back to article Amazon to ship Android-based gaming console by year's end?

Online mega-retailer Amazon may be planning to release an Android-based gaming console by the end of the year, if rumors prove correct. Citing "those ... who have knowledge of the in-development hardware," Game Informer claims Bezos & Co. may be readying the device to ship by "Black Friday" – the day after the US Thanksgiving …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well at least if it's Linux / Android based it will have so many holes it will be hacked for free play as soon as it's released...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, Amazon in silicon valley have been hiring Linux/Android engineers faster than Usain Bolt -so something's up...

3. Tom 35

Not Microsoft or Sony

More like a new Wii

Make it cheap, have some simple fun games. If it can stream Amazon content too, bonus.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've got an Android-based gaming console. It came with a built-in screen that's the same resolution as my TV, and the speakers are almost as good. It's called a Galaxy Note 2. :P

1. Robert Forsyth

Amazon could use razor blade model and sell it at discount so long as you can only play games from its store or using its services, etc.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's hope it's got Google Play on it.

As the woeful state of the Amazon app store mean it would otherwise be an avoid.... I have seen how bad the app store is on a friends Kindle Fire he is desperate to offload.

6. mark l 2 Silver badge

If your an Android dev it may be a good time to start making Android games that can be controlled with Joypad etc and don't just rely on touch screen to operate them as its all well and good having Android consoles but if they expect you to be using a touch screen to play games they aren't going to work with a Joypad and a large TV

1. M Gale

^^^this

Android has had HID and games controller support since version 4. Why do so few games work well with it?

Running the tablet through an HDMI lead is pretty awesome. Just a shame that for most games I have to hold the thing like a Wii U controller and make sure I don't wobble the lead loose.

Even a 3rd party hack app that would make various button presses equate to pressing various parts of the screen would be a workable solution for some titles. Give the app the ability to create profiles for different titles, that auto-switch depending on what application ID is running in the foreground.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bought an OUYA

Sucks. In the time I paid money to pre-order and the delivery date, they changed their model from free, to try before you buy. When a credit card is needed during set-up of the box, you know it's just wrong.

I want VALVe's SteamBox for Christmas. Come on Gabe Newell! Let me play my bought Steam games on my own console. TAKE MY MONEY... just make sure it is Oculus Rift compatible!!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I bought an OUYA

You could stick your computer's guts in an HTPC case and already have all of that, you know.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like