back to article Mother of Chelyabinsk spotted

Spanish astronomers looking for the origins of the meteor that came scarily-close to the Russian city of Chelyabinsk last February believe they've spotted a cluster of as many as 20 objects that are possible candidates. The Chelyabinsk superbolide, which damaged buildings, caused injuries on the ground and gave rise to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

Where's VHI when you need them.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Meh

In summary...

"We may have found its origin, or we may have not"

3. Graham Marsden
    Alien

*$#£+!

Translation: Damn, we've been rumbled! Quick, lads, chuck a few more rocks at them before they figure out how to deal with our attack!

1. Greg J Preece

Re: *$#£+!

Wonder if they found any incinerated bugs on that asteroid...

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: *$#£+!

"Wonder if they found any incinerated bugs on that asteroid..."

Don't know about that, but I recall a Russian politician who blamed the US for the bolide.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Wait a minute

How can they possibly know that the original object got whacked between 20 and 40 thousand years ago ?

I'm curious. These objects are in space, and we haven't gotten near them. The one object that we did get near to got scorched by reentry. Is there enough data left to determine that interval in a single, earth-atmosphere-burned chunk of space rock ?

1. amanfromearth

Re: Wait a minute

Presumably by projecting their orbits backwards in an anti-extrapolary way to fix the moment when they were all in the same place.

1. Don Jefe
        Thumb Up

Anti-extrapolary, I like that term.

1. Benchops

Me too, although extrapolation can be at both ends.

How about ante-extrapolary?

2. Greg J Preece

Maths. Lots and lots of maths. We've plotted the orbits of many trans-Neptunian objects (including the not-planet Pluto) despite not having known about them long enough to have observed anything like their full orbits. We just plug what we do know into our gravitational models of the star system and let the computer do the rest.

Over-simplifying, naturally.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like