back to article MPs get secret squirrel dossier of 'lawyers, megabiz hiring hackers'

Blue-chip firms who allegedly hired private investigators to unlawfully hack systems for personal and sensitive information have been named in a secret list submitted to Parliament. That's the same sort of alleged skullduggery that ended up bringing down Rupert Murdoch’s best-selling Sunday tabloid News of the World. Law …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Breaking news

The head of SOCA resigned today. It was revealed that his wife (a senior former Whitehall official) is the head lawyer at a major global security/investigations company; and that together they had recently set up a private business. None of this had been declared to the 'authorities' who he was supposed to be working for.

I find it amazing that nobody in the police, the security services or the government knew about this .............. Oh, wait a minute ....... we're a third world country aren't we?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Breaking news

"we're a third world country aren't we?"

Yes you are. But you and your friends can just keep bashing the USA for as long as it takes to make you feel better.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes you are. But you and your friends can just keep bashing the USA for as long as it takes to make you feel better.

Lovely - but that's pretty much the same. Rigged elections, intimidation of government opponents, unlawful incarceration - I now know where Mugabe gets all his ideas.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You'd think they would notice while reading all his email and phone calls

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Guess who's company is on the list :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I don't think that Parliament should be part of a 'secret squirrel' club where we are given a list that is important and should be in the public interest and we are not able to publish it."

One would hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to publish this without investigating first.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Nah, they've warned the companies/people on the list so that they have time to get their bribes in before the 'investigative' round kicks in.

Solid business sense.

3. Don Jefe

Report Title

That's the dumbest title for a report I think I've ever seen. Private Investigators: The Rouge Element in Private Investigations. Not only does it sound like the title of a sappy romance novel, it sounds like it totally missed its target too.

It seems like the police would be the rouge element in all this. They are the ones actively breaking the laws they are supposed to uphold. The other people are just a bunch of tools doing what tools do to each other.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Headmaster

Re: Report Title

Rouge, a bit on the red side.

Rogue, a bit on the wild side.

2. Justicesays
      Headmaster

I admit, the rouge element does sound like something from a romance novel.

I would be more concerned about the rogue elements myself.

3. Don Jefe
      Happy

Dammit.

Well, I like my new title better than the original anyway.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

"Well, I like my new title better than the original anyway."

True.

But you'll have to go a long way to beat "conslutant."

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
          Thumb Up

Re: Rouge and conslutant

You know, you two are a prime example of why I prefer to read my news here :)

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Happy

"You know, you two are a prime example of why I prefer to read my news here :)"

Credit where its due jake coined the word "conslutant"

But I'm sure there are many more of them and it does deserve a wider audience.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
              Thumb Up

What I love about (Jake's) conslutant is that it has perfect plausible deniability - to those not in the know it merely looks like a typo. A consistent one, but you can sit there in all innocence - beautiful. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.