back to article Tu Me to go: Tu Go to be Telefonica's 'NEXT BIG AMAZEBALLS' for voice

Telefonica's freebie VoIP platform Tu Me will be shuttered next month as the mobile network pushes customers towards, er, Tu Go. Tu Me came out of Jajah, the internet voice-call outfit Telefonica bought in 2009, but it was never intended to be more than a stepping stone towards a brave new future of telephony as a service. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Not yet for business

We asked about getting Tu Go on our business contract. We were told it's not being released to business customers until the middle of next year. It's only currently available on consumer contracts.

2. Guillermo Lo Coco

Mmm. This remmember "Telefonica-eMail & ADSL" marriage.

When you suscribe to TimofonicaADSL, they open you free email @telefonica.es accounts. (if not, they insist)

Once you try to switch ISP, you face loose your email accounts or keep paying one of the most expensive EU ADSL services.

This could be the same, once you switch to, three (for example), Will you loose Tu Go number? :-P

1. thesykes

No Tu Go number to lose. You install the app, register it and all calls/texts sent to your normal O2 number also come through to other devices (or the mobile itself).

The O2 coverage is terrible where I live, and I regularly have to hold conversation on my tablet, whilst my phone is sitting doing nothing.

Only problem I've found with Tu Go is that it is a battery killer.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

You can ask for a PAC code to port your O2 number to Three in the usual way. If you do that, it will stop working in TuGo, but maybe Three has a similar service that you can use with it.

3. dogged

Advertising z-listers

Can I recommend the Chuckle Brothers?

Almost certainly cheaper than Sean Bean.

1. edge_e
      Happy

Re: Advertising z-listers

Surely the name would need to change to "tu you" for that to work

4. ajexpbp

If your box is 64 bit forget it! Useless

5. Dr_N

Big Loss

Have been using TuMe for VOIP and texting over WiFi whilst roaming for a while.

Worked well and didn't get people pestering you as on Skype etc.

Had a nice share-location feature too.

TuGo could be useful, but only works on UK O2.

6. bed

Tu go or not Tu go

Tu Go will need to integrate with ones existing contacts and not expect the user to re-enter them if it expects to be a realistic atlternative or addition to GSM telephony, accepting that for those who have no UK O2 signal the inconveniencee may not deter - though I understand O2 do provide pico cells if requested.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Tu go or not Tu go

It does pick up my existing contacts on both my Android phone and iPad.

7. DJGM

Only seems to support Pay Monthly mobiles ... so it's of no use to me!

8. Phil A.
    FAIL

Great idea, crap execution

Tu Go seems like a great idea, but the software is a crock of shit: It constantly crashes for me on both iOS and Android and absolutely hammers the battery

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like