility of a one world government being created seems less crazy every second.

Do we want this? Do we need this? Did we ask for this?

I don't know, but...

Our apathetic attitudes to change are going to be the seeds that sow our inevitable future - one of control and corporate rule.

I, for one, welcome our new 'internet' overlords, maybe they can give me a job when every other company/government folds.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Latest Rumour...

...is that Google will buy Spot:

"SPOT is the only device of its kind, using the GPS satellite network to acquire its coordinates, and then sending its location – with a link to Google Maps™ – and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network."

(http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx)

Suggestions that the service will be renamed G Spot have not been confirmed.

9. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

and, and, and ...... Bullshit

it's the same morons that make up Apple BS rumors that never come true.

10. joe
    Coat

Re: Here we go....

Zorg industries comes to mind ;-) Fire a million!!!!

Better put on my Gary Oldman hat to protect my brain from the satellite eating black planetoid heading this way. Where are the stones?

11. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Gates Halo

Shafting

Google gives Ebay a well deserved shafting. Who shafts Google? They believe they're big enough that they can be a huge conduit for crime, offer zero customer service, and suffer zero consequences. I'm glad they didn't win the C block of radio bandwidth. Google would have built the coolest WiFi system ever then abandoned it to spammers, illegal telemarketers, and phishers. Take a look at Google Groups or GMail.

They still have big plans to destroy TV by using what they claim is unused bandwidth.

Bill icon, because he does no wrong as Google does no evil.

12. fluffels
    Paris Hilton

hmmm...

Well, if they're going to take Skype away form eBay, they better take PayPal too.

I wouldn't be able to stand Skype without the auto payments through PayPal. Brilliance. :)

Paris, because everyone's taken her.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Google and eBay

bagel anyone? (Baygle)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hasn't skype stopped taking Paypal?

Use to be auto debit on paypal, now its not offered as an option.

15. W
    Paris Hilton

Re: Shafting

"Take a look at Google Groups or GMail".

Well after looking at my inbox, Gmail has managed to intercept 1282 spam messages in the last 30 days. I virtually never hear of mail going missing and approximately one (1!) spam message gets through the filter. Pretty good detection rate, I'd say. Granted, it'd be nice if they could do a little more to stop it in the first place.

You've gotta remember that Google are one of the most scrutinised companies out there. BT/Phorm have had an infinitely easier ride in comparison (until now). They can only get away with so much and their user base is entirely free to choose another service at the drop of a hat. If enough people change their default search engine, Google is hit hard.

That's not quite true for BT (or MS, Apple or a number of other companies that enforce a lock-in of any kind). Granted there's cable/Linux. But it's a damn site more expensive and/or time consuming to change from BT lanline to cable (if it's at all possible) or to change OS compared to simply switching to one of Google's rivals.

E.g. I use Live Maps quite often because it shows train stations. And I'm free to do so, even though I use Google Search and Gmail. I use del.icio.us instead of Google bookmarks because it fits my needs better.

Privacy-wise, Google just can't afford to screw up or there'll be outrage. It's tough at the top and the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Next up... Amazon? It'd be a hefty trojan horse for G Checkout, but they could tie it into Orkut and Books (and maybe eventually Video (for sales)/YouTube(for previews)) in the same way that they'll presumably tie Expedia into Maps.

If they do indulge in these tie-ins, they need to be extremely cautious of straying into the incestuous eBay/PayPal territory of gradual exclusion of all external parties to the detriment of the service.

Ms Hilton can't decide if she trusts Google or not.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Google just contacted me

Happy coincidence, this morning I had an e-mail from google HR asking for my resume and wanting to tell me about their job opportunities. Looks like this might be worth checking up...

(I work for a major telco, but this could just be another coincidence)

Either that, or it's a very elaborate scam to know what school I attended.

AC, because, well, obvious really.

17. W

Interestingly...

I was looking into something else entirely and the following paragraph popped up:

"Consumers and Regulation

David Byrne, the former European Commissioner for Health and Consumer

Protection described consumer policy as follows:

Consumer policy is one of the key means to achieving growth and

competition, through consumer confidence and the creation of a level

playing field for consumers and businesses alike. In a well-functioning

market consumers who dislike a product will turn to another one,

punishing the producer who has not fulfilled their expectations, and

rewarding those who are in tune with their demands. This is what

increases competition, and competitiveness".

Also an interesting article ("The Stupid Company") about how businesses throw away money by alienating consumers: http://www.ncc.org.uk/nccpdf/poldocs/NCC110rr_stupid_company.pdf

18. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

"We report all this only to see if someone will read it and report it again"

I hope you realise somebody will post this story to Slashdot now, titled "Google buying Skype and Expedia this week". You're just doing this for the Slashdot effect on your advertising... ;-)

19. Damien Jorgensen
    Stop

Completly Wrong

Google should not be allowed to dominate the Internet like Microsoft dominated the desktop software market in the 90's.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Do Evil

Lets see...

Advertising Company buys VOIP Phone company......

Can any one see any problems....No?

Ring, Ring (3am)

Hi I'm calling it from Big Daves Sex Shop, We noticed that you have been surfing for Hot lesbo Action and wondered if you are intrested in our latest range.....

Thank god I use proper VoIP.......

21. Joseph Zygnerski
    Coat

Re: Here we go....

"So I guess that's it then, Google is going to rule the world."

I, for one, welcome our new googley overlords.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Elvis spoted at Google Works

there is a rumour that Elvis works for Google....

23. Matty B
    Coat

No Mr Bond, I expect you to die...

Well, it seems more and more likely every day that indeed Google is trying to take over the world. If I may cite a report from a while ago... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/08/you_only_search_twice/ See! we've know for a long time they're trying it, having Skype under thier control just helps them...

I'm not crazy, just wait. But when we're digging in thier off-world money mines, I want you to know I called it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like