back to article Norway BANS Apple from Oslo's skies: No aerial Maps app snaps allowed

Apple has been denied permission to take aerial photographs of Oslo to create 3D images of the Norwegian capital for its Maps app – even though the US embassy has appealed to the Scandinavian nation's government to reconsider. The fruity firm has been stymied by the Norwegian government, local media is reporting, because of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't see the issue. Any terrorists using Apple Maps to find the "intelligence services headquarters on Lake Lutvann near Oslo" will end up in the middle of the lake.

Problem solved.

2. Code Monkey

Silly Norwegian government

This is a perfectly sensible decision ... if you ignore Streetview.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We don't want it - It's our choice.

""We do not want it to be shooting with such a high degree of precision that can be used to identify areas that need special shielding," acting director Øyvind Mandt of the Norwegian National Security Authority (Nasjonal sikkerhetsmyndighet; NSM) told newspaper Aftenposten (translated by Google Translate)."

... adding "We do not want our cities to start looking like those in the United States nor do we want to adopt a climate of fear..."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How are we going to "See the løveli lakes" now?

1. Irony Deficient

Anonymous Coward of 15:52 GMT, you’ll just have to make do with a Norwegian film marathon instead — say, The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist, Fillings of Passion, The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink, …

2. Rukario
      Joke

So have both løver and fjelløver been banned?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Jag fjelløver och nix gytuppen?

5. ratfox
    Facepalm

Wow

This is a particularly good attempt at security through obscurity. Thankfully the terrorists are now stumped, since there is no other way they could obtain pictures of the place.

1. James 47
      Stop

Re: Wow

"security through obscurity"

one of the most overused phrases in IT.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The push button pin lock between some secure areas of an airport or into the back office of a post office are security through obscurity and work better than having an open door. Could even a semi-determined no-gooder see the code or get through? Yes, but it's all about risk/reward for that endeavour.

Terrorists, generally aren't mastermind criminals with access to high tech or even aircraft (obvious exceptions) they are quite often radicalised teenagers who have access to the internet and therefore simply fertiliser bomb recipes.

I'm sure no-one wants to give them easy access to see that unguarded air-vent that a carefully thrown grenade could cause damage. Yes it could be stopped by putting massive security shields everywhere but the government obviously don't want to do that.

Even the death star had a critical flaw that a small design change would've stopped but it needed the stealing of the plans for it to find it.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Actually Norway isn't on a 1 Euro, which makes sense when you think about it. It's not an EU member state, so why would it appear on the currency?

1. MondoMan
            Trollface

Terrorists rejoice! Norway now IS on Euro coins!

Apparently due to anonymous complaints from potential terrorists, Euro coins minted from 2007 onward have a full map of Europe including Norway on their obverse.

2. Cpt Blue Bear
        FAIL

That word you keep using...

I don't think you understand what security through obscurity means. Having a lock on a door relies on a shared secret (the key). Security through obscurity would be relying on only authorised people knowing to push the buttons.

Secondly, the Death Star was a fictional and it's flaw was a required plot device.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They might have to send an agent to do it. That activity on the ground might be picked up by Echelon/Prism/some other Sigint/James bleeding Bond....

or not.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

this is Norway? who on earth is going to going to Norway to commit terrorist acts? the only danger they are in is from other Norwegians, and they can just go and look at the government buildings in person if they want.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: But...

who on earth is going to going to Norway to commit terrorist acts?

If you have to ask this question, the terrorists have already won.

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: But...

Wiki lists two incidents. Breivik in 2011 and four "men" attacking an Oslo synagogue in 2006.

So there you go.

There were more but Breivik's ubiquity on the interwebs makes them difficult to dig up.

7. Arctic fox
    WTF?

"Hold øynene av våre premie, Tim Cook" I do beg your pardon?

"Keep your eyes off our prize, Tim Cook"? Oh and no, having lived here since 98 I did not need to use Google translate for that. I realise that I may have completely missed the point of something seriously witty from El Reg's subbies but if I have could someone explain it to me please? Otherwise I will have to assume that Vulture Central is placing too much trust in Mountain View's translations.

1. Vociferous

Re: "Hold øynene av våre premie, Tim Cook" I do beg your pardon?

I'm guessing something was lost in google translation.

1. Arctic fox
        Happy

@Vociferous Re: "Hold øynene av våre premie, Tim Cook" I do beg your pardon?

"'I'm guessing something was lost in google translation." Indeed, either that or my sense of humour needs an upgrade!

:)

AF.

2. Trygve Henriksen

Re: "Hold øynene av våre premie, Tim Cook" I do beg your pardon?

Having mangled the Norwegian language(actually, we have two variants of written Norwegian) for a lifetime I can say with a good degree of certainty that a line like that would make any teacher cry...

@Tim, I'd smack you with a cod, if I could...

Your punishment will therefore be to watch this video on replay for 2 Hours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijk8GQZP1pA

1. Arctic fox
        Happy

@Trygve Henriksen Re:"Your punishment will therefore be to watch this video...."

Far too kind old chap. He should be forced to eat rakfisk and lutefisk every day for a month. As to the two written forms of the language I can only say that having seen what he has done with Bokmål I shudder to think what crimes he would commit against Nynorsk.

1. Trygve Henriksen

Re: @Arctic Fox; regarding Lutefisk

I wouldn't do that to even my worst enemy...

Dunking a person in lime to get rid of the evidence... sure... I'm a BOFH after all...

Dunking a live person in lime... well... depends on who...

Dunking good fish in lime? Never!

8. andreas koch
    Coffee/keyboard

Apple asked for permission first?

Wow.

Just WOW.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If Apple wants to photograph Oslo

Their iPhone will probably direct them to Stockholm.

1. Vociferous

Re: If Apple wants to photograph Oslo

...where they will have their balls bitten off by the swarms of escaped giant nut-eating piranhas.

1. Rukario
        FAIL

Re: If Apple wants to photograph Oslo

More like Copenhagen.

The last Cupertinian I spoke with (just someone from Cupertino, who has nothing to do with Apple) thought Oslo was in Denmark.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I doubt they want another US company/NSA feed infiltrating any more than they have already.

I cannot blame them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

NSA

"I doubt they want another US company/NSA feed infiltrating any more than they have already."

Yeah, because there's no such thing as American (and Russian, and Chinese too, I think) reconnaissance satellites.

11. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Must be an Apple thing...

Needs WebGL browser, but Here/Nokia already has Oslo in 3D:

http://here.com/59.9123905,10.7458494,18.09,0,75,3d.day

1. This post has been deleted by its author

12. tkioz

I wonder how the yanks would feel if some Russian or Chinese company wanted to take high res photos of their capitols...

13. graeme leggett Silver badge

Id like to think the US embassy would offer its support to any American company trying to win over a foreign government.

would i be wrong?

14. Gene Cash Silver badge

The US just does the censorship afterwards

Last I looked on Google & Bing maps, the roof of the White House and other important buildings was a uniform shade of white with no details.

1. Don Jefe

Re: The US just does the censorship afterwards

I think obscuring the tops of those building is hilarious. You can see the guard shack on top of the White House and the Capitol Building from the street, and if you were really serious you could just zoom in on the footage from the traffic helicopter. Hell, if you're taking a commuter flight to New York or Boston from Reagan National you can just look out the window and see the roofs of those buildings.

15. heyrick Silver badge

An important question

"asking her to reconsider her decision to block the aerial photography – especially since Apple had secured permission from other Western capitals."

Was the permission from other capitals granted before or after the world knew the name "Snowden"? Maybe now is not the right time to be asking...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like