back to article GenieDB uncorks database-as-a-service

Startup database company GenieDB has announced a cloud-hosted database named – we apologize in advance for what you're about to read – GenieDB Globally Distributed MySQL-as-a-Service (DBaaS). The tongue-twisting tech was announced on Monday, and sees the company claim to have "solved the problem of geographical [data] …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Ever more data in *whose* hands?

BTW I seem to recall Lotus Notes solved the synching of multiple databases over low bandwidth data lines decades ago.

If you're Google or Amazon no doubt this is very exciting.

For the those of us who do care what jurisdiction our data is in (IE pretty much any place not the US) not so much.

1. streaky
      Facepalm

Re: Ever more data in *whose* hands?

Trying to figure out if serious - but if you are it solves a completely different problem.

2. Kubla Cant

"putting all those headaches of DB administration off of your own plate so you can focus on app development"

My experience suggests that the headaches of DB administration involve things that a DBaaS supplier is unlikely to do for you - efficient design of the physical schema, partitioning, management of storage areas, query optimisation, persuading junior developers that primary keys and normal form make things easier, not harder.

"For millions of dollars you can build similar looking technologies on Oracle or even on MySQL"

On Oracle, maybe. But if you've spent millions of dollars on a MySQL installation, I'd like to see the receipts.

3. 27escape
    Stop

Doesn't NuoDB already do this

From the data they repeatedly send me, they do

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like