back to article Veeam chases $1bn revenue dream as VC joins board

Veeam is looking more and more like the Data Domain of virtual server backup suppliers, announcing 100 per cent annual growth in second quarter bookings, boasting more than 73,000 customers and securing a new VC partnership to take it to the $1bn annual revenue level. That would mean, El Reg's storage desk thinks, passing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K

Great product..

Shame about the company! very difficult to work with.

1. Smoking Gun

Re: Great product..

Strange, I find Veeam very easy to deal with. Sales wise the Pro Partner portal is one of the easiest to navigate and I seem to be awash with contacts who are willing to help us drive sales in addition to a fairly broad and pool of resource in the distribution channel in the UK. Tech wise they have a tech forum with some very familiar names, Gostev who post regularly and responds quickly. I cannot comment on support but rarely hear a bad word from our techies, that said, the product just works.

If I had one bad word to say it's I hope Veeam don't get too big for their boots. They have stuck in a fairly hefty price increase at the start of the year and as one poster states licensing is not only about cores, but if you have more than 6+ cores which is common now you need to buy Band B (I think licensing) and pricing scales to boot. Plus to my knowledge you cannot mix and match.

Otherwise great to see them doing well.

2. Chris McEwam

The answer is simple.

Good Product that works how they say it works and relatively simple licencing model.

none of this Per Vm or buy this bit of you want that etc..

1. K

Not quite true

Their website states licensing is per socket - actually that is only 50% of the story, they also charge based upon cores.. while they don't seem to intentionally hide this, its not expressly shown in their literature.

1. Rpenny
        Thumb Up

Re: Not quite true

Check again...I think you'll find it is purely socket based licensing.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hi, actually the Veeam licensing changed recently to do away with Band A and Band B based on core-counts per CPU. Now's simply Band A per CPU. Should make for cheaper renewals too...

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Rpenny

False

Veeam is licensed solely on the number of sockets. Number of cores is irrelevant

1. K
      WTF?

Re: False

Hey rpenny

Check your facts - "We still license our products by the number of physical cpu just that now depending on the number of cores within the cpu,"

See this post - http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5705

Also A/C - I honestly wish that was the case, I was looking to renew and extend our Veeam licensing a couple of days ago and the quotes I was given were horrific, we've now decided not to renew and will be running with Unitrends. Fact is we have been Veeam customers for 4-5 years and were very happy with their product, but since we started using Veeam they are constantly increase the price and even added the tiered pricing.

As I said, great product, just a shame about the company.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

True

You are referring to 2 year old post. There are no cores in the current Veeam pricing, there are no reasons to argue hard facts...

1. K

Re: True

A/C - Its fine making such a statement, but please provide your hard facts? :)

As I said, I've been working with 3 different Veeam resellers over the past few weeks (Up until the end of July when we decided to jump ship for Unitrends). Also I can provide hard links to posts as recent as 2-3 months ago -

A post from just over 2 months ago - http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16658

A post from just over 3 months ago -http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16214

I'll be glad if Veeam have change their licensing.

1. Gostev
        Holmes

VP of Product Management for Veeam here... I can confirm that as of July 1st, 2013 Veeam no longer has tiered licensing that depend on CPU core count. Current licensing is strictly per socket. We've decided to make this change based on all the feedback from our users and partners, to reduce licensing complexity, and because modern CPUs have outgrown our first licensing tier anyway (buying a server with less than 8 core CPU quickly becomes a challenge these days). This change does translate into the reduced maintenance prices. Thank you.

1. K
          Thumb Up

Hi Gostev

Thanks for clarifying. Its a shame the resellers never brought this up, as I was happy Veeam customer and this might have brought Veeam within budget. Unfortunately we had the barrier you highlighted that most of our servers now have 16 to 32 cores and we've since purchased Unitrends.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like