back to article People really liked our Xperia. Throw in a weak yen and KERCHING - Sony

The weak yen and strong sales of its smartphones in Japan combined to help Sony report a better-than-expected operating profit in its fiscal first quarter. Things were looking good for the one-time electronics giant at home, where foreign exchange rates were helping its bank balances and its flagship Xperia smartphone was well …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shagbag

I didn't.

1. N13L5
      Mushroom

Sony would be retarded to sell off 20% of its most profitable division whose future value is far more assured than a gadget business ever will be.

Why doesn't Loeb offer to buy 20% of Sony's TV business, maybe Sony's board would be more willing to talk about that :D

Loeb's suggestion is like this: Here, Sony, we'll help you out and buy a chunk of your most valuable assets so you can dump the money on the tricky parts of your business, where more money really isn't the deciding factor of success!

Go die in a Fire, Loeb!

2. Lee Taylor
    Mushroom

My friends on her second Experia Z, first went back as the wifi reception was so weak you had to stand next right next to the router to get any signal.

The second wifi was find on, 1 month later the middle part of the usb connector came out stuck in the chargher lead. CPW answer when asked for repair/replacment, physical damage not under warranty and they wouldnt do a PAID repair on it saying it was beyond economical repair!!

She manghed to get it repaired for £20 but the non authorised repair center she took it too says the warranty will be void now and they cant guarantee it will still be "water proof"

So if your thinking of one avoid like the plague as both problems are well reported on the net!

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

You should have threatened CPW with Small Claims Court. Within the first six months it is the supplier's duty to demonstrate problems were caused by misuse. This clearly was not the case. Threatening with Small Claims is normally enough for them to cave and provide a replacement. At the end of the day they will get it from Sony for free but they just don't want to do the paperwork.

3. JarekG

I had Xperia X1 and now use Xperia Arc and I live both of those phones.

My Arc is 2 years old and still doing what I want it to do.

1. JarekG

Should have said Love both of them.

4. Jim Wilkinson
    Thumb Up

Had a P model for nearly a year now and loving it. Yes, some compromises with memory etc, but that was my choice. Sound quality on the supplied earphones is outstanding. Camera shots acceptable, but no mobile phone can really compete with a dedicated camera that has a decent lens. Syncs contacts and calendar to my Mac with SyncMate. Biggest issue is that Android apps are less well presented than equivalents on my iPod. But that's Android and not the phone.

1. Davidoff
      Holmes

No mobile phone can really compete with a dedicated camera

Well, Nokia N8, 808 and 1020 can. The latter two can even compete with some SLRs.

My N8 still produces better pictures than most point and shoot cameras.

1. Richard 22

Re: No mobile phone can really compete with a dedicated camera

My N8 died after an unexpected rainstorm got it quite wet. A real shame as the camera quality was outstanding (and the Xenon flash meant taking pictures indoors actually gave good results).

Replaced it with an Xperia V (waterproof) - the camera isn't as good (though I'm not sure there's any significantly better on an Android phone right now), but it's a better all-round smartphone. Not that I disliked Symbian, but the processor on the N8 is underpowered, and the App selection is much worse. Although I do miss Nokia maps and Sleeping Screen.

1. no_RS

Re: No mobile phone can really compete with a dedicated camera

Being able to complete on specs is one thing but the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony with it's Mojo back.

PS4, NEX cameras, the suberb Xperia phones and more besides.

6. no_RS

Giving them away

Sony have been shipping more Xperia Z's because they have been giving them away with Sony TV's, obviously run out of phones as now it is a soundbar on offer, considering the crap sound from the telly maybe I should have waited for the soundbar..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like