back to article Cowon D2 premium digital media player

Time was when Asian digital media players scored highly for the range of features they offered but rated dismally when it came to their looks. Cheap-looking silver-painted plastic, too many buttons, crude on-screen graphics - it's no wonder the iPod's clean lines and simple UI took off... cowon d2 digital media player …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4GB SD cards already supported and SDHC coming

I have one of these and I can confirm 4GB SD card works fine. I picked mine up for £179.99 for a 4GB model with a 4GB SD CARD free (do a search on google for D2). That's 8GB!! which is still not the cheapest, but it's the most amazing player I've ever owned.

SDHC support for cards up to a theoretical 32GB is coming in the next month or so! You can pick up 8GB SDHC cards for about 45 pounds or so now!!

Mine came with a transcoding software called JetAudio VX that converts most videos down to the XVID/WMV format that the D2 takes and it looks fantastic.

Worth every penny!! Don't be put off by the price, this things beats the nano on every count and it looks the business.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FM Radio, TV OUT and you can record also ..

Oops... Forgot to mention that it has a FM Radio, TV OUT (via a special cable) and can record to MP3 (radio/or via line in/mic).. All the things NANO doesn't have! Google for "COWON D2" for the best price.

3. Crispin

Hmm, an audio player?

Quote - "Maybe better ears than mine will appreciate them more. Whatever, it's surely better to have such options to personalise the sound you hear than not."

I'm a little confused. Surely if you're reviewing an audio/visual device you should have confidence in your own hearing?! I'm no audiophile, but I would have thought that the primary quality of an audio player would be how it sounds. Yes, looks are important but with no commments on the quality of the headphones, general quality of the sound ( sorry, but 'I tried the D2 with a range of musical genres and enjoyed all of them' - doesn't really cut it as far as an audio critique), or anything other than a passing mention of a click when you turn on the bass enhancement, this is a pretty dire review. The one thing we're made very aware of is that it looks good. This is the one thing that we can see by looking at the pictures.

4. Sean Inglis

SDHC Support Source

As far as SDHC support is concerned, I've seen the same comment on Engadget. Is this the source for the information that support will be offered, or is there any "official" Cowon source?

5. Sean Inglis

YouTube reviews

For any other readers considering a D2, YouTube have a number of videos that explore the interface in a fair amount of detail.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FW 2.30 BETA with DRM10/SDHC out to testers

I have a D2 with a BETA 2.30 firmware for testing that has SDHC and DRM10 support.

It's got a couple of bugs that the COWON techs are working on, but I can confirm it works. It was released for review purposes and circulated to all testers about 2 weeks ago. COWON is usually very good with FW updates so they will release when they are sure it's ready and not before.

I have a D2 2GB with a 8GB SDHC card by Toshiba and I work for the UK Distributor.

For the person that wasn't happy with the review, check out the next edition of T3 and Stuff Magazine for the full low down on the player. First week of March for the April edition and it's in Group Test with other similar units.

7. Andy Ballard

SKy + onto Iaudio D2 ?

Hi,

would there be an easy way to get SKY + content onto a D2 ?. I know Sandisk do a Cardreader that writes to SD but what format would be needed ?.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like