back to article Ofcom: Making a switch between ISPs will soon be much easier

Ofcom is bringing in new measures to finally make it much easier for broadband and landline customers in the UK to drop one telco in favour of another provider. In the past, subscribers were required to do loads of legwork to make the switch, which often meant they were much more reluctant to ditch their existing ISP – even if …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CADmonkey

Signed up for Force9 (now Plusnet) with my 9600 modem

They'ye not perfect, but they've never been broken enough to need fixing, so I'm still there.

Surely there's a message here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Signed up for Force9 (now Plusnet) with my 9600 modem

there's certainly one message: the annoyingness of an ISPs adverts do not necessarily correlate with their service. Plusnet, hugely annoying, but you seem to have had good experience. BT, hugely annoying, and I'm still waiting to find out whether they've got any better recently since hearing this some years ago:

How wonderful BT Broadband is, by Marcus

Thank $DEITY there are no meerkat ISPs out there yet.

1. WonkoTheSane

For the last few years Plusnet has been owned by BT. (That's why I left them).

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

I've never had too much problem getting a MAC from an ISP, except for a few years back, when we were getting ADSL through Bulldog.

Everything was going swimmingly, until one day, no more internet. So, I ring up Bulldog, only to find no answer on any of their phonelines. Hopping onto nextdoors un-passworded wireless we found that Bulldog had been bought by Cable and Wireless, who managed to screw up migrating a bunch of customers to their own network. We were left hanging, with no internet, and no way of migrating to another supplier.

The trouble was, our connection was still showing as belonging to Bulldog, who didn't exist any more, and C&W were basically useless, so we needed a MAC in order to switch, but no-one could give us that MAC. In the end it took OFCOM getting involved to get us a MAC so we could move to Be (who were great back then.)

2. Stephen 2

"In the past, subscribers were required to do loads of legwork to make the switch"

"Can I have my MAC?"

"Yes sir its XXXXXXXX"

"Hello new isp my mac is XXXXXXXX"

Not a lot of work.

1. billat29

Re: "In the past, subscribers were required to do loads of legwork to make the switch"

It took many phone calls for me to escape the clutches of Pipex (remember them?) and a week of no broadband. But that's ancient history.

Oh! "In the past". Have they just got round to fixing an historical problem which no longer exists because all the rubbish ISPs were bought by the majors?

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: "In the past, subscribers were required to do loads of legwork to make the switch"

Not a lot of work?

Balls....

IT took me THREE frigging months to get a MAC code out of my last ISP. They kepy saying, pay us £50 because you are breaking your contract. I never signed a contract with them. They took over the one that I did.

Eventually OFCOM stepped in and I got my MAC. I was then cut off instantly.

I guess they didn't want to let me go.

Thankfully they went bust a few months later.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't you mean:

"Can I have my MAC?"

"Nice weather for the time of year, sir"

"Can I have my MAC?"

"I see Arsenal won last Saturday"

"Can I have my MAC?"

"Sorry, the line's really bad, can you say that again?"

"Can I have my MAC?"

"Ooloolooloo-can't hear you-oolollolloll"

etc.

4. Michael Habel

Why would you need to call a Service Number to get charged a per-minute fee. Only to be told to....

Goto "Start" ->"Run" -> Enter "cmd" -> Press "OK"

From the DOSBox Promp... Enter: "ipconfig -all"

Phisical Address . . . . . . . . . : 'xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx' <- Is your MAC Address!!

1. Colin Miller

I assume you weren't trying to make a joke.

It's a completely different *meaning* of MAC. You want the Migration Authorization Code, not the Media Access Code of your computer.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Can I have my MAC?"

"Yes sir we'll email it over to you within 48 hours"

"You said you would send it over by yesterday"

"We will have to request a new code and send you a new email".

"But they last 30 days"

"We don't send over duplicate codes. Call back in 48 hours."

1. Danny 14

I must be in the minority. Never had any issue (home and work) with claranet, demon (twice, one a business line), bt, sky, plusnet,BE and easynet.

Phoned up, asked for mac, moved. All companies wanted to do a deal to stay but ive always moved for features (or a change in circumstance)

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

My experience of obtaining a MAC involved being on hold for over an hour on an 0845 number to be disconnected.

Not once, but several times.

If it was as easy as you make out, then Ofcom wouldn't have to get involved.

On top of that in this era of LLUs, MACs aren't relevant if the line's not a BT one. That's an added complication which needs to be sorted out.

3. Rab Sssss

and next week....

From ofcom SLAMMING MUST STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. An0n C0w4rd

Re: and next week....

FTA:

The regulator explained that telcos would need to keep records of any consent given confirming a switch to another provider.

Yeah, I don't think "keeping records" will really mean much. People, especially in telesales or door-to-door begging, will try and con people into saying "yes" any way they can. IMHO the best way to improve the current situation is to make ISPs give you your MAC code online and cut out the "valuable customer retention department" crap at your current ISP. Not perfect (since we all know website security is sometimes lacking), but a hell of a lot better than just trusting peoples record keeping to keep companies from slamming people.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: and next week....

"People, especially in telesales or door-to-door begging, will try and con people into saying "yes" any way they can."

Even when what was said was "NO. Fuck off and leave me alone"

4. WonkoTheSane
    Go

2015?

There's a slim chance I might have the option of fibre by then.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and meanwhile in Hull...

consumers can't switch because there's no other ISP and Ofsted couldn't care less. It's grim up North.

1. Gavin King
      Joke

Re: and meanwhile in Hull...

If you've got the Education Department looking after your internet, I'm not surprised it's grim!

1. Danny 14

Re: and meanwhile in Hull...

Cleo fallout? How restrictive are your LEA? We were all allowed to sort our own connections in cumbria so thats a start.

Edit: i saw the hull bit. Sorry for your monopoly woes :(

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easier to switch ISPs ..

"Ofcom is bringing in new measures to finally make it much easier for broadband and landline customers in the UK to drop one telco in favour of another provider."

Is there much of a difference, you get the same cables and the same switches at the local exchange, the only difference is who you pay your bill to.

7. William 3 Bronze badge

EU regulations on privacy?

Any chance OFCOM can tell the NSA and GCHQ to piss off because they are breaching EU regulations on Human Rights with regards to privacy?

No wonder the Tories want to get rid of the Human Rights acts.

Right up the US arse they are.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not gonna work for one major city.

Shame OFCOM still need a boot up the arse.

In the Kingston-upon Hull region, there is an unregulated monopoly called kingston communications

go to http://www.telecomsinhull.co.uk for information on why this monopoly is such bad news for the locals.

1. Ragarath
      Facepalm

Re: Not gonna work for one major city.

In the Kingston-upon Hull region, there is an unregulated monopoly called kingston communications

Sorry time for a bit of payback.

As all the townies and city goers keep telling us Country dwellers (in regards to fibre / broadband speeds) you do have an option. Move elsewhere, there it is in black and white.

Sorry if you are not one of these people but I just want to point out that

1. Danny 14
        FAIL

What a great idea! Lets move the schools, hospitals, shops, businesses...

Retard.

1. Ragarath

Why do you have to move all that?

And you call me a retard? That to me shows your level of intelligence, name calling on an anonymous forum, really sticks it to them.

Wherever you move to I am sure there will be other schools, buses, hospitals, shops, businesses you know we all have access to these wherever we live. Country, town, tin can.

9. Kubla Cant
    Unhappy

Copper?

the decision applies only to switching providers on BT's Openreach copper network

As I'm not a communications engineer, can somebody explain to me what is the relevance of the element that the conductors are made from? Why shouldn't people who are unfortunate enough to be connected via inferior aluminium wiring benefit from this change?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Copper?

BT's official line is that there is no aluminium cabling left in their network.

Ofcom believed them. People have attempted to dispute this. Ofcom have repeatedly blown those people off.

It eventually comes out from someone deep within that process that the unsaid part of "in the BT network" is that that definition stops at the local distribution cabinets, not at your household demarcation point.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like