back to article Tough luck, bumpkins! Blighty broadband speed gap misery worsens

Speedy broadband networks in cities continue to infuriate country bumpkins who are running out of patience with their painfully slow internet connections. Sadly, the gap between broadband speeds for urban dwellers and people living in the sticks is set to widen. Communications watchdog Ofcom said today the UK's average fixed- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you want the benefits of city living...

...live in a city. The population density makes providing to services that much more economical. Why run a cable to 1,000 people when you can run the same amount of cable to 10,000+?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Because we don't all simply get to choose where we live?

Just a thought. I have nothing else to add.

1. Anonymous Coward 101

'Because we don't all simply get to choose where we live?'

Yes, you can choose where to live.

1. JDX Gold badge

You're forgetting the demographic of this site. Children don't get to say where they live. But then they also don't contribute anything so the fact they can't torrent Breaking Bad as fast as they like isn't really getting my sympathy.

2. ecofeco Silver badge
          FAIL

>Yes, you can choose where to live.

I know several MILLION people who would disagree with you.

2. Ragarath

Re: If you want the benefits of city living...

On the other hand, why take a company private for short term gain, shafting most of the Country when it should have been kept public and provided provision for all. Otherwise let other people tender e.g. Fijitsu.

3. Bluenose

OK, can you tell me where I can park my 100 dairy cows, 20 acres of crops as well as my pigs, chickens and lambs? You do want to be able to eat don't you?

Last time I looked the "city" is not a suitable place to undertake many of the activities that people in the countryside carry out or for people who provide services to people living in the country to live. On top of this if we all move back to the city, we'd have to knock down huge numbers of detached and semi-detached houses to build blocks of flats or move to multi-occupancy in existing properties in order to accommodate all those country bumpkins.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"OK, can you tell me where I can park my 100 dairy cows, 20 acres of crops as well as my pigs, chickens and lambs? You do want to be able to eat don't you?"

Can you show me the person holding a gun to your head forcing you to be a farmer?

"if we all move back to the city, we'd have to knock down huge numbers of detached and semi-detached houses to build blocks of flats or move to multi-occupancy in existing properties in order to accommodate all those country bumpkins."

No you won't, there's plenty of brown-fiield sites in the city. I have never understood the UK's obsession with destroying its greenbelt. Well, there are tax advantages to new builds - so I guess the Fat Cats in Westminster are to blame (again).

1. Richard 81

"Can you show me the person holding a gun to your head forcing you to be a farmer?"

There may not be one now, but when all the farmers give up and go to the city to... be unemployed I suppose... then there'll probably be one or two gun wielding persons who want to know where all the food has gone.

4. Don Jefe

What I really fail to understand in all this is why it is so difficult to deliver decent broadband to the whole island. It is a small space with no truly rugged or wilderness areas. Is it just corporate infighting or political incompetence or a combination of those things?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What I really fail to understand in all this is why it is so difficult to deliver decent broadband to the whole island"

The cost of provision is too high to make a return at current market prices. That price is going down, not up. Telcos have to borrow to do this stuff - investors consider it a poor risk, which pushes up the cost of borrowing, making it more expensive again. Shareholders would rather take a larger dividend than have those telcos make risky investments.

5. RecQuery

All right then, you do realise that urban living is heavily subsidised.

Question to those of you complaining about rural broadband. How willing would you be to pay the true cost of things like food, water and electricity etc?

Keep in mind that a lot of the funding is specifically earmarked for rural areas but BT are exaggerating the cost and using the remainder to subsidy their city rollouts. I believe The Register even did a story on it at one point.

I'm sure many community fibre projects could do a lot more with the equivalent money awarded to BT.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I live just outside Euston in central London. I'd be thrilled to get as much as 9.6Mbps, but nope, too far away from the exchange for that... and as to fibre, not a hope in hell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Me too. I live in near Shepherds Bush and on a good day I get 4 Mbps but it's too lossy for iPlayer to even cope with radio. No fibre down my street either. Or cable.

1. YP
        FAIL

ditto

I live in South Harrow, guess what 2.5Mbps was about the best I could get (despite BT saying I should get 6), on a very good day, and then it would constantly drop (I wish we had Cu, it's all Al round here). Still seems like sometime next eyar before the cable gets laid, despite the fact that one street over it's already there. So I had no option but to go to Virgin.

2. sted

4 miles from Leeds and 700k it was 1mb but recently has gone down. Why cant the universal service obligation be extended to say 5mb as bt don't care if there is no cable competition

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The universal obligation is unlikely to work. USO doesn't oblige BT or KC to provide service at a loss, it says that they must provide service to everyone (within reasonable limits) and charge everyone the same rate, which is based on the average cost of provision.

Today's prices are based on making a small-ish and slow return on broadband service delivered only where it's profitable. If that was turned into a USO, the average cost would rocket and the price would rise to reflect that - do you fancy paying £100 a month for your 5M?

If I have 10 customers who cost £10 a month to serve today, I can charge £15 and make a profit, eventually. If I have those same 10 customers and then I add 'Mr Rural' who costs me £200 a month under a USO, my cost per customer just increased to £27. I've got to increase my prices to £40 if I want to maintain EBIT, or £32 if I'm prepared to reduce my margins.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Sadly, the gap between broadband speeds for urban dwellers and people living in the sticks is set to widen."

I live in a large city and still only getting 4-5Mbps. Still no fibre!

Still, it doesn't matter really. the 4-5 is good enough for the price I pay (ZERO).

1. Steve Todd

So you're stealing next door's WiFi?

BT seem to be utterly useless at providing fibre connections. I live in a London borough, literally 5 minutes walk to a fibre enabled exchange but they won't provide me with Infinity. Fortunately we're cabled up so I've gone the Virgin route, and so far it is performing up to spec. at 60Mbits/sec.

1. Dave Robinson
        Unhappy

That would be capitalism and market forces at work. Something which city dwellers should be all too familiar with and supportive of :-)

Why should BT rush to install FTTC in an area that already has cable? Particularly given that they are investing heavily in rolling out FTTC to the vast majority of the country ignored by cable companies.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why?

Because VM are pissing people off round where I live. No VM Fibre here. Sill the old CO-Ax and we are less than 10 miles from a lovely shiny VM Office (Hook). There are so many people on it in the evenings that my neighbours piggy back onto my FTTC link just to be able to do a bit of surfing. Last time I did a speedtest for them at 8pm it was 300kb and that is on a supposedly 40Mbit connection.

Yet VM still keep bombarding us holdouts with all adverts/offers etc promoting this fancy VM Fibre stuff.

The FTTC up the street from me not has 10 users. Fab 80Mbits download.

anon coz I don't want yet more VM junk coming through my letterbox.

don't they understand that the more they send, the less likely I am to want to takeup any of their offers?

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
            Paris Hilton

Re: Why?

Odd I thought Virgins broadband was still delivered via Coax whether the advertising says shiny fibre or not (Exactly the same as BT Infinity saying shiny fibre and giving new copper lines to the house)

4. <shakes head>

small village in scotland

circa 2000 people and 2Mbps <sigh>

1. YetAnotherPasswordToRemeber

Re: small village in scotland

Large UK town population 420,000, 4mbps at best, and if I stand on my roof I can see the exchange

2. itzman

Re: small village in scotland

edge of large but underpopulated village in suffolk., I get 5.5Mbps - nearest bloke gets 1.5...he is 250 meters further up the road..

5. James Boag

re small village in scotland

Even Smaller village circa 900 people, 87Mbs <ahhhh>

1. thosrtanner

Re: re small village in scotland

small town in England. That side of the railway: 5Mb+. This side. 1.8Mb

2. mrfill
      Mushroom

Re: re small village in scotland

Small town in north suffolk. 19.5Mbs. Lovely.

50 yards away, 70Mbs but BT can't afford that vast length of string to get Infinity to me until Octemberary 2130

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since when is this relevant?

Who cares about the "gap"? Frankly, I'd be happy to settle for 6mbit provided it's reliable. I'm on Infinity here, but I never use more than that: the only plus point to FTTC for me is greatly increased reliability

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Since when is this relevant?

for those who don't get any adequate broadband or speeds above 4Mb, this "gap" sounds as relevant as describing a housing gap between availability of 5-bedroom houses and 10-bedroom (with pool) houses.

Shouldn't they be worrying about a minimum available speed for all and accept that some areas will get higher due to geographic, financial and other reasons.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I got a perfectly acceptable streaming of Nokia music to my phone across the 3G mobile signal as I drove home last night. It played better than Spotify on my laptop when connected to home wifi.

the UK government seems to be insistent on getting us online for accessing government (national and local services) but unless it plans on delivering my neighbours planning application for a kitchen extension as a full HD video presentation with 5:1 sound, I don't see that a very fat pipe is needed.

2. nematoad

"Shouldn't they be worrying about a minimum available speed for all and accept that some areas will get higher due to geographic, financial and other reasons."

Great idea that, so long as those stuck in the slow lane get a discount.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Great idea that, so long as those stuck in the slow lane get a discount."

Provision costs the same, regardless of the speed you receive. If discounts for slow speeds became mandatory, expect to either find ISPs refusing to serve people, or the 'discounted' rate being today's price with those getting higher speeds paying more.

2. HamsterNet

Don't worry, one day you will discover Cat videos and will need that extra speed to watch them in HD..

7. Simon Barker
    FAIL

Equality

The obvious solution is to make fast internet connections illegal, surely if we're all on 2 mbps or less than we'll all be equally happy yes?

1. itzman
      Unhappy

Re: Equality

ITYM equally miserable.

The aim of all social legislation, it seems :-(

8. Rosie Davies

RFC 1149

and all that.

At the present moment in time, what are you planning on shoving down a pipe bigger than 10Mbps that is worth looking at?

This smacks of the mildly irrelevant clock-speed wars that finally came to a halt in the naughties when everyone realised that their computer could do stuff much faster than they would ever need it to do and....of look, new shinies: phonez!!!

Flah!

Rosie

1. JDX Gold badge

what are you planning on shoving down a pipe bigger than 10Mbps

Perhaps downloading or even uploading files for work purposes?

Perhaps downloading (non-streamed) video purchases/rentals?

Perhaps you live in a house with your family or other people in a shared house... multiple video-streams will quickly suck up 10Mbps

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: what are you planning on shoving down a pipe bigger than 10Mbps

in a shared house... multiple video-streams will quickly suck up 10Mbps

So buy more phone lines. Would you expect all the people in a shared house to use only one car, or phone, or bed, and still get the same performance as they would have if they had exclusive use?

1. Richard 81

"Would you expect all the people in a shared house to use only one car, or phone, or bed..."

Yes. Yes. Well maybe 150 years ago.

The one car question depends on where you live, but 20 years ago most people I knew only had one phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> but 20 years ago most people I knew only had one phone.

And so they shared it. Sometimes they got no use because someone else was using it. If they wanted an unlimited phone that was theirs to use fully, 24 hours a day, they had to get one just for them.

Why should internet in a shared house be any different?

2. Kubla Cant

@Phil O'Sophical: I'm reasonably sure that buying more phone lines would simply move the contention from inside the house to outside it.

2. itzman

Its shoving stuff UP to my hosting server that gets me. 448k is a miserably slow way to post a cameras worth of pictures to give to someone else.

But he came, and we burned a DVD instead. problem solved. BMW faster than internet!

2. Sarev

Re: RFC 1149

> At the present moment in time, what are you planning on shoving down a pipe bigger than 10Mbps that is worth looking at?

Erm, you do remember this is Reg readers? We mostly work in computers, therefore we mostly use computers heavily, therefore we probably have lots of important stuff on large hard drives (build trees, databases, etc) never mind photos and videos - one RAW file from my camera is 17 MiB.

So, exhibit A: Off-site backups that take less than a lifetime to finish uploading?

No chance of me using cloud backup here with 3 Mbps down, 320 Kbps up. Yes, that single RAW file takes around 7 minutes for me to upload to a cloud backup server. If I go out for the day and take 200 photos, it'd take the best part of 24 hours to upload the sodding backups...

9. AQ42

Well, I'm "in the sticks" and getting 7.2 on my ADSL 2+ connection. "In the sticks" is relative because I am 3 miles from the centre of a major city but for reasons long lost in the mists of time they built a small local exchange to serve the village which my area technically is. So being classed as a small rural exchange it has been way down the list for upgrades every time - System X, ADSL, ADSL max, 21 CN etc. Then I have a long and tortuous route from that exchange to my house. What makes it even more irritating is that if I drive exactly one mile towards the city centre I am face to face with fibre cabinets left, right and centre all plastered with "Fibre Broadband is here" stickers.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Monty Python "You were lucky...." post

1MB in not very rural Anglesey. No options for anything better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Monty Python "You were lucky...." post

"1MB in not very rural Anglesey. No options for anything better."

On the island too. I was on about 1 until I did the ring wire thingy - getting about 3.8 now, according to my router. SNR 9 dB - think that's bad, from stuff I was looking at when I did it a few years ago (comms isn't really my thing.). Might be worth a go, depending on the phone wiring in your place. And assuming oyu haven't already tried it - sorry if I'm insulting you with the suggestion.

Can't agree about "not very rural Anglesey", though. Can't think of anywhere here that isn't rural, strictly speaking :)

11. Tanuki
    Meh

It Rained. It's 472Kbit/second for you!

I live somewhere relatively-remote and my SDSL is delivered via a couple of miles of overhead phone-line: I get about 2Mbit/sec in each direction - when the weather's good.

Alas with the recent thunderstorms the router's been disconnecting rather regularly so the path is currently retraining itself s-l-o-w-l-y back towards 2Mbit/sec which it'll probably reach by the weekend.

In winter or when it's windy, it's trees bringing the overhead line down.

[Paradoxically, I also have BT fibre-to-the-premises: each night I park my car on top of a dirty great concrete-manhole with several inch-thick trunks running through it.. I'm sure if I offered them a kidney or two BT could dig a 30-foot-long trench to run some fibre up to the house then provide me with a whole slew of MPLS services over a 40Gbit/sec circuit...]

12. Tompkinson

Free money! But sold out.

A bit like our broadband. Village near Cambridge, 600m from the exchange, 20Mbit/s connection but frequently 0Mbits/s actually available because of massive conention for a feeble total bandwidth. I am paying for something I don't get - I call that fraud. I have a great idea, I will buy from an ISP who does not use BT for wholesale connections. Hang on - oh.

1. itzman
      Headmaster

Re: Free money! But sold out.

That MAY in fact benefit you.

Unless BT simply has no more total backhaul capacity.

BT does not run wholesale customers over the same backhaul virtual circuits. OK they may be over the same physical, but how much they get allotted depends on how much they spend.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Free money! But sold out.

" I will buy from an ISP who does not use BT for wholesale connections"

It's not who they buy it from that's likely to be the problem, it's how much they buy.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slower broadband for all please

Look, the slower the connection, the less chance you are going to use it to corrupt children by watching naughty videos or piccies. Let's return to ascii only, much safer. Less bandwidth = less kitten smiting.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WiMAX coming to my village...

Currently on 2mbps adsl. Theres a small startup installing WiMAX masts in Cambridgeshire, apparantly they are deploying to my village because of interest, so in a couple of months should get 30mbps. 100 quid prob for aerial, but this could be a good option for rural areas, down with 4g and expensive tariffs :p

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

Re: WiMAX coming to my village...

I can't see why more companies havent done this, smaller companies can fill in the gap here offer decent wireless for users without the cost of running cabling to everyones household.

15. Tom 7

Parkinsons law applies

shit expands to fill the bandwidth available.

16. Haku

I used to get 5mbit and be a smidge jealous of those who got 16mbit+ also on BE

Now I'm on BT Infinity 2 I get just under 80mbit, and I'm practically in the countryside (I look out my windows and see fields and hills & homes, not a cold concrete cityscape)

You just gotta be in the right part of the countryside to get the best of both worlds.

17. ecofeco Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Still FAR higher than American Cities Avg

Basic broadband in my top 10 city here in the US avgs 3 down and 0.5 up. On a good day.

You want anything faster, you are going to pay $50+ per month. Faster being 6 down and 1.5 up. If, IF, you can get it at all.

12? We can only dream. Or be very wealthy.

18. jmk89

Northern Ireland is the opposite

Belfast (NI's capital city) has fibre optic broadband precisely nowhere, and the average speed of the standard broadband is ~8Mb.

Head out into the countryside/small towns/villages and you will find fibre galore, around 40Mb is the norm, and I know one guy with 100Mb at his house! Go figure!

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Northern Ireland is the opposite

NI is a microcosm of the UK as a whole, it has the same proportion of people in the A/B/C marketing classes, is small, and is eligible for all sorts of EU subsidies. It makes a great test bed, so companies love to test new stuff there. It was one of the first places that BT rolled out fibre in the main phone network.

Belfast suffers like any city, it's a lot more expensive to dig up city streets than country roads.

19. nanchatte

I'd be more concerned about country to country gaps...

Gap? How about this little nugget… Between 1999-2002, I lived in a teeny tiny town called Kinosaki in Hyogo, Japan and had all you can eat access to ISDN at 128kbps. In 2002 I moved to Adachi in North Tokyo I was on a plan, IIRC called USEN-Broadgate 01 and they rolled a fibre to my home on condition of 6 month contract Actual speed was about 85-90Mbps for about 50 quid a month. After about two years or so, they offered me a monitor program of USEN-Broadgate 02.. for 9800 yen (About 150 a month at the time). It was GIGABIT fibre and achieved an actual speed, if I recall of 93MB (BYTES!) per second… I remember at the time I had to RAID my hard disk to download disk images from Microsoft Dev at full speed…. And with a Pentium 2.8 C single core, it was serious overkill...

Kinosaki was just moving to 1.5Mbps/8Mbps two tier provision.. That gave an approximate 60~125:1 ratio between countryside and city.

Sometimes, things really are just too far ahead of the curve… (after three months and many prodigious downloads, I opted for 01, despite the bragging rights 02 gave)…

Soon after, they discontinued 02 for home use.

Now, since I live in a shared building not a detached, a one gigabit fibre has to serve all 10 or so apartments, so at night when everyone is streaming 4KFAP.COM videos, things can get a little bit sluggish.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too many get forgotten

I'm in a suburban area 2km from the exchange - but the line is long so I only get 1MBps.

Too far from the cab for FTTC.

5 metres too far from line of sight for WiMax class broadband 24MBps (my end of terrace next door neighbour could have it, and so could I if I could get his permission for an antenna on his roof grr).

Satellite limits too low / expensive

3G signal luckily available but data limits suck for 3G routers.

I know some Rural users are completely out of luck for all those options but I think BT et al are happy to settle for less than 75-90% coverage even in towns.

21. Simon Westerby 1

"a city" != "the city (of london)"

I live in "a city" and don't even get 4meg...

I just wish they would stop spouting thsi BS about "cities" having massive bb speeds...

The City probably does...

a couple of other big cities might...

The rest of us? dream on...

22. Davegoody
    WTF?

I would KILL for 9mb or thereabouts.....

I moved from Nottingham where I have over 100mb of stable service from Virgin (terrible customer service, but great broadband) - to Melksham in Wiltshire. I am a mile from the exchange and have Sky "unlimited" Fibre and have at best 3.5mb of flaky service. All this after 5 visits from a Sky "engineer" who did not seem to know his arse from his elbow. Get a faster and more reliable connection from my (definitely not unlimited) Orange 3G Hotspot from my trusty iPhone. GRRRR

23. Tom 11

meh...

In the centre of Sheffield I get 160 mbs from Dick Branson, quite often more. I've moved house to Killamarsh (10 miles away and the last suburb before rolling hills, and can only get BT toss, still 76mps though, so no major scrote throbbing there. The rents live in a tiny town outside of Matlock with no urban centre for 30 miles in any direction, they still get 36mbps.

Are you sure that everyone realises they actually have to pay top whack subscription to get decent service? some of the figures here seem pretty unbelievable.....

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How fast?

12 miles north of Watford, England, I get 430kb/s over copper and have done so for the last decade or so. To move to fibre I would have to accept (and pay for) all the other crap Virgin stuffs in the package. There's an effective duopoly (cartel?) here, as only two companies own the physical infrastructure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How fast?

"There's an effective duopoly (cartel?) here, as only two companies own the physical infrastructure."

It's not a Cartel as that would mean organised collaboration on pricing - but BT's are set by Ofcom.

Normally in a Cartel you'd expect to see high pricing - but UK broadband pricing is low - which is partly the problem. It's too low to make anyone else want to rollout a network - the return is too little, over too long a period - unless you're prepared to run your business like a utility.

25. chluke

I would love to get 9.9 average. I get 2mb where i like which is about 6 mile from Carlisle. In Carlisle I have two offices and they are both Fairly central one gets 4.5mb and the other gets 5.mb. The problem for me is that the wife uses it and so does my son and daughter (6 and 8) we are at a complete stand still.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like