back to article Nokia Siemens Networks to 'axe 8,500 jobs' amid biz gobble

Comms hardware maker Nokia Siemens Networks is reportedly planning to lay off as many as 8,500 staff to ratchet up profits as sales slump. Nokia announced today that it had completed the acquisition of Siemens' stake in Nokia Siemens Networks, and rebranded the subsidiary Nokia Solutions and Networks (NSN). The deal was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. o porco

Email addresses

We were told that it would have been hugely disruptive to change our john.doe@nsn.com email addresses to something else. They had to come up with something for that S.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Email addresses

IDC just announced that global Windows Phone sales are up 77% too, so it's starting to look a bit of a brighter future for Nokia...

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Windows Phone sales

Windows phones have a negative margin. An increase in sales means Nokia is losing money more quickly. The €900m transfer from NSN to Nokia is to hide the damage caused by increased sales just like when the sale of their head quarters was credited entirely to the phone division.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows Phone sales

"Windows phones have a negative margin" do you have a source for this?

2. Magnus Ramage

Those brand consultants earned their pay...

So they're rebranding from NSN to NSN? That must have taken their brand consultants some serious amounts of head-scratching to come up with.

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Re: Those brand consultants earned their pay...

Nobby No-necked name, IMHO Guess it was because they'd shelled out for a new logo. to finally get rid of that Pringles crisp under the name. Stil can't recall what the 'S' stands for, without looking it up..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nokia_Siemens_Networks_logo.svg

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not so up to date with NSN as I'm not working there since couple of years already but in my time Finland, India and China were the only locations of NSN factories, at least ex-Nokia ones. So closing all of them would mean moving all NSN production (I guess) to Nokia legacy factories. Doesn't sound that much unlikely I must say.

I have no idea though what about ex-Siemens factories, if they still I have any on line.

4. Christian Berger

Some things you should know

NSN makes backend technology like telephony switches. I cannot speak for what Nokia did in that area, but Siemens is widely known to have stopped development somewhere in the 1990s to save costs. They survived by having some head start for a while. Plus they had the brain dead idea of not enabling their customers to set up their PBXes themselves. So you need to get their engineers in for every new phone!

Companies using Siemens PBXes actually _upgrade_ to H.323 phones and proprietary PBXes, that's how bad they are.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Some things you should know

Thanks, Christian - that's interesting, because I've been trying to make sense of the system at my wife's employer, where , upon starting, she a) had to apply for a phone for her desk, which took longer than getting a computer, and b) then had to go through a separate process to get answering-machine facility on it, for which she had to make a case or have her wages docked a silly amount for the privilege. When she calls people from the phone, it comes up with one of three or four different mobile-type (i.e. 07xx) numbers on caller display, none of which actually allow you to simply ring back. I'm not saying that it is the NSN system that you refer to, but your comment does fit with the idea I'd had that there are some really piss-poor systems in place!

1. Christian Berger

Actually many traditional PBXes are like that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

NSN doesn't do any fixed telephony for a couple of years already, only mobile. I don't know what happened to ex-Siemens PBX products (I remember them well too, from 90s), I guess they were sold to some other company if they are still made

1. Christian Berger

Well the problem with Siemens is its mindset. It leaks throughout the whole company, and its child companies. What Siemens would need to do would be a radical shift away from trying to be a bank.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like